How to Find your Diagnostic Trouble Codes - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Life Member

Default How to Find your Diagnostic Trouble Codes

The speedometer is capable of displaying & clearing speedometer , tachometer TSM/TSSM , HFSM , ECM , ABS Diagnostic Trouble Codes also known as DTC's . The radios DTC's are retrieved through the radio and displayed through the radio display .

1 - Turn the ignition switch to off & run/stop switch is to run .
2 - Push odometer reset button in & HOLD .
3 - Turn the ignition switch on and then release odometer reset button . The background lighting should illuminate & the speedometer needle should sweep it's full range & indicator lamps ( battery , security , low fuel , check engine and cruise ) should illuminate . The word "DIAG" should then appear .
4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPtb" with the first P flashing .
5 - Each letter represents a area of the diagnostics module . The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check . To move from one letter to the next you must push the odometer reset button one time . ( from P to S to SP to t to b and back to P , ect ect )
P = ECM
S = TSM/TSSM/HFSM
SP = speedometer
t = tachometer
b = ABS codes
6 - To get the DTC code in a area of diagnostics you should PUSH & HOLD the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and the release . If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word " none " will appear if there are no DTC's . Push the odometer reset button again to view any additional codes if they exist .
7 - Record the codes .
8 - If DTC's are NOT to be cleared , press and release the odometer reset button . Part #of module will be displayed .
9 - If DTC's are to be cleared for that module , PRESS & HOLD the odometer reset button until " clear " is displayed .
10 - Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module .
11 - Turn the ignition switch off to exit the diagnostic mode .
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Life Member

I stuck this thread, this is very useful information when your bike starts flashing codes at you.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Life Member

The bike will not flash codes at you ,The bike will only display the "E" light . There are only 2 things that will happen when the "E" light shows .
1- The problem with the bike is NOT serious enough to stop the operation of the bike , but the "E" light is on showing that the ECM received codes.
2- The "E" light is on and problem is serious enough to the bikes ECM to put the bike in LIMP HOME MODE , which will disable the throttle .
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Is there a way to read the codes on a older model, like 1999 or 2000 that has stored a code??????
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Life Member

The procedure listed above only works on 2004 and later models . There is a procedure for 2000 - 2003 models but to clear the codes you need to use a Scanalyzer or cycle the ignition 50 times , a cycle consists of a start and run cycle , the run cycle must last at lease 30 seconds .
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Thank you very much for this info! I just finished installing my AT100 and was watching the data update on my laptop while the bike was running on the lift. I unplugged the USB cable while the bike was running (mistake). Afterwards the security light would not go out when the ignition was turned on. Also, I had to pull in clutch before the bike would start. Following this procedure, I found and cleared code P0033 and life is good. Thanks again. Best forum around!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Grey beard

Always good info to add to the manual - hoping to never have to read again! Thanks for the post.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Life Member

Thanks for the information, this is why we keep coming back. You all are really good peoples.

Next question, and this might be a no brainer, but I have never done it. How do I know what the codes mean?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Default Code that cant be cleared

Being the smart guy that I am (lol) I decided to change by handlebars on my 09 and guess what happened?? I get a E light and cruise light changes colors between red and green. I took it back apart and everthing looks ok. I followed the procedure for clearing codes but still get code 1510 2122 2138. Which is the throttle grip sensor.

My question is what are my options?? Hard wire or should I repace the throttle grip sensor??

I appreciate any help you can offer

Bill
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Prospect

Great post. Thanks.