Replacing Fork Lowers & Bells - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Aftermarket Accessories

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Grey beard

Question Replacing Fork Lowers & Bells

Well, I don't have a Service Manual yet but I'm already looking around for black fork lowers. Has anyone done or had this done to a bike - is it major work on a RoadGlide? Such as you have to remove the fairing, ABS, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Life Member

I had my dealer do mine, just for the simple fact if I scratched any paint, or dropped the fender or fork and chipped the powdercoat, it was on me. If they scratch it,.. they fix it (infact that was the selling point my service manager sold me on when quizzing him about it when I was weighing my options of doing it myself).
Its simple to do yourself, but only cost me $175 to have the dealer do it for me. Its like a 3 hour job, and they will usually replace your seals just because, then oil. That was all included in the $175 they charged me. To do it yourself, I would plan on 4-5 hours since its new and you want to be careful. All you take off is the nache or whatever they call it around your gauges, take off your fender, front tire, axle, then its only like 2 bolts to drop the lower sliders off once they are drained. The cowbells or uppers are whats kind of a pain, because they are kinda hard to get to and if memory serves their might be more up top. I know that they didn't have to take off either the outer or inner fairing, its a fairly straight forward job. The ABS has nothing to do with it, its just like changing the forks out on a non ABS bike.

In my situation, it was just easier to drop it off one day, pay a little money, and pick it up ready to ride with no worries.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Grey beard

That's what I thought and I set aside $300 for labor. I see they sell the lowers and bells on eBay alot cheaper than H-D. Heard anything about these pwdercoated legs? And I thought about taking it to an indepedent.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Life Member

I bought mine off ebay, along with other powder coated parts from http://myworld.ebay.com/voodoo041672/ That guy.. He is great, and has cheap parts that are new most of the time.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Its really not hard to do. You will need the service manual and the special tool to put into the fork lock so you can turn the triple tree.

To remove the forks on a RG you only need to take apart and remove the nacel for the speedo and tach housing. The handlebars should not be a problem while doing this. The front tire and fender will have to be removed

You will also need a 38mm socket if I remember correctly to take the fork cap bolt off the top. The pinch bolt on the lower part of the triple tree is a standard size bolt. Following the instruction and having the paicents is key to doing this and it shouldnt be a much of a problem.

Check the bushings in the forks for wear. There are aftemarket cartridge dampners that are better then the stock brass bushings in the fork legs that will give you a firmer better ride.

Also replace the fork oil with a good racing fork oil if you dont install the cartridge dampners
Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Grey beard

Excellant - thanks. Nothing to it but to do it!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM

I have done em on my ol bikes but what about the gas charge on the newer ones?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Shrug

I did it on my Wide Glide with the forks on the bike in about 2 hours. When I go to chrome lowers on Hester, I'll have Judd Cowley (my local indy) do the work. Too many ancillary parts on a touring bike and I have a lot less free time these days.

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Blue Knights Teas Chapter XLVI
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Life Member

What year bike do you have?
I have a couple sets ( They arent black but you could get them powder coated) If you pay for the shipping you can have a pair.
my originals from my 2010, and another set from a 2007 Street Glide.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaveOnBass

I've been holding a set of black PC lowers and bells for a while. I plan to do them sometime in the next month or two, but have to acquire a few other things that are part of my winter mods before I tear the bike down. I like to ride as often as possible and don't want the bike down for more than a week or 10 days when I do these projects.
'04 FLTRI, originally Smokey Gold, now Vivid Black, 95", S/E forged high comp 9.6:1 pistons, Andrews 37G cams, Big Boyz heads, S/E adjustable pushrods, S/E Race Tuner, S/E Stage 1 kit, V&H Dresser Duals, S/E slip ons, H-D premium oil cooler, chromed wagon wheels, Brembo/H-D front brakes, added rear engine guards, Paul Yaffe 10" OEM Monkey Bars, detachable tour pak

http://www.roadglide.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=714&dateline=12735192  71