TIRE ALERT ! !!! Dunlop D408f tires - Page 14 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions

Road Glide Specific Discussions Everything directly related to Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Prospect

so whats the deal? should we get a letter in the mail for a recall on these tires or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Prospect

@ppalmerjr, look at your tire date and if it is an old tire then take it to the dealer and work it out, ask them to show you the safety data sheets or updates
Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAINSAW View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Tires are one of the most important pre trip things to check, yet almost everyone forgets them and takes it for granted.
I agree. This is why information like this is so important. Gave me a reality check.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Prospect

Default Trash

The Dunlop tires that Harley endorses are total crap. Yeah every one here brags about how long they last and blah blah blah. The ones on my 2010 RGC cupped. Rode like garbage. My indy suggested I try Avons because I was confused. Best choice I've ever made. I was able to lower my shock setting and it handles unbelievably. Corners, bumpy roads, 2 up. You name it. To hell with the longevity of a tire. If they rode like these that would be the ultimate combination. But they don't and never will. It's going to take a tragedy and a major lawsuit for them to stop putting that kind of crap on these bikes. Sorry guys just my .02 cents.

2010 FLTRX Black Denim "Voodoo"

Keep Calm and Chive On
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Short View Post
The Dunlop tires that Harley endorses are total crap. Yeah every one here brags about how long they last and blah blah blah. The ones on my 2010 RGC cupped. Rode like garbage. My indy suggested I try Avons because I was confused. Best choice I've ever made. I was able to lower my shock setting and it handles unbelievably. Corners, bumpy roads, 2 up. You name it. To hell with the longevity of a tire. If they rode like these that would be the ultimate combination. But they don't and never will. It's going to take a tragedy and a major lawsuit for them to stop putting that kind of crap on these bikes. Sorry guys just my .02 cents.
Too Short, I hope your X Ol' lady didn't give you that handle. lol

What Avons did you go with. I agree with ya on choosing the Avons. I think there one of the best MC tire Co.s out there.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Grey beard

This will sound unbelievable but my original set of tires on my 2011 RGU lasted almost 18k miles. When I had them changed out they were still within legal specs for a safety inspection. The front had 4/ 32 and rear 3/ 32. More than 15,000 of those miles were with the bike loaded down for touring, probably 120 pounds worth of stuff.

Must have been from a good batch of Dunlops.

'03 Deuce: 87k miles and counting, '11 RGU: 60k miles and counting. Celebrating 40 years in the saddle in 2014.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
This will sound unbelievable but my original set of tires on my 2011 RGU lasted almost 18k miles. When I had them changed out they were still within legal specs for a safety inspection. The front had 4/ 32 and rear 3/ 32. More than 15,000 of those miles were with the bike loaded down for touring, probably 120 pounds worth of stuff.

Not unbelievable IMO Dunlops are out standing tires for my HD and the riding I do.
However there was an issue with some 408's side wall splitting. They replaced mine and no more problem. Ever tire manufacture in the world has had some issue from time to time.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post

nope, not unbelievable at all. i changed out my front and rear at the same time with 20k on the odometer. the front tire still had a lot of tread left, but it had cupped bad enough to give a rough ride and since we were getting ready for a road trip, i sprung for the new one.

now the front tire, i just had replaced with 4000 (and 3 months) on it. yep, cracked. unfortunately, i did not get a chance to check the date of mfg on it. we'll see how this new one does. mfg 2611.

but hey, at least it's made in the usa