Road Zepplin vs. Hammock FLTRU - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Seating: seats, backrests

Seating: seats, backrests SEATING: seats, backrests for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Hangaround

Default Road Zepplin vs. Hammock FLTRU

I have been needing a new seat for my 2011 FLTRU, as my stock 2011 seat was wonderful on short trips, but at 150 miles my absolutely boney butt got numbness and butt burn. I like OEM Harley stuff, thus the choice for a new seat was between the Harley Hammock (000003) and the Road Zeppelin.

I went to the dealer and they were nice enough to let me try both. The Hammock is an incredible seat. Insanely comfortable and "soft", and with a nice reach to the ground (I have a 32 inseam). The only negatives were the passenger section slopes slightly forward, and the seat is somewhat "flat", with no bucket feel. It woud need a riders backrest for sure.

I then tried the Road Zeppelin and at first I thought the Hammock was clearly the winner. But then after riding a bit, I messed with the air seat adjustments and it became clear what the Road Zeppelin is all about. It is unbelievable the amount of range the air adjustments provide. You can go from sitting upright like on an old Panhead FL buddy seat to completely reclining like sitting in your car. This in turn changes your entire seating position, and of course the pressure on your butt/back. Lower back support is amazing, and the overall ride comfort is incredible.

The Zep is just like a fully adjustable luxury car seat, adjust until you feel "right", and ride.

Negatives for the Zep?

Yes:

1) With any amount of inflation, my feet do not touch the ground flat. The height it raises you while riding is not an issue, but coming to a stop can be unnerving.

2) The passengers section pillon rides against the rear speaker pods. This could make the seat chafe against the pods after some period of time.

3) The seat is MASSIVE, and not the sexiest thing for an RGU.

After riding on both, I made the decision to go with the Road Zeppelin. It is just that good. I will now need to do two mods (here we go again!): Lower the bike a bit so I can flat foot at stops, and add the Kuryakyn TourPak adjuster to slide the TourPak back slightly.

In the end, both the Hammock and Road Zeppelin are 1000% better seats for any comfort than the stock RGU seat, by a mile. Either would be a good choice for those wanting to change up their ride to a better seat. I chose the Zep, but wouldn't think twice about riding a Hammock bike on long trips.

My $.02

Last edited by Lama; 05-27-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 AM

I have the Hammock, it sucks. Feels good when you first sit on it, but soon things go south. I went back to the stock seat after about a month.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Life Member

Lama, good review on those two ultra-touring seats!

May help others pondering the same decision.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Hangaround

Well, after UK1 's reply, I'm glad I got the Zeppelin. Did another 200 mile ride yesterday with the Zep, I never got ANY seat related issues, other than when I stopped once, I was sitting on the seat sideways while parked, and my weight on the side of the seat was pressing all 3 air switches down, filling the airbags. Need to be careful not to inadvertantly press the switches. Other than that, It rides like a dream, and you really do feel like you are riding on air.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK1 View Post
I have the Hammock, it sucks. Feels good when you first sit on it, but soon things go south. I went back to the stock seat after about a month.
Whoa... That's the first bad review of the hammock that I have ever seen... Go to the equipment forum and please post your experience and specifics under there. I would like to know if others that have your bike and are your size have had a similar experience, or maybe you just had a defective one.

Mylo
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyloFiore View Post
Whoa... That's the first bad review of the hammock that I have ever seen... Go to the equipment forum and please post your experience and specifics under there. I would like to know if others that have your bike and are your size have had a similar experience, or maybe you just had a defective one.

Mylo
I'm happy with my Heated Hammock so far, but I haven't ridden more than a few hours at a time. It seems as good as my previous best seat(Mustang). Sold the stock seat and Corbin Solo that came with the bike. I could never get used to those.
2010 RGC BLK, ABS, cruise, SE 110, D&D, SERT, Zippers AC, Removable tourpak, Heated hammock seat, plasma rods, Hogtunes 5x7 speakers, 14.5" Madstad, rider's backrest, Daymakers, heated grips. Skip the GADS.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Life Member

Default harley hammock

have the hammpck. only had it for 2 weeks and 2 trips of 160 miles. like it so far. Zep is way too wide look for RGC IMHO.

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to musicman8120

I went from the Sundowner touring seat to the Road Zepplin a few months back. This thing is incredibly comfortable. With the ability to adjust the air pressure on the fly, you can always find a comfortable zone. The passenger portion is huge and very comfy, according to the wife. Sure it's big, but I was looking for comfort more than style. Once you add lowers and a Tour Pak, it's a big bike anyways, so the seat does not look out of place in that configuration. One of the best investments i've made so far.