True Duals on 2012 RGU - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Default True Duals on 2012 RGU

OK .. looking for feedback from the phenomenal mindshare of this forum.

I want my true duals back again. I have removed the cat. But even with that, the rear exhaust runs right next to my leg and my wife's feet. Last night it was a relatively cool night (low 70's) and she was extending her foot out into the wind several times to keep it cool.

I want my true duals back ....

So how can I do that on a 2012 RGU?

Is it the limited length of the sensor cables that prevent anyone from making a true dual?

Anyone find a vendor that sells a kit for retro-fitting a true dual on a 2012 bike?

Or is there a vendor out there that I'm overlooking with 2012 model duals.

I'm willing to try anything.

V&H Dresser Duals Exhaust Headers, Sampson Rolled Oval Slip On Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker Stage 2 Intake, DynoJet Power Vision ECU programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Life Member

Have you checked out Rinehart yet?

http://rinehartracing.com/exhausts/true-duals
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Grey beard

Your options for true duals are as follows (ask me how I know, been looking into it forever, lol)

You can buy a complete system from Rinehart, Bub, or Freedom Performance (Just to name a few)

These companies make systems now that have one pipe on each side like the older bikes, or you can get the systems where on of the cylinders crosses under the bike over to the other side.

Then you also have the choice of buying a True dual header from someone like Dragos, Rush, V&H, or Freedom Performance, and then you pair that with the slip-on mufflers of your choice. These pipes however cross under the frame from the left to the right except for one of the two setups from Freedom performance (if I'm not mistaken).

The complete systems usually have a larger than 1 3/4 inch diameter and can't be used as an exact fit with the standard slip ons on the market which have an 1 3/4 inch inlet diameter. There are companies that sell adapter kits, but in my opinion if buying new there's no reason to buy a complete 2" system just to swap the mufflers.

Here are some link to start getting you going crazy:

http://rinehartracing.com/exhausts/true-duals/100-0200

http://rinehartracing.com/exhausts/true-duals/100-0300

http://www.freedomperform.com/tourin...w-dual-system/

http://www.freedomperform.com/tourin...e-dual-system/

Then just some headers:

http://www.dragosbikeworks.com/dragos_scs_true_duals

http://www.epiflex.com/headpipes.html

http://www.freedomperform.com/tourin...rd-true-duals/

http://www.freedomperform.com/tourin...ers/side-tuck/

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/t.../headers/16771

I will add here that the Rush and Dragos true dual headers are ceramic coated inside and out and for the same price pretty much as the other systems.

Something else to take into consideration will be your tuning needs, if you have a new bike and want to use something with an auto tune like the Thunder Max for example then you will need a system with the larger 18MM O2 sensor bungs, the newer bikes come stock with 12MM O2 sensors. If you just want to be on the safe side you can buy headers that have both like the Dragos, or if I'm not mistaken the complete Rinehart systems also have both sizes. Then no matter what tuner you switch to in the future you have your bases covered.

I'm pretty sure I missed something, if so someone more knowledgable than I will chime in and add to this. I'm no expert but for the last almost 2 years of my life with motorcycles I have been fighting with whether to switch to True Duals or go with a 2-1-2 (X pipe) system or a 2-1 with a Ghost pipe. I can understand the performance differences, but like you said, nothing freaking sounds like duals.

I traded in my Ultra not long ago on the CVO Road Glide, and have been fighting with this decision for this bike too. Every time I think I have made up my mind I read something on one of the forums and I'm back to square one.

I hope this information helps you more than it confuses you. If I can be of anymore help feel free to ask here in the thread or send me a PM.

FM

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 05-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Excellent posts. Several of the "duals" still have the rear exhaust coming down on the right side. But I saw a few that looked like the traditional dualies! I think, due to the discomfort experienced last night, that I will have my wife's blessing to spend whatever needed to make her more comfortable.

I already have a tuner (Dynojet Power Vision), so can dial in with or without O2 sensors.

Thanks for the links!

V&H Dresser Duals Exhaust Headers, Sampson Rolled Oval Slip On Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker Stage 2 Intake, DynoJet Power Vision ECU programmer
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Excellent posts. Several of the "duals" still have the rear exhaust coming down on the right side. But I saw a few that looked like the traditional dualies! I think, due to the discomfort experienced last night, that I will have my wife's blessing to spend whatever needed to make her more comfortable.

I already have a tuner (Dynojet Power Vision), so can dial in with or without O2 sensors.

Thanks for the links!
No sweat brother glad I could be of help.

Let us know what you decide and how it runs.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Life Member

I have Rush tru-duals on my RGU. As stated, ceramic coated in/out, No color changing or rust. Sound great. I have 4" big louie's with 2.5 baffles. These mufflers have removable baffles and can be changed with their other sized baffles to tune sound as well as exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0018.jpg (95.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg tiny RG.jpg (48.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Grey beard

Fire-Medic;

Good call listing the available stuff. I went with Freedom Performance (and added an SE air filter, with a stage 1 download) and have never looked back. Having said that, it's good to see all of the available options.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Be careful with the true duals, you will just be moving the heat from the right side to under the seat. Any long distance riding and both you and your wife will feel the heat in your asses rather than on your leg/feet....Keep in mind that a true dual setup will put the rear jug pipe right in front of your wife's left foot...
For all of the customers who come in and complain about heat issues we sell them the new S&S Power Tune Duals with the crossunder pipe. This will move the heat from under the seat to under the bike where is is not felt at all....

Cheers,

Trent

EDIT*** To help cut down the heat some you can have the pipes (whichever you choose) ceramic coated, then wrap them in header wrap under the heat shields so it won't be visible...this will also help keep the heat in....

Last edited by Dfwhockey17; 05-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwhockey17 View Post
Be careful with the true duals, you will just be moving the heat from the right side to under the seat. Any long distance riding and both you and your wife will feel the heat in your asses rather than on your leg/feet....Keep in mind that a true dual setup will put the rear jug pipe right in front of your wife's left foot...
For all of the customers who come in and complain about heat issues we sell them the new S&S Power Tune Duals with the crossunder pipe. This will move the heat from under the seat to under the bike where is is not felt at all....

Cheers,

Trent

EDIT*** To help cut down the heat some you can have the pipes (whichever you choose) ceramic coated, then wrap them in header wrap under the heat shields so it won't be visible...this will also help keep the heat in....
2012 from OP uses an 'under frame' cut over. They no longer go under the seat. No heat issues. (see pictures in above post)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

I have the Rinehart Extreme Duals and love them. Good sound without blowing my eardrums out.

Tags
dual , duals , exhaust , heat , true dual