Andrews 48 or 54 cam - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Default Andrews 48 or 54 cam

Im going to install cams in the next few weeks and was looking for feedback with the andrews 48 and 54 cams. also looking at the wood tw555 but they are way more money. Dynos anyone?
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Hangaround

I read for two months and decided to go with the Andrews 54H. I don't have the bike running yet so I can't say much else. The 48H is pretty new and there isn't much information on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Grey beard

A big factor is going to be is your engine a 96" or a 103"? I've researched this as well, and there's also a good thread on hear from FLTRI, and his 48 install. You should be able to find it with a search.

The 48 was designed as a bolt in cam for a 96" motor. You can put one in a 103, but you'll need to keep the CR down in the low-mid 9's. Whereas the 54 is for 96"-103" with a CR around 10:1. So it all depends. If you already have a 103, then the 54 is probably more practical, as a 48 would likely require pulling off the top end to correct the CR with new pistons, head work etc.......$$$$$

I'm going with a 48H in my 96" bike, but won't have any idea how it runs until Apr-May. Good luck...you could drive yourself batty deciding on a cam!

Jeff
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Wooden Nickel

I have the 54H's in my 2011 FLTRU but unfortunately I haven't rode it because of the snow and otherwise terrible winter weather. I can say that my dealer has done a lot of bikes with the 54's in them with very good results. They haven't done any 48H's because I asked. The Master Tech that does the Performance Mod's said my bike ran real well with them. I don't have Dyno numbers because of the Pro Tuner with Smart Tune and I don't feel like beating the bike up on a dyno. I also believe the Tech has them in his bike. I have two other HD's with Andrews and have been very happy.

Fullsac.com has dyno results on their site with the 96's and a 103 Ultra Limited.

Last edited by Wooden Nickel; 02-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Doc is putting TW-555's in my FLTRU (103) later this month. I am also going with the Jackpot 2-1-2 exhaust with Rush slipons. I will be posing dyno numbers in a couple of weeks.

1959 FLHF
2007 FLSTSC
2011 FLTRU
Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Talking 48h

Well after hours and hours of searching and looking through tons of peoples dyno numbers, i made an adult decision and went with the 48h cam. I am a horsepower nut with my car and truck. My duramax is all tuned and a rocket and my chevelle is twin supercharged. However i do most of my bike riding on back roads and with my very understanding wife. The 48h should be an awesome torque cam for the low rpms i ride. I am hoping for 85hp and 95ftlbs which is a tad better than most se255 numbers. I however wont find out what it feels like until the GD snow goes away. Just woke up to another 6 inches of snow. The cam installer said she pulls pretty good on his very cold test drive though I am dying to ride!!!!!!!! Should get it to the dyno soon and will post the sheet and some numbers for everyone.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Just to show you, this what I got out of my $50 SE 255 cams in my stock 07 96 in

Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM

That is exactly what i am looking for in numbers! here's hoping i get similar results! how do you like it? does it feel like a new bike? you should post that in the dyno section we need some more posts!

Last edited by 2010fltrx; 02-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM

I think this is how the bike should come from the factory. Even two up on the freeway I can pass using 6th gear and not have to downshift.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Talking

Took the bike for a ride Saturday. MAN what a difference. so much low end power. Best bang for the buck so far. I have a baseline map in right now so will be even better once dyno tuned. Exhaust sounds way more bad ass then before too. My buddy knew I had done something before I got a chance to tell him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.