Devil's Triangle, TN - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
h-donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central KY
Posts: 3,638
Devil's Triangle, TN

wondering if anyone has ridden this and on a big bike what you thought?

I personally don't really enjoy going slower than 30mph, no matter how technical the road.


2010 FLTRX- r o a d g l i d e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
h-donut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Grey beard
 
FLSTFI Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 908
I have done the loop many times, on my Fatboy and on my Road Glides. There are hair pin turns. East bound on 116 there is also some poor patch work on the road.

Here is what one web site says, and I agree. "The Devils Triangle is not a place for the squeamish or beginning rider. There are sections with difficult steep switchbacks, poorly patched asphalt, heaves in the roadway, broken pavement, gravel in road, steep dropoffs, and coal/logging trucks to dodge. Other that that it is a great road. RIDE WITH EXTREME CARE ....."

Much of 116 has been repaved in the last 18 months, but there are still a few bad spots. Much is due to logging trucks.

It does take you by the old Bushy Moutain prison, which just closed. I have been by when it was still open, quite intimidating the prison.

It is best to ride clockwise, as the swithc backs are going up hill. However the road is in better condition going counter clock wise.

I have not rode it this year yet, paving may all be finished by now.

Here is one switch back, not photo shopped.



Here is a link with some information on it.
http://tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTri...sTriangle.html

2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust / Obsidian 138HP and 140 torque

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FLSTFI Dave; 06-26-2012 at 08:15 PM.
FLSTFI Dave is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Member
 
Exxon Valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 352
That's my favorite road in that area. As mentioned, ride with care, but have fun. That is one wild, awesome road to ride! Do the full loop, you won't be disappointed.

'05 BMW R1200RT
'09 FLTR (sold)
'84 FXR (sold)
Exxon Valdez is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
h-donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central KY
Posts: 3,638
I'm going to file it for now, sharkweek is coming up and I'd rather hold off.

honestly, a little boring, studied the map, riding 25+, I'd have to fly to peru or something to make that interesting.

sleepy hollow, cailfornia, was one of my nearly daily rides for years, compound radius switchbacks, are just not my bag. making you dizzy for no other reason than to make you dizzy. (yorba linda, ca to diamond bar, ca)

kinda missing ortega highway though.

sitting at home deciding which oil to run.

see you all at shark week.

thanks for the prompt input, much appreciated.

2010 FLTRX- r o a d g l i d e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
h-donut is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Grey beard
 
FLSTFI Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-donut View Post
I'm going to file it for now, sharkweek is coming up and I'd rather hold off.

honestly, a little boring, studied the map, riding 25+, I'd have to fly to peru or something to make that interesting.

sleepy hollow, cailfornia, was one of my nearly daily rides for years, compound radius switchbacks, are just not my bag. making you dizzy for no other reason than to make you dizzy. (yorba linda, ca to diamond bar, ca)

kinda missing ortega highway though.

sitting at home deciding which oil to run.

see you all at shark week.

thanks for the prompt input, much appreciated.
I can point you to much better roads to run in East TN.

You like high speed curves?

One of our favorite is take 70 west out of Lenoir City, posted at 50 and 55 but if you know the road, 60 to 65 is ok for most of it, a few board draggers. take it to Crossville, then hop on 68 south to Spring City, then on to Ten mile. Again nice tight curves, but can be run at 50 to 55 if you know what your doing. Then hit 58 north, booring for about 15 miles, and catch 72 east back to Lenoir city. Again nice high speed curves except two that will bring you down to 25 mph.

Foot hills parkway is great, only 22 miles or so, posted at 45, but 55 is a real blast.

68 out of Tellico to GA is a great ride too, nice curves. 64 along the Ocoee river is fun too, and senic. 30 West out of Dayton is another blast to ride all the way to Cookeville.

2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust / Obsidian 138HP and 140 torque

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FLSTFI Dave is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Exxon Valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave View Post
I can point you to much better roads to run in East TN.

You like high speed curves?

One of our favorite is take 70 west out of Lenoir City, posted at 50 and 55 but if you know the road, 60 to 65 is ok for most of it, a few board draggers. take it to Crossville, then hop on 68 south to Spring City, then on to Ten mile. Again nice tight curves, but can be run at 50 to 55 if you know what your doing. Then hit 58 north, booring for about 15 miles, and catch 72 east back to Lenoir city. Again nice high speed curves except two that will bring you down to 25 mph.

Foot hills parkway is great, only 22 miles or so, posted at 45, but 55 is a real blast.

68 out of Tellico to GA is a great ride too, nice curves. 64 along the Ocoee river is fun too, and senic. 30 West out of Dayton is another blast to ride all the way to Cookeville.
I love nice curves...

'05 BMW R1200RT
'09 FLTR (sold)
'84 FXR (sold)
Exxon Valdez is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
h-donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central KY
Posts: 3,638
me too, thanks FLSTFI Dave, I'll plot those out when I get a chance

2010 FLTRX- r o a d g l i d e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
h-donut is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Life Member
 
Radioactive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,797
Looks like a nice day ride next time I get to TN!

Be careful, STUPID doesnít care what direction it comes at you from!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Radioactive is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Have a nice time Sir,
Sandy P is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
h-donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central KY
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Looks like a nice day ride next time I get to TN!
knoxville mini meets wouldn't be out of the question, TN/GA is a great area.

spent a bunch of time camping and white water rafting there as a kid.

been dragging ass on servicing my bike, but hopefully today's the day.

2010 FLTRX- r o a d g l i d e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
h-donut is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cee Devil by Cee Bailey LARGECARTRANSPORT Windshields 6 07-16-2012 08:31 PM
"The Devil's Ride" renewed for 2nd season SickRick General Off-Topic Discussions 33 06-25-2012 10:34 AM
Motorcycle Checkpoints: American Bikers Need Not Deal with the Devil to Defeat Them ironboltbruce General Off-Topic Discussions 0 03-04-2011 01:03 PM
The Devil Can Ride akjeff *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 3 12-11-2010 09:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome