Road Glide banner

2015 RGS shocks

12K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  NAMVET6970 
#1 · (Edited)
I had the bags off to take a look to see if I could make a lowering kit work on the RG (dealer said they have installed them on the 2015 specials without a problem... I doubt it based on my attempt and the springs contacting the bags)

Anyway, I noticed the shocks seem to be installed opposite of each other, the adjustable on the left side is correct with the knob on top and the shaft down but on the right side the shock has the shaft pointing upwards. Can anyone confirm that is the case on their, seems sort of backwards to me having the shaft of the shock facing opposite directions. Thanks

#2 ·
You can always check part numbers. If directional, they'll have different part numbers.

#12 ·
You guys get this figured out!???

This is down rite Ingnorant!

I thought Harley did Drug Tests in these Factorys!???

Thats way Worse than workn at Meijer for 28 years, dropn a Jar of Mayonaise, getn sent for a Drug Test, and Failn It! ,...loosen ur Job after that and all ur Pension , Profit Sharing and Benefits for Life!

geeeeeeez!

#30 ·
Mine was a bitch too when it was upside down. You can see where the seat bracket made contact with the shock. It's easier with the shock correct but not by much... If I could slide more than a piece of paper between the bracket and shock it would be a miracle.

#17 ·
2015 RGS Shocks

As what has been stated and per my new manual on page: 2-79 it states:
"Manual adjust shock absorbers: Install both with the rod end down". My right shock is on upside down. Does anyone know the bulletin number from HD on this? I would love to mention that to the dealer when I go back.
Thanks

#18 ·
I have the same problem with the quick detachable luggage rack and backrest being too tight and a pain to get on and off. One post here talks about the connectors being oval or egg shape so you can turn them to loosen and tighten as needed, mine are round so that was ruled out. Saw this post so went to look at my shocks. According to what I'm reading here my right shock is on upside down too, see picture. I plan to turn it over later today and see if that will fix my rack. Still waiting on my 2015 Service Manual so thanks for posting the info.

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

#21 ·
Turned my back right shock over and made no difference on the quick disconnect rack being so tight that even the dealer had to use a hammer. I re-visited the post about turning the black connectors and tried that again. Well it works now! I stand corrected. They don't look offset but by turning two of them a 1/4 turn I can now lock and release the quick disconnects by hand.

Still with the shock upside down does it really matter? Waiting for an answer from my dealer and I also would like to see the service bulletin on this.

#22 ·
My dealer Service Manager just called me and he said that yes there is a service bulletin on this. HD said it does not matter which way the shock is mounted but that there were some quick disconnect back rest that would not fit correctly because they would hit the top of the shock which is where they mount to. So they recommend turning the shock over if the back rest hits the top of the shock. If you don't have a quick disconnect back rest than again it does not matter which way it is mounted.

#23 ·
2015 RGS Shocks

I would not have even thought of that and my quick disconnect backrest does hit the top of the right shock. Glad I found out about this before needing to use the backrest. I will be contacting the dealer in the morning to make an appointment as I have had my bike about two weeks. I going to let them do it.

#41 ·
lowering kit

Hey guys, I bought a lowering kit from Ebay and installed it, well the shocks started to rub holes in the bags, they put grooves in both bags where the springs rubbed so I removed the kit soon as I saw it. I ran the kit on the bike for a week. The springs don't rub until riding. Also I could not use the lowest setting on the lowering kit because it hit the bags hard. The kit is for the 2015 RGS which I have. My buddy also did it and it rubs his bags too. Same bike.

#33 · (Edited)
So......does anyone have the actual MOCO technical service bulletin number for this rear shock installation orientation? I want to use certain detachables on my '15 RGS, but I dont want have any problems.;). The spring on my right shock is top-side orientated. I suppose I could re-orient it myself, but I want the dealership where I bought it from do any/all of the TSBs.

#36 ·
Mine was upside down as well. I asked the tech when I took it in for my 1k service and he said it was installed correctly. Needless to say when I got home I turned it around and my backrest now goes on without any trouble.

Funny thing is when I walked the line of new RG's all but one was installed upside down. Go figure

#40 ·
Service Bulletin Number

I have the same problem with my '15 RG special. The MoCo service bulletin number is M1386A. I called Harley Davidson corporate. Harley said once they knew about the problem they contacted Showa(the shock manufacturer) and Showa stated that running the shock in either direction was fine. After speaking with my dealer it seems they fixed whatever clearance issue for late year '15 and '16 bikes so the shock on those bikes are installed with the shaft down. According to corporate it effects some '14 '15 Road Glide and Street Glide specials. Hope this helps clear some thing up.

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.