2016; the year of my dreamtrip? - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Jacksprat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,948
Garage
2016; the year of my dreamtrip?

It looks like it's finally going to happen! Been in my head all my adult life, been "planning" it for 10 yrs.; been mapping it for 5 yrs. Cross country on a bike! Almost pulled it off in'14 on a '78 wing that was pushing 100k & something in my gut said NO!!!!! Good thing I listened; about the time I would have been in the U.P, it took a major crap-out on me. If I'm rambling forgive me; I'm crazy excited, nervous, anxious, etc...... Leaving the farm-fields of east central IN. to south of Chicago for a good nights sleep at my wife's cousin's place then on to Milwaukee to the HD museum, then meandering my way west to Mt. Rushmore then on to Big Sky for a week w/ my wife in a nice cabin(w/ a tour bus trip to Yellowstone). After the wife flies back I continue on to Glacier NP?..... more meandering, Mt. Hood, Discovery park in Seattle;(hoping & praying for a clear day so I can watch the sun set from the park). If anyone knows of a "safe" place to stay in that area I would greatly appreciate the feedback! I'll be camping most of this trip w/ a motel when I need/want one. On to the pch after Seattle then? Thoughts,advice
Jacksprat56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Member
 
idahointrudr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 542
When you get to Glacier dont stay or stop In Browning. That place is scary.
If you can make it to Hungry Horse there is an old motel you can park your bike in front of your room. Cheap and clean. Its on the west side of park. Dont stay in Browning!
You could pitch a tent in Glacier. You have to put all your stuff in the bear boxes. Toothbrush, shaving cream just about everything.
I dont know which way from there you will go. Outside of Libby is the Kootenai falls Where they filmed The River Wild. Cool spot.
After that I like going to The Cedars. Big forest.
If you want a freaky ride go on the other side of Lake Cookanusa and ride to the town of Yaak. It brings you out over by Priest River. Its an old logging road the paved poorly. Its fine for our bikes. 50 mph or so?

Enjoy. I did the U.P. last year. Loved that area!
Jacksprat56 likes this.

2013 BBP TTS Tuner, Andrews 222 cams. Black Heritage bars, Dragos H Pipe, Madstad shield, Sanchos Wings
idahointrudr is offline  
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Grey beard
 
Desert Rider AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kingman Arizona
Posts: 861
If you have the time,just get out and ride! You won't regret it! I rode cross country a few times alone and one trip took me a month and rode 13000 miles,another trip took me 3 weeks and rode 12000 miles.At first it feels weird to ride far from home on a bike,but once you experience the great scenery and meet nice friendly folks along the way,you forget all about that and enjoy the ride! Mt Rushmore is a must see at least once and while in the black hills also ride along the Needles highway.In Wyoming check out Devil's Tower also.While heading west towards Yellowstone through WY,take Alt14 from Sheridan to Cody,nice route! Since you're planning to head into Montana,check out Beartooth highway,US 212, from Red Lodge MT to the WY border,awesome road! Glacier NP is also a must see! During the busy vacation season it can be hard to find a hotel up there unless you have reservations or stay at a campground.Stopped once for the night in Kalispell after a long days ride only to find out that closest hotel available was in Canada LOL.Since I was heading to Alaska anyway,rode into Canada past midnight and stayed in Cranbrook. Washington state is nice too! Rode through North Cascades NP and Mt Rainier NP. Been through Oregon once but didn't get a chance to check out the sights.Heard Mt Hood was nice and Crater Lake NP was pretty cool too! When you hit CA check out the Redwoods and traveling along PCH is an awesome ride too! If you head back through Utah,check out Zion NP and further east at AZ border,Monument Valley is a must see! In Colorado,check out Durango and head north on US 550 (Million dollar highway) to Ouray,awesome road! There are so many great places to see if you have the time lol. Always bring good clothing/rain gear with you.Been through hailstorms and also snow flurries riding through mountain passes during summer months! Also bring a tire kit and compact air pump that plugs into bike just in case.The HOG map book is helpful showing where all the dealers are in case you need something for the bike,oil change etc .And of'course always have enough water with you! Get out and tour the country,that's what the bike is made for! Hope this helps a bit.
Desert Rider AZ is offline  
 
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Life Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,568
What time of year are you doing this ride? Some of mountain passes a closed until the middle of June.

Here is beartooth pass on July 3rd.
TLWiz and Jacksprat56 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Road Glide Special, 2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Grey beard
 
lil chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 962
Garage
I 2nd what idaho said. Don't stay in Browning. It is an Indian reservation that is known for its violence & theivery. We went thru there a few years ago not knowing any better. We didn't have any problems, & even ate lunch there, but from what we were told, you don't want to be there after susnset. Chances are your bike will diappear if you are.
In my opinion, I think you may be rolling the dice this time of year with the weather up in those parts. We went thru Beartooth pass one year in July & there was still about 12' of snow on the sides of the roads.
Lil Chief
TLWiz and Jacksprat56 like this.

Famous Last Words: "Watch Me!"

