Lake Superior Loop - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Posts: 397
Garage
Lake Superior Loop

Hey all.
We are in the planning stages of putting a week long group ride around Lake Superior.
Either last week of July of first week of Aug.
I found this site very informative.

Ride Lake Superior | Ride Lake Superior Motorcycle Tour, Epic Motorcycle Journey, Ontario, Canada, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin,

Other than the obvious...are there any hidden gems?
Any places not mentioned that are worth checking out?
Here is our constantly changing itinerary lol.

Frid night Tobermory ON
Sat night SSM ON
Sun night Munising MI
Mon night Copper Harbor MI
Tue night Superior WI.
Wed night Nipigon ON.
Thur and Fri night Batachawan Bay ON
Saturday night Tobermory ON
Sunday home.

We are looking for water falls...great pull offs...nice places for a cold beer...nice patio bars.
Other great places to take pics.
Any great mom and pops to stay at.
The website above is very informative I'm just looking for maybe places not listed.
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Ickshter likes this.

She might not be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling but with her pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's being served. IBA #56452

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Ickshter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Western, WI
Posts: 423
Garage
Holy crap!!! I am sitting here at work right now doing the exact same thing!!! Just playing around with google maps though. I will look at what the site has, but just going by my own memory, there are a LOT of waterfalls and great sites heading up 61 north of Duluth on your way up to Thunder bay. I am sure they have gooseberry falls and I think cut creek as well, but it has been a few years since I have been up that way.

Thank you for the find!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.
Ickshter is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:18 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mpls MN.
Posts: 273
When passing through Ironwood Mich. the highlight of the ride for the day has always been to stop at copperpeak ski flying hill and take the elevator ride to the top. google it and make the stop, you will be glad you did. On the way to Copper harbor stop at Toni's country kitchen in Laurium Mich. (google it) and get a local fare food item called a pastie to go and eat it at the top of Brockway Mtn. at the look out. If you miss the turnout for Brockway stop along the lake at one of the many areas is good also for your picnic lunch. While going from Copper harbor to Ironwood instead or dropping down to 28 head west to Ontonagon (along the lake) continue west to the Porcupine Mtn. state park and take the south boundary road of the park to 519 and on into Wakefield and hwy28. Have a good time.

Last edited by roadglidetouring; 02-14-2017 at 03:20 AM.
roadglidetouring is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Speedie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rogers, MN
Posts: 480
Garage
Along the North Shore you have to stop at Gooseberry Falls. Also recommend Temperance River and Kakabeka falls.

The North Shore and the UP of Michigan are both known for some amazing waterfalls.

When you hit the Keweena Peninsula (UP Michigan) make sure you swing through the Porcupine Mountains (South Boundary Road) and make the quick swing up to Lake of the Clouds. Both are highlights of the UP.

Been up to the UP three times in the last 5 years and making another trip this summer. Great riding up that way.

2015 Road Glide Special
Detachable Trunk : Detachable Passenger Back Rest
Rinehart Exhaust : De-Cat Headers : J&M 330W Rokker Amp and Speakers
Speedie is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Posts: 397
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidetouring View Post
When passing through Ironwood Mich. the highlight of the ride for the day has always been to stop at copperpeak ski flying hill and take the elevator ride to the top. google it and make the stop, you will be glad you did. On the way to Copper harbor stop at Toni's country kitchen in Laurium Mich. (google it) and get a local fare food item called a pastie to go and eat it at the top of Brockway Mtn. at the look out. If you miss the turnout for Brockway stop along the lake at one of the many areas is good also for your picnic lunch. While going from Copper harbor to Ironwood instead or dropping down to 28 head west to Ontonagon (along the lake) continue west to the Porcupine Mtn. state park and take the south boundary road of the park to 519 and on into Wakefield and hwy28. Have a good time.
See now this is exactly what I'm looking for.
I was going to hit up Subway in Laurium and take it to a picnic area but your idea sounds so much better.
Coming from Ontario I've heard of "pastie" but never tried it.
This will be the perfect time to do so.
Ski flying hill sounds like a great way to break up the day....I love it!
Some great info here ^^^^ thanks so much.

She might not be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling but with her pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's being served. IBA #56452

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiley is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Posts: 397
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Along the North Shore you have to stop at Gooseberry Falls. Also recommend Temperance River and Kakabeka falls.

The North Shore and the UP of Michigan are both known for some amazing waterfalls.

When you hit the Keweena Peninsula (UP Michigan) make sure you swing through the Porcupine Mountains (South Boundary Road) and make the quick swing up to Lake of the Clouds. Both are highlights of the UP.

Been up to the UP three times in the last 5 years and making another trip this summer. Great riding up that way.
I didnt know about Temperance River but we will check it out for sure...Thanks for this.
I wasnt sure about Lake of Clouds but the google pics look great so we will check them out also.

Found a great Hot Dog place in Munising that I'm just dying to try

She might not be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling but with her pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's being served. IBA #56452

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiley is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: WI
Posts: 26
planning the same trip, just starting in WI, we love the north shore area, lots to see. I have only been to the UP Michigan area snowmobiling so the summer time should be good also. The website has a lot of info but also a lot of high volume tourist spots, i like to avoid that type of vibe when I can. I agree, Gooseberry, Temperance and I also like Grand Maraise, cool little town but a LOT of tourists on the weekends.

Some people are like slinky's, they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wicked Tin is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 220
B and B

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...y_Ontario.html

My wife and I stayed here. A good spot. Good bike parking. A short walk to anything and an even shorter ride lol. Good breakfast. Nice people.

Dry Dock B and B

Last edited by Drampy; 02-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Drampy is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Grey beard
 
sfcusaret2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,174
on my bucket list too, along with a full Great Lakes loop to visit and circumnavigate all 5!

Life is too short to put up with stupidity. Strive every day to educate someone, including yourself!
sfcusaret2004 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Posts: 397
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickshter View Post
Holy crap!!! I am sitting here at work right now doing the exact same thing!!! Just playing around with google maps though. I will look at what the site has, but just going by my own memory, there are a LOT of waterfalls and great sites heading up 61 north of Duluth on your way up to Thunder bay. I am sure they have gooseberry falls and I think cut creek as well, but it has been a few years since I have been up that way.

Thank you for the find!!!
Hey Ick....what are the odds lol.
Ya Ive been talking with friends back home and they are really into this trip.
I've found quite a few nice pull offs on my own and I'll try and make a map tomorrow.
I couldnt find Cut Creek.

She might not be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling but with her pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's being served. IBA #56452

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiley is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lake Superior Round Trip dn.bnntt Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 5 05-03-2016 07:47 AM
Unsung Motorcycle Heroes III: Paul Pepe Of Ride Lake Superior Motorcycle.com *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 2 03-11-2016 03:07 AM
Lake Superior trip biackbenz Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 1 05-29-2012 02:42 AM
Reno NV to Victoria BC Loop July 27th Jacquesgray Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 13 05-19-2012 10:13 PM
Lake Superior, north shore hwy 61 DED HD Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 1 10-08-2010 10:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome