Activating Rear Speakers in the HK Head - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Audio

Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Shrug
Default Activating Rear Speakers in the HK Head

Ok HD audio experts...
I want to take my old HogTunes Amp and install it in my Tour Pak wired to the HogTunes speakers installed there. I'll extend power back there to a combined power/speaker plug and make the entire system detachable and then follow that up with the Boom Audio bass ports, but for now, I have a few questions:
  1. What's involved in activating the rear speakers on a stock HK head? Do I need to take it to the dealer?
  2. When the rears are activated, is any front/rear fader control available from the handlebar controls?
  3. Can anyone tell me from which harness connector ports I would extend wiring to the rear pods?
  4. Can the rear speaker lines be connected to the harness without dealer intervention providing rear audio, but without front/rear fader control?
  5. I'm considering having Iron Cross Audio install line level inputs for my Arc amp and change out the display to match my blue gauges. Does anyone know if they can activate the rear speakers?
Any insight appreciated!

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Blue Knights Teas Chapter XLVI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrug View Post
  1. I'm considering having Iron Cross Audio install line level inputs for my Arc amp and change out the display to match my blue gauges. Does anyone know if they can activate the rear speakers?

Iron Cross already answered my email. They say they will activate the rear at no charge with the other work I'm having done there. Cool!

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Life Member

Looks like youve got it covered, but I'll throw in my .02 I have hogtunes also, the amp I got from them takes the front 2 channels and splits it into 4, so I didnt have to mess w/ the HK.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Life Member

Thanks JJ.
I had the HogTunes installed the way you described and there was no independent front/rear volume control. I yanked it when I installed the Arc amp and Hertz speakers. Since it's laying around and since I'm sending my HK head in to Iron Cross anyway, I figured I'd rig it up in the Tour Pak.

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Life Member

Yeh sometimes I wish I had the fader controls. It could probably still work if I got the HK program then run the amp in 4ch mode instead of 2ch
Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Life Member

I'm doing it primarily because I can for free. ICR is activating the rear speakers at no additional cost. All I need to do is extend the speaker wires from the HK harness and run power to the Tour Pak through the same detachable plug.

I still need to know which HK harness plug and wires if anyone reading this thread knows.

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Old 12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Hangaround

I still need to know which HK harness plug and wires if anyone reading this thread knows.[/B][/QUOTE]

Shrug,
I think (IIRC) that I had to install the HD accessory harness to run the rear speakers.
It's the one from HD that also allows you to run the rest of the HK accessories like gps, intercom etc.
I will try to find the part number for you.

Here it is: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Boom!™ Audio System Wiring Harnesses

Allow installation of Audio components on Ultra models.

70169-06A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Allows installation of Bike-to-Bike Communications, Intercom, XM Satellite Radio Kit or Rear Speaker components.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHX, FLHTC, FLTR, FLTRX and FLHXXX models equipped with Advanced Audio Radio.

MSRP US $109.95

Last edited by Vettster; 12-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Life Member

Not sure what set up he has, but SINCECRAZY has an amp and tour pack all made detachable. Might PM him for some info.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Hangaround

So does the dealer have to activate the rear speakers or will buying the wiring adapter be all that is needed?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM

ahhh this is a good thread and exactly what I want to do. I wouldn't be happy with the fairing speakers and saddle bag lid speakers on the same volume control.

Shrug, why are you sending your HK unit to ICR?? Is is malfunctining?

I'd like to activate mine as well, but don't have any other reason to send it to them. It would be nice to know how to do it ourselves.