Garmin help - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Aftermarket Accessories

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 08-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Exclamation Garmin help

I act as road captain for my local riding club and have problems using my GPS for a pre-plotted route. Garmin Nuvi 2455LMT.

When I plan a route in Base Camp then upload to the device, the route looks great when I select it, just what I planned during with the software. BUT when I say "go" to drive the route, the GPS simply calculates either fastest or shortest distances (based on my device preferences) and disregards the roads I selected and supposedly uploaded. Same goes for when I use the HD ride planner.

When I build the route using the GPS itself, usually by navigating intersection-to-intersection, it directs onto the correct roads but does not give turn information to the next waypoint as you are nearing the current waypoint. You must actually arrive at the first waypoint before it starts building the route to the next one. Sometimes I forget which way I'm supposed to turn and have to sit and wait for it to calculate the next leg, usually with impatient cars honking behind me.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.... requesting a little help from you gurus out there!

Last edited by aviaator; 08-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Life Member

I don't know about your specific device, but I do have experience with several other Garmin devices. Go into your Settings for Navigation and find the setting for 'Recalculation Mode'. There should be 3 options: Auto / Off / Prompted.

Yours is probably set to Auto. I like to set mine for 'Prompted'. That way it will leave your uploaded routes alone, even if you go 'off-route', unless you specifically tell it you want to recalc.

Also, and this is just my opinion, forget Base Camp. I find it very cumbersome to use. I much prefer to use Harley Ride Planner. It's free, easy to use and it syncs routes easily to your device.

Cheers. -Jay
Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 PM

Thumbs down Not on the 2455

Just went through the settings, Jay. Mine does not have any recalculation adjustment; it's apparently automatic and I can't change it.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Life Member

That is a bummer. That's going to make it very difficult to use for custom routes. It's odd that it'll even let you upload custom routes if it's only going to recalculate them.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 PM

Aviaator, on my nuvi 2460 it's in settings/navigation/automobile/nuRoute.
Not sure if that helps.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKS View Post
That is a bummer. That's going to make it very difficult to use for custom routes. It's odd that it'll even let you upload custom routes if it's only going to recalculate them.
I agree. Maybe my mistake was in purchasing this model at all. I didn't want to spend $600 on a Zumo so I bought a Nuvi and use a $450 sandwich baggie to keep it dry...

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by aviaator; 08-30-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Gary, my 2455 does not have an "Automobile" option under settings.

Mine has Settings->Navigation->

Calculation Mode
Avoidances
Custom Avoidances
Advanced Detours (just a check box)
Limit Walking
Public Transit
Safe Mode (just a check box)
GPS Simulator (just a check box)

I have been through every single one and none of them give me a choice of recalculation methods.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Life Member

I actually have a Zumo 450 that I'd let go real cheap if anyone was interested.

I'm not trying to give you the hard sell here. I just bought a used Zumo 660 which I really like, so I really don't need the trusty old 450.

I won't hijack your thread here with it, but I will put it in the classified section.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Life Member

OK, been through this whole nightmare, here's a couple things I've learned..........

1. Stay the hell away from Base Camp, it's a flippin disaster. I can walk there faster than I can create a route in that diabolical program.

2. Turn off all avoidances in your GPS. If you don't it will insist on recalulating all or part every route you load from Ride Planner.

3. Using Harley Ride planner, select "avoid highways for this route" under the directions tab on every segment of the route, unless you want to be on the slab. Do everything you can to create as few waypoints as possible, and if you HAVE to use one, get it as accurate as possible. Zoom way in and make sure it's in the center of the road, not in someone's back yard. After you have the route you want, try deleting some of the waypoints, delete as many as you can get away with.(Can you tell yet that I think waypoints are a pain??)

4. Download the map to the GPS, load it and see if it looks right. Zoom way in if you have too. If it's wrong, go back to ride planner and fix it. BUT, before you load the fixed one to the GPS under the same name, delete the old one off the GPS. If you don't sometimes you'll screw your new route.

5. When riding, when you are close, within a couple miles, to waypoint #1, switch it to #2 before you get to #1. It will recalculate without you having to wait on it.

Hope that helps.
I'm now to the point that I can make new routes that actually work in just a few minutes.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM

My 660 does the same thing - unless I put in some route stops (waypoints) in along the road I want to take. I also use MapQuest - seems to me its a bit more user friendly than HD route Planner. Be careful though I put a way point in a custom route to go across the Tapanzee Bridge and it worked fine going south (west) but when I reversed the route to come home it took accross the bridge then turned me back onto the southbound side and took me back across. Yeah the waypoint was on the I287 SB. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.