LED tail lights. - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Lighting

Lighting Lighting for Road Gildes

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM

Default LED tail lights.

For some that might have seen or used both, is there a preference in LED tail lights between the Custom Dynamics and the Brightasslights unit?

Right now it looks as if they are priced about the same but the BAL version is all built in with no need for an external load balancer. Which really doesn't matter much because I'm thinking about doing the LED turn signals and one of those plasma sticks under the tour pack anyways, but that might be a project for next summer. Was hoping to get some more attention using the tail light for right now.

So any preference for one over the other?

If you installed the BAL which model did you go with?

'03 Anniversary Edition RG
Rinehart true duel pipes and mufflers, Power Commander, Corbin solo w/ backrest, J&M Rokkers and amp.

Last edited by DarbinCo; 08-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Life Member

I've seen both, I give the edge to BAL, I don't know how they manage for so long to be the brightest, but they are from what I've seen. Im really disappointed that they seemed to have dropped the ball in designing a light for my style bike. They had a prototype, said it needed some improvement, and nothing since, that's been more than a year ago.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
I've seen both, I give the edge to BAL, I don't know how they manage for so long to be the brightest, but they are from what I've seen. Im really disappointed that they seemed to have dropped the ball in designing a light for my style bike. They had a prototype, said it needed some improvement, and nothing since, that's been more than a year ago.
The BAL doesn't fit the RGC

My nod goes to the BAL 2. 500 for a taillight seems expensive but have you seen the video of it in action on their site? I had planned to go with the RGU style tour pack for the extra lighting to the rear but it doesn't even seem like I'd need it with a BAL 2.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM

+1 for the BAL, easy install, and a variety of settings.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichMRMC View Post
The BAL doesn't fit the RGC

My nod goes to the BAL 2. 500 for a taillight seems expensive but have you seen the video of it in action on their site? I had planned to go with the RGU style tour pack for the extra lighting to the rear but it doesn't even seem like I'd need it with a BAL 2.
I would do something else if I had to spend 500 for one. The local dealer here has a display of the bal 1 and it's bright as hell. Bright enough I feel it would be a major upgrade from stock and not worth spending the extra on.

Which model did you other guys go with?

'03 Anniversary Edition RG
Rinehart true duel pipes and mufflers, Power Commander, Corbin solo w/ backrest, J&M Rokkers and amp.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM

I went with Custom Dynamics, because they are the only ones that work with the Custom. $80 for the pair, direct replacement for the OEM bulb. No load balancer needed. I added the flasher for an extra $50.

Mylo
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Hangaround

DarbinCo
I have a 11 Ultra and went with the BAL 1 I am amazed what cagers do when I just tap the back brake.. it's a nice feeling. It is one bright ass light and it works. I paid $200, well worth it.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Life Member

I have the custom dynamics on my scoot, that is I can't find myself spending that kind of money in just one tailight. I do give bal its props on how bright they are and that they have I believe a built in choice of flashers but other than that I'm not that familiar with their warranties or the method on how it hooks up to the bike but I can say that I knew that I was going to convert my turn signals into led along with my tailight and I already had a run, turn, and brake module from HD way before I even contemplated led lights. So with all that I felt very comfortable with the fact that they are also lifetime warranty on almost all of their equipment and I'm sure with the help of the local Indy where I purchased all of it they would cover it regardless as to how old the item would be. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM

The BAL are pricey but I bought one too, keeps people way back. Worth the money definitely. Have had mine for a year with zero problems....
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Life Member

I have had both the HD LED Tail Light and the BAL-3ST and hands down the BAL is what I would choose again. The difference in brightness over the HD Tail Light really is that much of an improvement and you will notice getting the attention of the drivers behind you better with the BAL unit.

Have not tried the Custom Dynamics LED so I won't comment on it other than from what I have heard they make a good product.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs