Installed HD adjustable backrest yesterday - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Seating: seats, backrests

Seating: seats, backrests SEATING: seats, backrests for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Hangaround

Thumbs up Installed HD adjustable backrest yesterday

Hi all,

After some time of debating which backrest to get for the RGU, I got a great price from my dealer on the adjustable rider backrest. ($250). At first I was worried about the installation, since I read so many comments about the lousy installation directions from other members. Well,, I agree, those directions are just confusing. It took me around two hours (something that should take half an hour- hour in retrospect) thanks to those stupid photos on the directions. I took the bike for a ride yeterday and man, it is SO much fun just to recline, turn the cruise control and enjoy the scenery. I'm glad I got the audjustable one, it's fantastic to be able to change the tilt on the fly. My only caveat is the backrest itself. Why does it have to be made so flimsy so it wobbles every which way? Why can't it be made right? I love HD oem but sometimes they're quality control is just shameful.
SE A/C
SERT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Hangaround

I'm thinking about the same set up... now I know what to expect for the install, thanks!

One question. How easy is it to remove the backrest? I am looking for something that can be easily removed when not in use.

MIKE
Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Administrator

I have the non adjustable backrest , cud not justify the extra expense for the mounting kit for the adjustable , the non adjustable , will come right off , it has four positions , you can move quite a good ways , but ya hafta take the seat off to change the position ..

No on the fly adjustments , but I have never needed it on the fly , you can adjust the backrest angle on the non adjustable
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Hangaround

It literally takes one second to remove the backrest.
I used to have a non audjustable backrest on a Kawasaki long time ago, so I knew the benefits of having one. But once you they to audjustable one you can't look back.
Although instructions are not the best. Overall, the install was simpler than I thought.
SE A/C
SERT
Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator

the instructions arent difficult , and most prolly dont need them , just the way they are written , reckon they have ta be written for kindergardners
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 PM

I have the adjustable back rest on mine and could not imagine riding without it. The comfort level is huge.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Hangaround

I'm running the adjustable...very impressive...allows the rider to move positions on fly...sure helps on long rides. (Just like adjustable electric seats...without the "Electric" Lol...)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Prospect

I've had the non adjustable one on my 07 RK then when I purchased the RG I got the adjustable one. The adjustable one is the way to go! The backrest come out with just a push of the button on the side and has much more range of adjustment than the non adjustable one. The non adjustable one pushed me forward and you are stuck with it. The adjustable one will move forward and backwards a bunch and then you have the adjustment of the backrest itself. I don't leave home without it!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Can some of you that have the adjustable comment on the "wobble" that the OP mentioned? I have been leaning (no pun intended) on the adjustable one. But I would expect it to be sturdy. I don't want to spend extra for something wobbly...

Mylo
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Hangaround

I think he is referring to the fact that the adjustable back rest pad is not fixed to the backrest bar with a solid mount but rather with a bit of a "wobble" to it. This enables the pad to always find it's sweet spot while it is being adjusted forward and aft. That's how mine is set up anyway. Not a loose pad...designed to function like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.