Question on Compensator Upgrade - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Question on Compensator Upgrade

Getting ready to upgrade the old compensator on my old 09 FLTR 96 inch motor to the SE one. Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? How about the tensioner? Is there an upgrade for that? If so, when I order the compensator does it come with a new tensioner?
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM

Check your clutch hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Grab a Hayden Auto Primary Tensioner. Also, not sure how much ur wanting to spend or do, but a Barnett Clutch is also something to consider if you want a smoother, non slipping clutch that feels like butter!! Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Are you going with the 2014 style? A tensioner doesn't come with the compensator, I was going to mention the Hayden also as a previous post. I have one, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet..... you might want to check on HD Forums, there are a few write ups both good and bad, may help your decission.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Life Member

+1 on Hayden, also I went to a Vulcanworks Solid Sprocket ~ got tired of a trip to the boutique every 15k. My average compensator over the last two bikes at 113k on the clocks combined since 2010 was 15k ~ Just food for thought, and the vulcanworks is $100 cheaper.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Ok, so I found 2 part numbers for the compensator, 40274-08A which I have literature for, and 83935-09A which I can find literature for. Does anyone know the difference between these 2? The 08A looks like the one, but I'd like to be sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Grey beard

Harley did another up grade to their SE compensator for 2014. That part should work on your bike and would be the latest from HD. Sorry, I don't have the part # but your dealer will have it listed in his "2014" catalog. Don't know anything about the changes but worth looking I guess.
Found the part# for the new one, it's 42200064

2005 RG 98cu in

Last edited by mocotom; 11-17-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Hangaround

+2 on the Vulcanworks engine sprocket. Made a huge difference in starting. No more looks from all the noise it used to make. Got sprocket for $175.50 shipped to the door.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdm View Post
+1 on Hayden, also I went to a Vulcanworks Solid Sprocket ~ got tired of a trip to the boutique every 15k. My average compensator over the last two bikes at 113k on the clocks combined since 2010 was 15k ~ Just food for thought, and the vulcanworks is $100 cheaper.
I'm going to have to look into the Vulcanworks I'm on my second compensator also, change the first one around 17k and I have about 36k now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR's RGC View Post
+2 on the Vulcanworks engine sprocket. Made a huge difference in starting. No more looks from all the noise it used to make. Got sprocket for $175.50 shipped to the door.
By that noise, do you mean that annoying kickback you get sometimes if the bike doesn't fire the first time? For $175 I'm checking, I may be due soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 AM

You gotta love this site! Just ordered a Vulcan sprocket for my new build. The se compensator a bought sat is going back. Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.