Rode a non-shark - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Bleachey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southside of Indianapolis
Posts: 1,555
Garage
Rode a non-shark

Not really a road trip, but don't know where else to post it. So a colleague at work has been trying really hard to find a bike to buy, HD. I've really been working him on the RG, but alas he decided he wanted to get a street glide. Last Friday he asked me if I would go look at an '09 black street glide. After giving him the appropriate level of shit for buying the most popular/common/stereotypical bike possible I agreed. He has ridden, but it's been 10-12 years, and he was a crotch rocket guy. I looked the bike over the best my non-professional eyes could. It only has 13500 miles, with the original rear tire. The front was a couple of years old because of a nail. The tread on the bike still looked decent, I wouldn't hesitate based on the wear to ride it , but suggested he get new shoes anyway because of them being so old. The guy selling is about 70, a couple pieces of chrome and pipes, that's about it. As I'm looking it over the old guy tosses me the keys and says, take it for a spin. I say ok, take it around the neighborhood and on one main street, get it up to about 60, no more than a mile ride. Everything feels good, I'm pleasantly surprised how nimble it feels. Mike buys it. Today is the day he was finalizing the deal at the bank. He was going to ride it home, but asked if I would since he doesn't have his endorsement yet, not even his permit since he let it lapse. I agree. We didn't beat the rain, so I had to ride it about 10 miles in a light rain. Again, really surprised how well it handled and felt so much smaller than my Ultra. Now to the point of my story, I used to own a batwing, '96 Electra Glide Classic with a tour pak. I went from it to my 11 RGU. I've been thinking about a bike for me solo, hadn't really considered a street glide or RG custom/non ultra. My question to those with experience, is the lack of a tour pack the main reason the bike felt so much nimbler and smaller? Could the lower rear end be what felt so different? I love my Ultra, especially with the better half and road tripping love the space the tour pak gives. I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference, but it was really significant. Now I want to find a RG custom or special to ride to see what it feels like.
Jacksprat56 likes this.

2011 Road Glide Ultra
Bleachey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Member
 
anonymous_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wyanet, Illinois
Posts: 376
Food for thought. It's not that difficult to remove the tour pak, take it off and try it out. But I guess if you could find a custom to ride it would be a lot easier.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Road Glide Ultra, House of Kolor custom paint, 4" Rinehart true duals, Fuel Moto AC, Power Vision, Covington covers, Biketronics 7.1" front and rear with BT4180 amp and Alpine 164bt, Hogpro 21" 6-pack
anonymous_1 is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:11 AM
Life Member
 
09Sharknose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 2,098
It's a lot lighter without the tourpak. Suspension upgrades help with the "nimble" feel. If you ride a Rushmore SG you'll like it even more than the '09.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
09Sharknose is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 AM
Prospect
 
gorillaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 280
Garage
I went from a 2010 EG to a 2016 FLTRU.

The FLTRU is miles nimbler than the EG. The tour pak does make a huge difference but the frame mount fairing makes the whole bike seem lighter.

I think you will be amazed at how much lighter the RG Special feels.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 FLTRU Vivid Black
gorillaman is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 69
Garage
Before you pick another bagger, try a Dyna. I solo-toured on an FXDXT for 12 years. Mine was outfitted with LeatherPros saddle and trunk bags (locking, quick release) and was light, nimble and fast.
TomB. is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Bleachey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southside of Indianapolis
Posts: 1,555
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB. View Post
Before you pick another bagger, try a Dyna. I solo-toured on an FXDXT for 12 years. Mine was outfitted with LeatherPros saddle and trunk bags (locking, quick release) and was light, nimble and fast.
I've been considering this as well, but the more I think about I don't think I will be happy with a non-touring size bike. While not extremely tall, I'm a bigger guy and enjoy being comfortable. I ride my sons 1100 V-Star occasionally, but it feels too small.

2011 Road Glide Ultra
Bleachey is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,805
Garage
Rode a non-shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleachey View Post
I've been considering this as well, but the more I think about I don't think I will be happy with a non-touring size bike. While not extremely tall, I'm a bigger guy and enjoy being comfortable. I ride my sons 1100 V-Star occasionally, but it feels too small.

I was going to suggest a Dyna as well but if you feel that may be too small why not just go with the Road King. Since you already have the best bike in the road glide, I would consider going with the Road King as it is very convertible and will feel even more nimble than either of the fairing bikes.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 214
I had an 05 CVO Electraglide with full size tour pack the lowered shocks and springs made a world of difference in how it felt around town. However on a long run 500 to 800 mile days it would wear you down. My '15 Road Glide Ultra is not as "nimble" feeling in town but on long road days in the saddle sweepers and hairpins it way out performs the lowered bike. Just MHO.
Shadow1 is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern WV
Posts: 641
Garage
I did the detach tour pac and StreetGlide shocks on my 13 RGU so I can have the best of both worlds in about 5 minutes. I can't get over how heavy the handlebars feel when I get stuck with test riding a batwing.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DuraGlide is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Life Member
 
Jacksprat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,952
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleachey View Post
Not really a road trip, but don't know where else to post it. So a colleague at work has been trying really hard to find a bike to buy, HD. I've really been working him on the RG, but alas he decided he wanted to get a street glide. Last Friday he asked me if I would go look at an '09 black street glide. After giving him the appropriate level of shit for buying the most popular/common/stereotypical bike possible I agreed. He has ridden, but it's been 10-12 years, and he was a crotch rocket guy. I looked the bike over the best my non-professional eyes could. It only has 13500 miles, with the original rear tire. The front was a couple of years old because of a nail. The tread on the bike still looked decent, I wouldn't hesitate based on the wear to ride it , but suggested he get new shoes anyway because of them being so old. The guy selling is about 70, a couple pieces of chrome and pipes, that's about it. As I'm looking it over the old guy tosses me the keys and says, take it for a spin. I say ok, take it around the neighborhood and on one main street, get it up to about 60, no more than a mile ride. Everything feels good, I'm pleasantly surprised how nimble it feels. Mike buys it. Today is the day he was finalizing the deal at the bank. He was going to ride it home, but asked if I would since he doesn't have his endorsement yet, not even his permit since he let it lapse. I agree. We didn't beat the rain, so I had to ride it about 10 miles in a light rain. Again, really surprised how well it handled and felt so much smaller than my Ultra. Now to the point of my story, I used to own a batwing, '96 Electra Glide Classic with a tour pak. I went from it to my 11 RGU. I've been thinking about a bike for me solo, hadn't really considered a street glide or RG custom/non ultra. My question to those with experience, is the lack of a tour pack the main reason the bike felt so much nimbler and smaller? Could the lower rear end be what felt so different? I love my Ultra, especially with the better half and road tripping love the space the tour pak gives. I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference, but it was really significant. Now I want to find a RG custom or special to ride to see what it feels like.
Had my tour pak off to put bag guards on and decided to take it for a ride; big difference. Much easier to handle! If I had$$$$$$$$$$$ I'd probably get something else for quick fun runs, but I don't & will not depart w/my RGS. Just my 2 cents worth.
Jacksprat56 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non Road Glide/Non Harley for sale (Yamaha VStar) Bleachey Sold 2 07-18-2016 08:18 AM
OK, just a few pics of the bike from a non shark week person ChromeYellow67 Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 6 07-22-2012 04:44 PM
rode the cvo today skratch *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 2 10-15-2011 10:14 AM
Why I rode to work! RoadGlide5150 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 26 07-13-2011 11:23 AM
Rode the Pepper Bike today Wooden Nickel *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 13 03-30-2011 09:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome