23" / 26" Wheel Question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Aftermarket Accessories

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Default 23" / 26" Wheel Question

I have been toying with the idea of possibly putting a 23" wheel or doing the rake and going with a 26" wheel on the front. I really like the look of the Glide with a big wheel on the front. My question is does anyone here have or know of a buddy who runs these and is the ride different? I do a lot of 500 - 1,000 mile day rides and as much as i like the look, I don't want to compromise the ride comfort. Any cons to doing that switch?

Thanks,

Lucky
SFFS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM

I've been thinking about the same thing. I would be curious of the ride and comfort of raking the trees
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Response

Ok...just talked to Phil at Paul Yaffe's Bagger nation. Him and He said Yaffee personally like the 23" and it rides better than the stock. He also said the 26" is cool and rides nice, but there isn't much rubber between the wheel and road so if you hit a pot hole or some bad road you really fill it. They also said you have to rake for both sizes. I have seen folks do a 23" with out raking, but not sure if it is recommended.

So, not sure if they were just trying to sell me something, but might consider the 23" wheel now.

Thanks,

Lucky
SFFS
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Hangaround

I have a 23", no rake just lowered the front about 2-1/2" and it rides great
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

I haven't been on a bike with a 23" wheel, but I talked at length with a RG rider in Winthrop last year, and he was VERY displeased with the 23 on his ride. He had done about 250 miles that day and said that he felt like he had the crap beat out of him. He was taking the 23 off and putting the 21 back on. Nothing against PYO or anyone else selling parts and equipment, but if I was a dealer and had these wheels on the shelf I would be ok with the ride as well. 1K miles in a day, personally I wouldn't go to the 23 for that. There is my .02. Pretty big rant for someone that hasn't even tried the 23 eh?

Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Default 23" front wheel

I've been considering a 23" front wheel for my 2010 Road Glide Custom. As I often do big mileage rides I am concerned about ride quality and handling.

I recently spoke to Dave Perewitz in Bridgewater MA about his 23" front wheeled Road Glide featuring in the January edition of American Bagger and he said it rode and handled great on his 2,000 mile trip from Sturgis. I've had a similar discussion with Paul Yaffe about his bagger builds. The common thread appears to be the raked triple trees and chopped neck. To put a 23" wheel on a Road Glide without the necessary modifications to the frame geometry restore the correct rake and trail could be trouble.

It goes without saying that in addition to the cost of the 23" front wheel the rake/chop job is big bucks and must be taken into account when you considering such a project.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Prospect

I think allot of people don't even think or understand about the rake and trail and that's not a good thing.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Grey beard

I think you're correct, cleanrider.

I just don't see how a change as significant as a 23" or 26" front wheel, can't not have an effect on how a bike handles, and I just can't imagine the change as being for the better. Pretty sure there are very sound mathematical reasons why you don't see big wheels at the track. The big wheel conversions are usually accompanied by conversion to a single front brake disc as well. Given that a larger diameter wheel effectively lengthens the theoretical lever that exists between the contact patch and the axle, I don't think having even less braking power is a step forward. I suppose going to a larger diameter rotor, and a 6 piston caliper could level the playing field. Then, there's decreased clearance between the fender and fairing, especially if the forks have lowering kits.

All that said, they look cool as hell, and if that's what a rider is looking for, go for it! But if one does go big, I think restoring functional rake/trail dimensions, is a wise, albeit very expensive move.

As they say, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and they all stink. Mine is no different! Ride what turns you on, and have fun. It's great to live in a land that allows us to do such things!

Jeff