Riding to Maine and beyond... - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
steel breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 444
Garage
Riding to Maine and beyond...

Riding out from Michigan. Planning on riding through PA, NY, VT, NH, then into Maine for a few days. From there, I'll start heading South until I hit the Potomac River to do some sight seeing. I really want to camp the whole trip, but know that it might be harder the further South I venture. My main goal is to get a few days camping in Maine, and to enjoy some awesome lobster. I'll be riding solo, and don't really have a time table. Very flexible.

Just looking for ideas or suggestions. Looking for a nice little shack on the side of the road to stop and have a few cold beers and a huge lobster tail. From there, I'm open to anything else. Thanks for any pointers.

Dave

2005 Shark. Madstad shield, Progressive Mono tubes, Kenwood KMR-M315 deck, Alpine SPR-60C speakers, Trask V-line bars, V&H Pro Pipe, S&S cams, 21" Fat Spoke, extended bags, SE air cleaner.
steel breeze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:07 AM
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,131
Garage
Download the KOA app. I just did 9 states and that app kicks ass. I'd find a KOA about where I wanted to stop. And reserve the site right then. When I got there my map and site location was tacked to the wall after closing. No need to check out. Just leave. And there's a ton down south. You won't have any issues. Luray VA is a beautiful KOA. And you have the caverns right there and you're about 45 miles from skyline drive.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-tri...-9-states.html

You'll be passing right by my house in Ohio. Look up Geneva on the lake. Cool little stop off.

Have fun.

Also. We did a NE run last year. Look up "The Lobster Shack" ya stand in line order your food and then go to a picnic table 25 yards off the ocean. Really cool place. And it is a hot spot. All the locals eat there.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.

Last edited by RFG7680; 07-14-2017 at 04:15 AM.
RFG7680 is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
steel breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 444
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFG7680 View Post
Download the KOA app. I just did 9 states and that app kicks ass. I'd find a KOA about where I wanted to stop. And reserve the site right then. When I got there my map and site location was tacked to the wall after closing. No need to check out. Just leave. And there's a ton down south. You won't have any issues. Luray VA is a beautiful KOA. And you have the caverns right there and you're about 45 miles from skyline drive.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-tri...-9-states.html

You'll be passing right by my house in Ohio. Look up Geneva on the lake. Cool little stop off.

Have fun.

Also. We did a NE run last year. Look up "The Lobster Shack" ya stand in line order your food and then go to a picnic table 25 yards off the ocean. Really cool place. And it is a hot spot. All the locals eat there.
I never thought of a camping app. Lol! Great idea!! I plan on riding until 5pm or so, then start looking for camping. Not sure what time the sun starts going down over there, so I'll have to watch that too. Not a fan of setting up camp in the dark with coons and other critters running around. Lol! But, thanks for the app advice! Definitely going to check out some lobster shacks. Been reading up on them. Looks like a lot of them are BYOB. Kinda cool.

2005 Shark. Madstad shield, Progressive Mono tubes, Kenwood KMR-M315 deck, Alpine SPR-60C speakers, Trask V-line bars, V&H Pro Pipe, S&S cams, 21" Fat Spoke, extended bags, SE air cleaner.
steel breeze is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 AM
Life Member
 
madmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,878
Garage
Hi Dave,

Want to see real Maine without going to far north, Cooks lobster house Bailey island me. The real deal, good food, beautiful views, about 2 north of the nh/me border.

Sunset coastal Maine roughly 815.

Have fun,

Matt


https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.4PlFA5xz2dQ


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

18 RGS Bonneville Salt Pearl
madmat is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
steel breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 444
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Hi Dave,

Want to see real Maine without going to far north, Cooks lobster house Bailey island me. The real deal, good food, beautiful views, about 2 north of the nh/me border.

Sunset coastal Maine roughly 815.

Have fun,

Matt


https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.4PlFA5xz2dQ
Awesome!! I have a feeling I'll be eating a LOT of lobster! Thanks for the link.

2005 Shark. Madstad shield, Progressive Mono tubes, Kenwood KMR-M315 deck, Alpine SPR-60C speakers, Trask V-line bars, V&H Pro Pipe, S&S cams, 21" Fat Spoke, extended bags, SE air cleaner.
steel breeze is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Member
 
SurlyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central MA
Posts: 498
Around this time in New England it starts getting dark a little after eight.

You might want to book your campground a little ahead of time, especially near the ocean and popular spots. It's peak season so things fill up pretty fast

Enjoy your ride

2012 Palladium Silver Road Glide Ultra Vance&Hines Power Duals w/ 4" Twin Slash, FP3, Progressive Monotubes- Touring Link-444's, LED headlights/turns/brake, Hawg-Wired Four-In-The-Face, Enforcer Wheels, Rushmore Bags, Madstad, Detachable Tour Pak, Air Horns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SurlyBoy is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
steel breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 444
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBoy View Post
Around this time in New England it starts getting dark a little after eight.

You might want to book your campground a little ahead of time, especially near the ocean and popular spots. It's peak season so things fill up pretty fast

Enjoy your ride
Sage advice. Thanks, brother.
steel breeze is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Hangaround
 
captainhook455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 68
Well I would love to see you down this way in SE NC, but it is really hot down here starting in VA. maybe even further nawth. Hot is not the word. Sizzling would be the word not much better at night.

We call it the Texas heat wave. You would sleep on top of the sleeping bag. The mosquitoes can carry you off. Some are so old they just lick you and fly away.

madmat and steel breeze like this.
captainhook455 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Life Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel breeze View Post
Riding out from Michigan. Planning on riding through PA, NY, VT, NH, then into Maine for a few days. From there, I'll start heading South until I hit the Potomac River to do some sight seeing. I really want to camp the whole trip, but know that it might be harder the further South I venture. My main goal is to get a few days camping in Maine, and to enjoy some awesome lobster. I'll be riding solo, and don't really have a time table. Very flexible.

Just looking for ideas or suggestions. Looking for a nice little shack on the side of the road to stop and have a few cold beers and a huge lobster tail. From there, I'm open to anything else. Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
Look at my posts here for the Maine Coastline.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-tri...hen-south.html

I have attached the route I took through PA, NY, VT, NH and Maine back in '14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 05 24 000 Day 1 Route.jpg (125.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 05 25 000 Day 2 Route.jpg (240.6 KB, 13 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Road Glide Special, 2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, 1975 KT250 Trials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Life Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,454
A couple more days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 05 26 000 Day 3 route.jpg (140.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 05 27 000 Day 4 Route.jpg (101.1 KB, 11 views)
steel breeze likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Road Glide Special, 2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, 1975 KT250 Trials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retirement ride-Utah and beyond WAZMAN Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 11 07-26-2016 12:44 PM
Sturgis...And Beyond The Volusianator *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 2 09-08-2014 12:11 AM
Starting to plan my run to SW III and beyond landshark ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT 3 12-24-2012 10:12 PM
WindVest Excellent Customer Service Above And Beyond blackripley Windshields 6 10-08-2012 07:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome