12000km road trip, technical aftermath
As you know I went to NordKapp Norway, riding 12000km under severe heat, some winter like cold and heavy rain. Bike got severely dirt, especially with sand and mud collected up north.
The RGU is now showing the bill that I’m on my way to fix, here they are:
1) cooling system: I had an overtemp for 3 consecutive days, just a few miles after start-up and then system worked ok the rest of the day. I was still in the north, as soon as temperatures raised going south the issue disappeared. The main suspect was the thermostat, replaced it under warranty.
2) gear indication sometimes disappearing dumping the cruise control, in some case neutral light was coming on despite bike in 6th gear at highway speed. No code, main suspect is the clutch switch being dirty, I will try to clean it tomorrow and I will check for it. I do not think it is the CKP because that would have shut down the bike.
3) rider headset not activating anymore the VOX, if PTT is pushed (have the lighted switches but not the CB) the rider hear the voice very low and only if no noise is around ( meaning 0 with engine on). Passenger headset works fine. Tomorrow I will take it to the dealer.
4) found a HUGE amount of dirt beneath the seat, the battery caddy was full of sand and the 2 bolt in charge of secure it were loose almost out of thread. The battery bolts were loose and it took almost a complete turn to have them at torque.
5) air filter was ok, everytime I was in the rain the rain sock was in to protect and it did its job.
Next appointment is a 1000km final transfer to Italy trip in 2 weeks, I hope no other surprises will show up before that, but I can declare myself satisfied for the overall performance of my beloved shark
Last edited by Beaver; 08-31-2018 at 04:19 PM.