Compensator sprocket - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Default Compensator sprocket

On my 07 model the compensator got replaced under warranty and then after the warranty was over I fitted a Screaming Eagle one which eliminated all the primary noise and rattles. Fast forward to a 2010 FLHTK converted to Road glide. At 15000 the compensator is again rattling and noisy. i took it to the dealer yesterday and told them if it is faulty I will pay the extra money for the S E compensator. The counter guy told me they do not replace the stock compensators anymore and if they get a complaint about the compensator it gets replaced with a S E one at no extra cost.
Worth investigating if you have a noisy primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Grey beard

I went in for the same thing, and Service Writer told me that there were absolutely 0 known issues with the compensator.... Guess I'm screwed until it flies apart.
2005 FLTR - 97" S&S Big Bore, Hillside Cycle Stage II Heads & Throttle Body Upgrades, S&S Rollers, Fueling Pump & Lifters, 570G Gear Drive, TTS, CFR's, Klock Werks Double Back, 91hp/106ftlbs. CB's Euro, Mustang, Big Sweep +2 Bars, PM Light Glide LED Kit, RC CZar Wheels
Old 11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Life Member

+1. I had mine replaced and the noise is still there.

You don't know until you CVO
Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 PM

The new bikes (09-up) have a different sprocket on them that has a lot more slack between the two halves and is much noisier. It DOES make the bike sound like an older model with a bad sprocket, but it's normal, and there is no fix for it. (was the first thing I noticed on my 2010)

Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM

I went to the dealer last week and the 2010 compensator was replaced with a S.E. model because I bitched and moaned untill they listened to me. Now most the noise in the primary is gone.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Hangaround

It seems to depend on the Stealer, I've had two friends with 09's, and both have had the sprocket replaced by a stealer in Florida, under warranty, after being told by the stealer who sold them the bikes, "they all do that" nothing we can do................KEEP BUGGING THEM!!!
Obviously, it can be done, if one can do it, they all can.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
It seems to depend on the Stealer, I've had two friends with 09's, and both have had the sprocket replaced by a stealer in Florida, under warranty, after being told by the stealer who sold them the bikes, "they all do that" nothing we can do................KEEP BUGGING THEM!!!
I had mine replaced on my 2010 at about 2,000 miles. The stealer replaced mine under warranty and charged me the difference for the upgrade to the SE. My stealer didn't even know they made an SE until I told him I wanted one. I agreed to pay the difference for the upgrade.
A friend of mine had his replaced on an '08 Classic under warranty and his stealer upgraded his to an SE at no charge. His stealer told him they were told to replace all the bad compensators to an SE at 'no charge'.
It's been my experience a lot of service writers or service managers don't read very much.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Prospect

I bought my own an installed it, no luck with the dealer. Doc
Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
I guess I should have added, the dealer that did change out the sprockets, told my buddies, they were told to change to SE sprockets under warranty.
Tell your stealer, check with the MOCO factory, the dealer in Florida can't be the only one doing this.
I haven't had problem with the 10, but I'm wondering if the factory knows there is a problem, are they still using the old sprockets, and waiting for people to complain?
I know there was a problem with some front tires on the 09 dressers, but unless the customer complained, the factory never told anyone.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Mine is in Texas and the dealer in question did the instal for free. Could be the service dept. will not ask the factory.