SE 254 Cam? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Life Member

Question SE 254 Cam?

Anybody running the SE 254 cam in a stock 96in motor? Being kicking around this cam and was looking for some rough numbers. Already have the air cleaner and exhaust. Just looking for maybe some real world feel and some rough numbers.

Thinking about riding to Garvin's house just to drink all his beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Life Member

Thanks for the reply Drago. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not even real sure that I wanna go into the motor. I'm reasonably pleased with the motor now, and I'm smart enough to know that if I do cams, I probably won't stop w/cams, LOL!! Just kinda kicking things around.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
kerkerkarl

I have an 07 RG and thought about doing the cams also. I was all set to do it until I spoke with the service manager at FT Myers HD. I was looking for a little boost for the motor. I went with the SE 103 in piston kit. Just the bigger pistons not the kit with the cam. The kit with the cams also only added about 2 HP and were certainly not worth the money. I also use the Supertrapp 2-1 pipe and the SE super tuner.I am truly pleased with the outcome. The torque went to 98 Ft Lbs and is extremely impresive. It pulls hard from 1800 to 5200 rpm. The fuel milage went from usually getting 40 mpg to getting 48 mpg. Runs much cooler also.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
Anybody running the SE 254 cam in a stock 96in motor? Being kicking around this cam and was looking for some rough numbers. Already have the air cleaner and exhaust. Just looking for maybe some real world feel and some rough numbers.
I have the 254E's in a 103" 2011 RGU. I had the 255's in my previous 2007 103". The 254's feel similar to the 255's, they just come on a little bit later in the RPM range. Haven't dynoed it yet, still running the canned SEST map. I'll post sheets when I do. There's probably better cams out there, but I've never gotten any warranty grief when I run SE cams in a new bike.....I haven't seen any sheets of the 254 in a 96'', but the 255 in a 96'' sheets I've seen are a nice improvement....

Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkerkarl View Post
I have an 07 RG and thought about doing the cams also. I was all set to do it until I spoke with the service manager at FT Myers HD. I was looking for a little boost for the motor. I went with the SE 103 in piston kit. Just the bigger pistons not the kit with the cam. The kit with the cams also only added about 2 HP and were certainly not worth the money. I also use the Supertrapp 2-1 pipe and the SE super tuner.I am truly pleased with the outcome. The torque went to 98 Ft Lbs and is extremely impresive. It pulls hard from 1800 to 5200 rpm. The fuel milage went from usually getting 40 mpg to getting 48 mpg. Runs much cooler also.
Did you have this done at the H-D dealership? If so I was wondering what the total $$ bill was.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Hangaround

Default SE-254 in 103" w/ 10.5:1

See my signature for more detail.

But here is the Dyno sheet at first pass. Bike goes in for fine tuning next week. The attached is a baseline using smartune / autotune.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLTRX.jpg (72.3 KB, 170 views)

SOLD - 2010 FLTRX Vivid Black
SOLD - 2007 FXSTB Pacific Denim Blue

2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE enroute...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaveOnBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
Thanks for the reply Drago. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not even real sure that I wanna go into the motor. I'm reasonably pleased with the motor now, and I'm smart enough to know that if I do cams, I probably won't stop w/cams, LOL!! Just kinda kicking things around.
PeeWee, that's what happened with me. I put the 26G cams in my 88" motor and was so pleased with the torque gain that I said to myself, "Self, if you like this, you'll REALLY like 37G's and 95" hi comp pistons!" And I was right.
'04 FLTRI, originally Smokey Gold, now Vivid Black, 95", S/E forged high comp 9.6:1 pistons, Andrews 37G cams, Big Boyz heads, S/E adjustable pushrods, S/E Race Tuner, S/E Stage 1 kit, V&H Dresser Duals, S/E slip ons, H-D premium oil cooler, chromed wagon wheels, Brembo/H-D front brakes, added rear engine guards, Paul Yaffe 10" OEM Monkey Bars, detachable tour pak

http://www.roadglide.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=714&dateline=12735192  71
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Hangaround

254E is a weird cam. It has 5* of overlap, WTF? The 43* closing is what a big cam usually runs.

Go Tman 555 or Cyclerama 575.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Life Member

Still not sure what I'm going to do. I have decided to put the "go" stuff on the back burner, and try to finish out the apperance mods first. About to order parts to finish out the front end

Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Hangaround

Default Se-254e

Attached,

Final Tune...

See Signtaure for Build Information

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final FLTRX.JPG (47.4 KB, 126 views)

SOLD - 2010 FLTRX Vivid Black
SOLD - 2007 FXSTB Pacific Denim Blue

2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE enroute...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.