slip-ons vs true duals - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Default slip-ons vs true duals

Sup y'all,

If I went with the true duals, is it plug and play? would I have to map, dyno, etc?? Dealer rep. says it is necessary for the 2012.

If I went with the slip ons, would there be a significant difference in the sound?

also, what is the difference between the stage 1, stage 2...etc air cleaners?

any comments on this matter would be helpful.

thanks!

PS
oh, and the exhaust is 2 to 1 to 2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Life Member

If you go with any style aftermarket exhaust system, you will need to upgrade your ECM or you'll probably run too lean. This is because the new head pipes will flow better than the stock head pipes.

If you doing complete exhaust & ECM upgrade, then you should do a freer-flowing air cleaner air filter too so it allows better airflow on the intake side. Doing those three mods is what is commonly referred to as Stage 1. Dyno tuning is not really required, as there are many maps that will accommodate these enhancements...ask the manufacturer of the ECM upgrade for a map based on your chosen aftermarket components.

Stage 2 is when you open up the engine and add a hotter cam, maybe pushrods, etc. Stage 3 & 4 is when you do much more internal engine work(hi-comp pistons, head flow enhancements, etc). All these Stage levels are somewhat variable based on individual interpretation, but the Stage 1 components(complete exhaust, air cleaner and ECM upgrades) are very commonly done.

You can add just slip-on mufflers without doing the ECM/air cleaner upgrades as the stock head pipes will still be the most restrictive point. In this case, you will get a louder (maybe better sounding) exhaust note, but little to no increase HP or TQ.

Last edited by SharkNose; 04-11-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM

Thank u sir, that sure answered a lot of questions...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Another question

I have a question regarding this topic kind of. If I was to buy slips on now (maybe something like Rinehart slip ons) could I buy the header pipes later? Would those slip ons still work or are they designed to just fit the stock header pipes?

Thanx!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Life Member

Most slip-ons/mufflers manufacturer specs will state their inlet diameter, and will have the same diameter pipe as the stock or most aftermarket head pipes, but I say "most". Check the diameter size of the slip-on/muffler inlet spec and compare to your stock(or aftermarket) head pipe at the end to make sure.

When you get into aftermarket pipes for serious ultra-high HP, they may have differing diameters where the head pipe/slip-on joins.

Remember...measure twice and buy once!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Hangaround

Don't forget, anything you buy must have provisions for the O2 sensors or a way to fool the ecm. When I initially changed out my stock head pipe for a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header, I didn't have to do any fuel adjustment. The stock mufflers sounded MUCH better, and I picked up 4mpg to boot. If you want to see how much the catalytic converter restricts your exhaust, just pull the right hand muffler off and start bike up. I bet you'll hardly notice a difference in sound! The other benefit to getting rid of head pipe/ cat converter was a huge decrease in felt heat on right leg. I ended up with the complete system(A/C,mufflers and header) from Fuel Moto and used the Power Vision with custom map to make it all work. I'm very happy with the way my bike runs, and I consistently get 50+ mpg out of it.