Lower Fairing Quick Disconnect Kit - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 PM

Default Lower Fairing Quick Disconnect Kit

Lower Fairing Quick Detach Kit from Rivco

I just installed this quick-disconnect kit on my 2011 FLTRU and it fits and functions perfectly. The instructions and package say that it will not fit a RoadGlide, but it does. I tried to buy this same kit at the J&P Open house in June, but the salesman told me it wouldn't fit and I believed him. When I got back home I went to the H-D dealer to look at what the difference was between a Roadglide lower fairing and a E-Glide lower fairing and I could not find anything different between the two.
So, I got on eBay and found a kit for $35.00 + S/H (the J & P Open House price was $49.99) and ordered it from http://myworld.ebay.com/mcaccessoryo...id=p4340.l2559. The kit # is HD019-05. All of the hardware is metal, no plastic pieces to break. The only thing I added was a piece of heat-shrink to each J-hook clamp so that the engine guard wouldn't get marred and I also added two steel washers, one on either side of the fairing where the lower mount goes. Now I don't need any tools to remove the lowers and it only takes about a minute to remove or install the fairings now. Well worth the cost of the kit and it does in fact work on the lower fairings on the RoadGlide Ultras without having to mod anything.

Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0051.jpg (64.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0055.jpg (37.6 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by Yesca; 07-11-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM

Default a couple of photos

A couple of more photos...
Lower mount
As you can see the package even says it will not fit a RoadGlide, but it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0057.jpg (48.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0060.jpg (75.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Life Member

Sweet! I love seeing reasonably priced alternatives to HD's overpriced accessories! Thanks for the post.

2011 FLTRX 103

VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Hangaround

Are those just long thumb screws / nuts that go in the glove box?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks for posting great pictures. I see now that this kit woild work for me on my 2012 Road Glide Ultra. It gets very hot with lowers above 85 on a summy day. I had a 2004 Road Glide and the lowers were made different, this kid would not work. I don't know what year the change was made. Looking foward to installing this kit.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Life Member

Note the warning on the package, for 2005 and newer. In 2005, the vented lowers would not fit a Road Glide... UNLESS you remounted your fairing with the 2010 mounts. Then they fit just fine. The Vented lowers did not fit the Road Glides, officially, until 2010.

These disconnects look to be designed for any bike with the Standard Touring Vented Lower Fairings. If you have them, regardless of the bike, they should work.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper792 View Post
Are those just long thumb screws / nuts that go in the glove box?
More or less, yes. They are a heavy -duty version of a thumbscrew I guess. If you look at the first photo, the parts on the left side replace the parts on the right side for size comparison. And as OldNerdGuy stated, these work on the newer RGU fairings, but would not work on the older style. They do make a kit for the older style fairings also, but i don't know if it would work on the RG older fairings or not.

D
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Life Member

Good write up and thanks for the heads up on lower price vs the HD accessory. I've considered a quick release or just taking the lowers off until fall to help tolerate the heat especially during the last several weeks of 95-105 degree days here in NC. A lot fewer bugs will die if I remove them thats for sure.

Any concern about theft when the lowers are on while using the quick release? I've read stories of seats disappearing when using the accessory thumb screw. I'm sure a determined thief can get about anything off in a few minutes if prepared with the proper tools & know how, I'm thinking more about the snatch and dash type.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Looks like a nice kit, too bad he will not shipped outside the USA. That is one of the problems of living in Canada some real good stuff for the bike but can not get it shipped our shipping cost is two times the cost of the item.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBlue View Post
Good write up and thanks for the heads up on lower price vs the HD accessory. I've considered a quick release or just taking the lowers off until fall to help tolerate the heat especially during the last several weeks of 95-105 degree days here in NC. A lot fewer bugs will die if I remove them thats for sure.

Any concern about theft when the lowers are on while using the quick release? I've read stories of seats disappearing when using the accessory thumb screw. I'm sure a determined thief can get about anything off in a few minutes if prepared with the proper tools & know how, I'm thinking more about the snatch and dash type.
It will definitely make it easy for a dishonest person to steal them, but if they wanted them bad enough it wouldn't matter if you had the factory bolt/nuts or a quick-disconnect, they are going to take 'em no matter what.

D