Compensator - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Compensator

I hear good things about the SE compensator,however they don't offer one for my 2003.
So what's the best compensator for my 10 year old bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Life Member

I would look into a BDL compensator ~ Belt Drives Limited ~ Runnin one for 10k ~ so far so good ~ I had five of the SE's in 75k on my 10 under ESP ~ figured I would try the BDL on the 12 & see how it holds up ~
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlmr View Post
I hear good things about the SE compensator,however they don't offer one for my 2003.
So what's the best compensator for my 10 year old bike?
There were no problems with the compensator in year models 2006 and earlier touring models. The design change in 2007 comp. is when the problem arose. I've seen your style comp. with 80,000 mi and still working OK.

2005 RG 98cu in
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Grey beard

Old style compensator IS the best compensator you can get for the earlier bikes.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 PM

Sounds good. I'll stick with the OE compensator.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocotom View Post
There were no problems with the compensator in year models 2006 and earlier touring models. The design change in 2007 comp. is when the problem arose. I've seen your style comp. with 80,000 mi and still working OK.
I will say I ran 93k on my 06 SE Ultra with no issues.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdm View Post
I will say I ran 93k on my 06 SE Ultra with no issues.
I've got over 260k on a shovelhead and 100+ on an evo, my buddy had 180k on his evo, all original compensators. The old style just works, even when it's a bit worn.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM

So I decided to keep the stock compensator. I new one from Drag specialties. I installed it no problem, however now it's making some strange noises. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Life Member

Basically the "stock" compensator worked great for 88's. It sucked on 96's, and the 103's tore it to bits. The problem was not the compensator, per se, but they kept increasing the engine size to where it was too much HP/Torque for the original compensator. HD went cheap, until they could not get away with it any longer.

I would say anybody with a 96 or an early 103 (up to, and including 2010) needs the SE Compensator.

That having been said, it is not a cure all for starter ills. The starter clutch is still a POS, regardless of year. If you have tweaked the engine compression, you can plan on having a starter clutch go bad at some point if you do not have compression release. Best way to delay the inevitable is to make sure you always start in neutral with the clutch disengaged. Lightens the load on the starter clutch. Last thing you want to hear is the starter spinning merrily away (not engaging the flywheel) on the side of the road on a lonely highway.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Grey beard

I know of several guys running engines much bigger than 103" running with the original (pre-07) time tested compensator which experience No issues. My neighbors '04 113" has zero issues. The guys I know with S&S 124", 117" and 2 S&S 96" don't have problems. Why do you think they aren't having issues?

The 96" motor trashes the 2007+ compensator because the new design is inadequate and a piece of shit. The '06 96" bikes didn't wreck the compensator. They rattled the shit out of the gears in the new 6 speed which drove everyone crazy. So Harley came up with a new compensator, which is pure junk... and then added the cush drive to the belt drive sprocket, then Harley came up with the "SE compensator" as a fix for the crappy OEM '07up POS. And the problem is still not fixed... :-(

Anyway.... parlmr - can't tell you why you are hearing noises, that's pretty generic description. Not sure I understand why you bought a new compensator for your 2003 from Drag, was your original compensator damaged?