Hello fellow riders. Finally got to the computer today, and decided to share my Daytona story.
Two of my buddies and i decided to hit Daytona in the first days of March. The trip idea was not really solid since one of the guys got hit by an SUV in Brooklyn which resulted in a broken middle finger
and crushed left foot from being driven over it. The other had his 3-month old baby girl sick in hospital the week before this trip. So, we weren't really sure if this trip will happen or not. Then on 11th both of them got a "go" from their wives and we decided that we might as well do the Iron Butt ride.
We got together in Staten Island, NY on Thursday night after work and started getting the bikes ready. My buddy wanted to install highway pegs and silencer baffles for his Cobra pipes. BTW these silencers really work, they are called Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffles. You get all your loud sound at low speeds, but as soon as you get highway speed, it no longer makes the rider behind you thinking of how he can stick those pipe up yours
Got a few hours of sleep (3 hours to be exact) and got up to pack some more crap that we didn't think of last night. Finally, at 7am, after topping off the gas we departed from NY.
Ride through NY/NJ/DE was miserable, it was raining and fogging a bit, so it sucked. Thankfully the rain stopped by the time we've got to MD. I only got two words for this state: Washington and traffic. We spent about an hour or hour and a half in bumper to bumper standstill, so it sucked as well. Ride through NC and SC was pretty much the best part of the road. There were just trees swamps and lakes? for the most part of the highway. Very beautiful, much better then seeing sky scrapers and other stuff big cities come with. When we entered GA, it was already getting dark and we got hit by some mild rain, but that only lasted about 30-45 minutes of the ride. Finally we entered FL, holly crap, i never new it gets so cold there at night. We actually had to pull over and put on the liners. We entered Daytona Beach at around 12:45am, and hit the Main Street.
After walking/riding around and getting some food we decided it was a good idea to start looking for a room
Boy oh boy, we were riding all over the place looking for a vacancy, finally at 6:45am we found a room at Days Inn which was located in Palm Coast (about 30 miles North of Daytona). Got a few hours of sleep and hit Daytona H-D. A few hours spent there, then back to the Main St we go
Got back to the hotel around 3am caught some more z's, then breakfast and headed back home. We decided to split the ride home into two days, so we stopped by Motel6 somewhere near Weldon, NC. And headed home the next day. Everyone got home OK, and we qualified for the Iron Butt since we covered 1030+ miles in under 18 hours, now we just have to mail it in and get our pins
I'll post a few pics later on, once i get them from my friend.
Here is an approximate route we took
Now a few things that i noticed while on this trip:
1. A lot of bikes, but its sad that most of them (90%+) were towed in by trailers.
2. Way too many Das-Busa squids
3. People in FL, GA, SC and NC seem to be more aware of the motorcycles and don't cut you off as often.
4. The whole way back seen maybe 30 bikers riding back home, and most of them were for GA and SC. Kudos to the couple from Quebec who rode their bikes all the way there.
5. Most trailers were from SC and FL (so close yet can't ride their own way).
6. Too many cruiser folks riding with "cruiser face" (lips and chin forward
7. This was my first bike trip totaling about 2300 miles, and i loved it. Definitely doing this again, but next time it will be 2 days riding in, 2-3 days there, and 2 days to get back.
8. Sucks that i missed the RG meet, really wanted to meet you guys and gals. But i guess next time.
So who's going to Laconia Bike Week?