New Road Glide Issues - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Hangaround

Question New Road Glide Issues

I have ridden Electra Glidesn for many years but recently bought a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I love it. The stability compared to a EG is amazing. I am heading from Houston to Sturgis and trying to get the bike dialed in before rolling. I have experienced a few issues.

1. Today my wife and I intentionally went for a ride in the rain to make sure the bike and all of our rain gear is functioning properly. We road in a steady rain at highway speeds for about 30 mins. I usually ride with the trip meter in the mode that tells me how many miles I have left in the tank. Well the trip meter automatically switched to odometer mode and would not change to any other trip modes, including miles left in tank. Also, the horn went from its normal sound to a squeak. I also noticed that when I tried to restart the bike after parking and turning everything thing off that when I turned the inginition switch on the speedometer and tach needles rotated all the way over to max speed and max RPM and all the warning and notice lights on speedo illuminated. The bike started normally and all electronics seemed to work properly. I checked recalls and my VIN didn't identify any recalls on regulator. I don't want to have any issues while rolling to Sturgis. Any ideas?

2. Instead of riding acroos Texas in the August heat and to have more time in Sturgis we are going to trailer from Houston to Denver. What is the best way to tie down a Road Glide? Where do you place the tie downs?

Thanks, James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 AM

Welcome to the Shark tank James!
About the gauges I believe that is the normal self test for them at start up.

I tie my RG down just above the front fender mounts with soft loops and that way the bike can "float" and the shocks are not compressed, on the rear I just strap the bottom of the wheel down so the rear can also "float" and the rear shocks are not compressed.
I can probably find some pics of mine while tied down if you want let me know!

As far as the horn goes, I never liked HD's horn but I bet it got water in it and may or may not work when dry, I'd replace it with an air horn.
The odometer issue sounds like a warranty repair for sure.

Good luck with your new ride, after you get the kinks worked out of the odometer switch and horn you're gonna have a great time!
-ST

Last edited by SpringerTodd; 07-01-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Life Member

The gauge doing a full sweep is not normal!! The gauges should only do a full sweep if you are doing a diagnostic scan, it sound like the mode switch (button) got stuck and that made it to were you could not change from mileage to range to trip meter etc, etc. The mode switch may have got wet so make sure that the protective rubber boot is on the switch properly, but this is not normal operation so you may have to replace the mode switch. Of course the bike is under warranty so let the HD dealer take care of the problem.

Tie the bike down by taking a 10ft rachet stap and looping it over the bottom triple tree, that way you will have no paint rub issues.

Last edited by ironmark; 07-01-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Life Member

Sounds like you may have a bad ground connection somewhere, the clue being the weak horn. The horn is a high amp draw item, if the ground connection is weak the horn will not get enough voltage and sound like you describe.
The horn is mounted to, and I believe grounded to, the engine. Check all the mounting bolts, and follow the battery cables especially the ground cable, to their connection points and tighten all of them.
Check the wiring of the speedometer button, I believe one side of it is grounded also, which would possibly explain it and the gauges odd behavior.
For that matter, one side of the horn button is grounded also, so it's tied to all the rest of the oddities, and all of them are mounted to the moving front fork. Seems to me there's a big ground connection right up there by the handlebars, I think??
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Life Member

Welcome to the tank.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Hangaround

I had a similar experience on my 2012 RG with the trip meter when I was caught in heavy rain several months ago. It basically went haywire. It did return to normal operation after I parked it and dried out. I suspect it will happen again, just a matter of time.
The horn on my 2006 Street Glide went out every time I got caught in heavy rain, was replaced a couple of times and a couple of times the techs just blew it out with an air hose. Never happend on previous Harleys I owned.

Scoots
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to faceracer

A wheel dock or wheel chock is a good option for hauling. This will keep you from having to compress your suspension so tight to prevent a bounce from unhooking your straps! Has not happened to me but I read it happened to others on another forum. Good luck. Face
Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome from Florida, haven't faced or noticed any of your issues, for a tie down point, I bought a bracket that mounts in front of the crash bar from KIWI Indian, works great and you really don't even notice that it's there.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Life Member

I agree with SpringerTodd about the tie down spot. I have transported my 2011 RGU a couple of times tied off to the fork above the fender mounts. I used a padded loop over the fork legs on rachet strap to the loop. This secures the bike but still allows the suspension to work.

2011 RG Ultra Brilliant Silver Pearl
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Prospect

I would check to see of your bike falls under the voltage regulator recall. What you describe is what happens under low voltage situations (my bike died 15 miles out on the way home last weekend).

'12 RGU in BBP
Stuff done, more to come

'10 FLHP in Birch White (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.