Michelin Commander II or Metzeler ME 888 - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Hangaround

I spent alot of time trying figure out something about the Metzler 888, but since it was so new it was tough.
Sent an email to revzilla and thought I would get a simple couple of lines or canned response back. I described the weight we carried on the bike and type of riding I normally do.
Liam Irving from revzilla sent me a full page reply!! He looked at the weights involved and took my various riding styles into account. I ended up ordering the Commnader 2s

Here is what he sent me:

"Hi Mark,

Tire time! What fun. Nothing brings back bike performance like new shoes! First, I'd like to congratulate you on being cognizant of your loaded weight - if only all our customers were so savvy!

Now, I believe your Glide's GVWR is 1360 pounds. Less the weight of the bike, which I think is 783 pounds, leaves you 577 lbs. to carry rider, pillion, and gear. Removing your combined weights, you have 127 pounds of carrying capacity left. Assuming some weight for your gear (Helmets, jackets, pants, maybe a rain suit tucked in the bags), and items on your person, I would imagine that with any overnighting/camping provisions that you are running very close to max load. I think that's important with respect to the tire. Bias-plies have higher load carrying capacity - HD put them on there for a reason! They also are recommending a 65H load/speed rating for the front, and an 81/H load speed rating for the rear.

Now, given the fact that you said you're tossing this bike into the corners, I am going to presume grip is a little more important to you than tire life. Given the weight of bike and style of riding you're doing, I am going to assume you know that your conditions are less-than-optimal for tire life!

The Commander II is going to be the sportier of the two you've picked. It is hands-down the one I think you should run with. The Triple 8 is not my top choice for two reasons: First, it evolved from the Marathon, a great tire for touring, but one that offers less-than-stellar grip. The second reason is part of the first: It's a brand-new tire. I can't tell you how it performs - I haven't ridden one at all, and the folks that have have not ridden it long at all!

The other option I see for you is a Pirelli Night Dragon. It is the other sporty 'bagger' tire. Between the two, I am a Michelin man through and through, but I certainly wouldn't sniff at a bike equipped with Night Dragons. I would imagine the Michelin will offer a little more wear - they typically wear very well. Either tire would be a fine choice, but I would probably steer clear of the Metzeler, were I you.

I hope that helps some!

Regards,"
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Hangaround

Michelins for me also. Ride is better, quieter and all round BETTER handling than OE tires.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2011 RGU - FLTRU
Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Hangaround

I'm currently at the very same spot, deciding on the Commander II's or the 888's. I was leaning towards the commander II's and then I read a couple reviews saying they don't perform that good in wet, especially for the first 3000 miles. Which would be a problem since rain always seems to find me. I'd rather have the better tire in poor conditions than a great tire in perfect conditions.

So I'm wondering what the commander II people have to say about we riding.

And if there are any 888 people, what they have experienced.

'07 HD Roadglide (2/2/12 - Current)
'01 ZRX1200R (8/29/06 - 4/30/12)
'91 VFR 750 ('04)
'87 FZ 600 ('03)
'86 YZ125 (86-89)
70's Honda Trail 70 (82-89)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robare View Post
I'm currently at the very same spot, deciding on the Commander II's or the 888's. I was leaning towards the commander II's and then I read a couple reviews saying they don't perform that good in wet, especially for the first 3000 miles. Which would be a problem since rain always seems to find me. I'd rather have the better tire in poor conditions than a great tire in perfect conditions.

So I'm wondering what the commander II people have to say about we riding.

And if there are any 888 people, what they have experienced.
I have put over 12K on my Michelin II's in plenty of rainy conditions without any issues. Just sold that set to another member with the wheels and I would expect another 10K or so out of those tires before they need replacing.

New set of II' on my new to me wheels this time around as well.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Life Member

The other tire to consider is the Dunlop American Elite. I am getting into my third set, got over 20,000 each, out of the first two sets. I'd put them up against the other two any day. One reason being when the Michelin guy heard I was riding on American Elites, he stopped talking and walked away. Great handling, wet or dry. Glued in the corners, Smooth on the highways.

One other reason... They are American made!!!

Last edited by OldNerdGuy; 05-30-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Life Member

I have the commander ll on front and rear love the rear which has 10000 on now and is wearing well.But the front less than 6000 and the side tread has faded away already handeling has gone away very high ridge in the center of tread Having the rep look at it never had a front tire go so fast in all the years I have road.Let you know what they say.Like I said the rear is great
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplej View Post
I have put over 12K on my Michelin II's in plenty of rainy conditions without any issues. Just sold that set to another member with the wheels and I would expect another 10K or so out of those tires before they need replacing.

New set of II' on my new to me wheels this time around as well.
am i understanding that you expected to get 22K miles from those MIIs?

I get 9-10K out of ME88s on my '96 dynaWG.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Prospect

Are they making an 18 inch front yet for us trx riders.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggs View Post
am i understanding that you expected to get 22K miles from those MIIs?

I get 9-10K out of ME88s on my '96 dynaWG.
Yes sir that is correct.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhr95 View Post
Are they making an 18 inch front yet for us trx riders.
The 18" tire is now available. I replaced my 28 Knuckle Wheels with ones from a trx. Just received an email alert this morning from Dennis Kirk that they are now in stock there but only have 4 on hand so ya better hurry.
https://www.denniskirk.com/front-com...prd/544338.sku