2009-2010 vs. 2007-2008 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 02-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Default 2009-2010 vs. 2007-2008

I'm in the market looking to buy a Road Glide. I'm trying to decide on which is the best approach.

1. Find a 2007-2008 with lower miles (<20k)

2. Get a 2009 (either used or new)

3. Get a 2010 Custom.

More specifically, is the changes in frame worth the price of getting the 2009 or 2010.

Also, I'm not considering anything earlier than 2007 because I'm thinking that a road bike should have a six speed. If you have input on this assumption, please comment as well.

Bottom line is that I currently have a 2004 wide glide and I've done everything to make it a comfortable road bike (floorboards, fairing, saddlebags, etc). But when I'm riding with my friends (all have SGs or RKs), they seem to be more comfortable. Especially when the weather is tough.

Your thoughts are appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Hangaround

What is your budget and what can you live with? I traded my 2007 FLTR for a 2010 FLTRX and have spent another $1500 getting it set-up for me and probably need to spend another $1500 for a Stage 1 and Dynotune.

In hindsight, I should have put Ohlin shocks on my 2007 and spend $$ on a motor build and I would have saved a bundle.

I put the TWR stabilizer on my 2007 and the frame felt very stable. I've since discovered if you spend the $$ to upgrade the shocks and then do something with the front end you can have a fantastic ride. The stock shocks on the 2010 FLTRX need to go IMO.

I really liked the Street glide look of the back end of the 2010, and with the 18" front wheel and ABS it was something I had to have. And I would never have considered Ohlin shocks had it not been for the 12" lowered air shock son the 2010 so I guess that was a good thing - costly but it changed the ride beyond belief. Whatever you get, try to save $700 for Ohlins.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Admin

Financing on a 2010 would would be cheaper

www.Roadglide.org
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Admin

I traded in my 06 Super glide for my 2010 RGC at my local dealer and got what I thought was a good deal. I know now in Jackson they have 1,000 of MSRP. Now is a good time to buy new

www.Roadglide.org
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Life Member

....... if I were looking to get another bike right now, i'd prob'ly look @ one'a the left over '09's. It's got a bit more of the touring orientation, should be thousands less than msrp, still have the full warranty as well as a few more colors to choose from. I know they've still got 2 or 3 left @ PPHD.

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Grey beard

I just got my 09 in Dec so I was in the same spot you are. I chose the 09 over a similar 08 for several reasons:

1. The new frame - it just has to be better for whatever reason the MOCO changed it.
2. ABS brakes (a deal breaker for me)
3. Mileage - 09 had less than the 08
4. Warranty (has one but go'na kill that with a Stage-1 add-ons)
5. Available colors (available on both 08 and 09)
6. Cost - while the 09 was two thousand more it had all of the above over the 08.

However, I'm adding about $2k in shocks, pipes, A/C, black out parts, and seat. So take that into consideration in finacial planning.

Good luck in your search - took me about 6 months.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Grey beard

I can't say what the RG's were like before 09, but I had several EG's before 09and while they ride fine, I just found that the 09 and 10 with the new frame ride much better for me. Much more like a softail feel with little of the side to side movement you might get from the 08 and before touring model. That's not to say there is anything wrong with those either, they ride much better than non touring models out there.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Thanks for the input.....

First off, I'm glad to find a forum such as this one. Thank you all for your thoughts....

I have at least a few more weeks until I'm financially ready to make this happen.

1. I'm leaning towards an 09-10 model now with my first choice being a new 09. I'm finding those to be harder to find now, but I will keep looking.

2. A used 09 with low miles

3. A new 2010. I compare the cost of a new 2010 to the cost of a used or new 09 (including financing).

Lastly, I will continue to look and if I can find a 07-08 with low miles and a desperate seller, then I will have to consider. I've seen some 07s with less than 15K for less than $13K.

I will let you know what I come out with.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM
RGChick

I love my 10, but then again I havent ridden any of the older glides... Actually I am prolly pretty biased, but this is the only touring model that I have riden. I guess ignorance is bliss... lol
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 AM

I rode an 07 during a demo day at a dealer a couple of years ago. It was impressive at the time, but that is now a memory.

The dealer has a demo day this coming weekend. I spoke with them last week and know that they have a red FLTRX that they let people test ride. I'm hoping to demo it then....

The only thing is that once I demo it, I know that I will want to leave with one. Must have discipline!