Difference between 2 and 4 ohm systems? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Audio

Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Difference between 2 and 4 ohm systems?

I'm getting ready to purchase the RF 300x2 amp and need to choose either 2 or 4 ohm speakers to use with my HD Head unit on my 12 FLTRX.

I'm headed to Laughlin River Run and plan to talk to audio vendors there, but realize that they may tell me anything to get me to buy what their selling. Is 2 ohm better or worse than a 4 ohm speaker set up with the 300x3 amp? I don't plan on buying there, just get educated and will purchase when I return.

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Wow, nobody? I'm interested also..I'll be the first one to tell ya I dont know squat when it comes to stereos. 2 ohms 4ohms, bridging,RMS....I would love to add an amp to my HK and JM's, What if I want to add more speakers in the fairing? Multiple amps? it's all
2010 FLTRX | Stage 1 |SE tuned |84.07 HP | 95.28TQ | Progressive 940's -1 | Progressive monotubes-2 | Performance Machine l Clearview | Cyclesmiths | Klockwerks | Hells Foundry | MCC | Corbin | J&M | Yafee| Ness | RSD l Covingtons l CustomDynamics | Garmin | Badlands |LePera | TopShop,...to be continued
Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Life Member

A lot of your high end speakers are 2 ohm, remember you can drive 4 ohm speakers with a 2ohm amp, but your amp won't last long if you try to drive 2ohm speakers with a 4 ohm amp. If you drive 4 ohm speakers with a two ohm amp, you will not get the full potential of the amp. Look through the audio threads, a lot is explained, I would explain more, but I'm on my phone and typing a lot isn't fun.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

So with my HK head unit and my JM's, I should run an amp at 2 ohms.exbr300x2.
Same if I want to add 2 more speakers and another amp in the fairing?
2010 FLTRX | Stage 1 |SE tuned |84.07 HP | 95.28TQ | Progressive 940's -1 | Progressive monotubes-2 | Performance Machine l Clearview | Cyclesmiths | Klockwerks | Hells Foundry | MCC | Corbin | J&M | Yafee| Ness | RSD l Covingtons l CustomDynamics | Garmin | Badlands |LePera | TopShop,...to be continued
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

See that's the issue...The RF 300x2 amp will run either 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. I had heard something about detail ohm speakers making a Amp run hotter.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Car audio trends resulted in the "nominal 4 ohm" impedance for most speakers because of the difficulty in getting power for speakers off of a 12v system. In order to get the big power out of a 12 amp the power supply has to step up the amps votage quite a bit higher sometimes well over a 100v for high powered amps.

Home audio usually uses 8 ohm speakers, and car audio 4. One part of this is that car audio manufacturers make car speakers alot less sensetive than the home audio versions. They benefit from this because they get to charge more to sell you bigger wattage amplifiers.

A 2 ohm stable amplifier will usually produce less distortion and heat if run at 4 ohms. However many amp can double their 4 ohm output when going to 2 ohms. Now on a bike that's moving the threshold for hearing distortion is significantly higher than in a car our house. Music is dynamic and your amp doesn't see a 4 or 2 ohm load constantly.

To get the most volume out of your PBR300x2 you will want 2 ohm speakers. This may limit your choices to primarliy speakers made for harleys. Staying at 4 ohms will allow you to choose from more marine grade speakers. You can also run 2 4 ohm speakers on each channel of that amp to create a 2 ohm load. Two speakers will reach the same spl as 1 with each speaker doing less work than the 1 by itself.

My pbr 300x2 birthsheet say 124w x2 at 4ohms RMS, and 190w x2 at 2 ohms. Thats about 50w extra, but it will probably only net a decibel or two more in sound output.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on this, but it was explained to me that 4 ohms allow for more watts, which means louder speakers. Not sure how true that is.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Jericho,

Thanks for the very formative response. This helps a lot.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Life Member

no disagreements here

I plan on testing a bunch of speakers sometime soon, both 2 and 4ohm, marine, non-marine and quasi-marine. should have some real world knowledge of what sounds better or, more importantly, what is actually louder, clearer, less taxing on the amp, all of the above.

I'll be using the PBR300x2 to start with, if I'm disappointed in the clarity, knowing I have "good" speakers, may move a more sensitive amp.

So far I'm planning on testing polkdb651, polkmm651, hybridaudiomirus, and whatever I can get my hands on, I may test the stock and boom speakers also for comparison. If anyone wants to send some to add to the list, let me know. This will be all in the name of quality, usefulness, enjoyablity.

as explained to me, having more speakers on a bike is better because, asking a single 6.5 to fill in the entire sound is futile. From a RG member running 720w RMS and 8 speakers. He ran it about 400w, untaxed and it sounded good, kinda like neano's rig.

so yes, having more is better, less tax on the speakers and amp.

always check the ohm resistance with a meter before just "trying it" to see what happens.

a 2ohm setup will be hotter and louder, all other things aside, maybe on the bike it can be acceptable considering the road noise. and if it is louder, maybe it can be driven less.

100w output for a single speaker is one hell of a benchmark, I think the MAX watts are super important too.

using the PBR2 for comparison.

for example: running two pair of 4ohm speaker, in parallel, would draw 96w per speaker, x4 speakers - 400W real sound

maybe you want to use 1/2 to 2/3'rds of that for clarity.

or same amp, into single pair of 2ohm speakers, speaker max at 100W so you have unused potential - 200W real sound

more speakers. more sound.

the bigger the ohms, the better it sounds. to me, but one a bike...

most pro audio is 16ohm, at least say, marshall gear, every once in a while a guy would list a 4x12 cab on craigslist with 8ohm speakers, guess what, louder speaker cabinet, but the fidelity would make you want to hurl compared to the exact same parts in 16ohm.

yet to be determined, but I'd guess the 4ohm parts will sound better.

2ohm are direct replacement for your factory radio.

I bought some MM's (2ohm) and can't wait to hear them.

I have two pairs of 4 ohm speakers running off the front channel of the factory radio and it IS much louder, thin and crappy, but louder.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Grey beard

There are many threads on audio, but so far, this has been the most direct and to the point. I have followed h-donuts audio posts, and the above posts by jericho are a great explaination.