2015 Denim Black RG, FM ss ceramic coated 2-1-2 pipe, White Bros Original E Series Mufflers, FM ac, PV Tuner
lil chief is offline  
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Life Member
 
BobRG15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roaming the USA
Posts: 2,112
Two thoughts depending on when you are planning this trip
1) Jealous
2) After Seattle Shark Week VI?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mako Fade Shark added Tour Pak with pass backrest-drivers backrest-pass floorboards-saddle bag guards
BobRG15 is offline  
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksprat56 View Post
It looks like it's finally going to happen! Been in my head all my adult life, been "planning" it for 10 yrs.; been mapping it for 5 yrs. Cross country on a bike! Almost pulled it off in'14 on a '78 wing that was pushing 100k & something in my gut said NO!!!!! Good thing I listened; about the time I would have been in the U.P, it took a major crap-out on me. If I'm rambling forgive me; I'm crazy excited, nervous, anxious, etc...... Leaving the farm-fields of east central IN. to south of Chicago for a good nights sleep at my wife's cousin's place then on to Milwaukee to the HD museum, then meandering my way west to Mt. Rushmore then on to Big Sky for a week w/ my wife in a nice cabin(w/ a tour bus trip to Yellowstone). After the wife flies back I continue on to Glacier NP?..... more meandering, Mt. Hood, Discovery park in Seattle;(hoping & praying for a clear day so I can watch the sun set from the park). If anyone knows of a "safe" place to stay in that area I would greatly appreciate the feedback! I'll be camping most of this trip w/ a motel when I need/want one. On to the pch after Seattle then? Thoughts,advice
On the way to Seattle you have a couple nice options, Chinook pass is nice but a little slower or Stevens pass is faster and smoother. While in the western Washington area, a trip up to anacortes and a ride down to oak harbor over deception pass would be something to remember, along with the ferry ride back over the sound to mainland.

If your in the SE corner of WA by the Oregon border shoot me a PM, might be able to connect for a beer or some lunch and I could point out some spots on the map for you.
Jacksprat56 likes this.
r_einan is offline  
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Jacksprat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,948
Garage
Mind reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rider AZ View Post
If you have the time,just get out and ride! You won't regret it! I rode cross country a few times alone and one trip took me a month and rode 13000 miles,another trip took me 3 weeks and rode 12000 miles.At first it feels weird to ride far from home on a bike,but once you experience the great scenery and meet nice friendly folks along the way,you forget all about that and enjoy the ride! Mt Rushmore is a must see at least once and while in the black hills also ride along the Needles highway.In Wyoming check out Devil's Tower also.While heading west towards Yellowstone through WY,take Alt14 from Sheridan to Cody,nice route! Since you're planning to head into Montana,check out Beartooth highway,US 212, from Red Lodge MT to the WY border,awesome road! Glacier NP is also a must see! During the busy vacation season it can be hard to find a hotel up there unless you have reservations or stay at a campground.Stopped once for the night in Kalispell after a long days ride only to find out that closest hotel available was in Canada LOL.Since I was heading to Alaska anyway,rode into Canada past midnight and stayed in Cranbrook. Washington state is nice too! Rode through North Cascades NP and Mt Rainier NP. Been through Oregon once but didn't get a chance to check out the sights.Heard Mt Hood was nice and Crater Lake NP was pretty cool too! When you hit CA check out the Redwoods and traveling along PCH is an awesome ride too! If you head back through Utah,check out Zion NP and further east at AZ border,Monument Valley is a must see! In Colorado,check out Durango and head north on US 550 (Million dollar highway) to Ouray,awesome road! There are so many great places to see if you have the time lol. Always bring good clothing/rain gear with you.Been through hailstorms and also snow flurries riding through mountain passes during summer months! Also bring a tire kit and compact air pump that plugs into bike just in case.The HOG map book is helpful showing where all the dealers are in case you need something for the bike,oil change etc .And of'course always have enough water with you! Get out and tour the country,that's what the bike is made for! Hope this helps a bit.
Desert Rider AZ; you pretty much mapped out what I had in mind after the pch. I'll be out there 5-6 weeks although not sure I can do those kinds of miles,(I have a few yrs. on me) but we'll see. Thanks for the encouragement & the feedback.
Jacksprat56 is offline  
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Jacksprat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,948
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
What time of year are you doing this ride? Some of mountain passes a closed until the middle of June.

Here is beartooth pass on July 3rd.
NICE PIC!!! I'll be leaving May 24 & have been warned already about the highlands, but repitition is always good to get the brain "programmed". Thanks bro.
twowheeladdict likes this.
Jacksprat56 is offline  
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Jacksprat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,948
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRG15 View Post
Two thoughts depending on when you are planning this trip
1) Jealous
2) After Seattle Shark Week VI?
If memory serves me correctly, I won't be back in time for SW6 as I really want to make it to El Cajon,CA. to see my youngest son, but am already thinking of #7!!!!!!
Jacksprat56 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally got my system in my 2016 RG. HawaiianBuddha69 Audio 2 07-06-2017 07:59 PM
Happy new year 2016 DragoBikeWorks Engine Related 1 12-31-2015 05:20 PM
Poping My Sturgis chery this year. What route to take??? 2XCRASH *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 7 02-15-2014 07:11 PM
my rg ultra is 1 year old today! burnah *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 11 09-22-2012 05:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome