Sturgis Ride - Road Glide Forums
Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 7
Sturgis Ride

Me and a couple of my buddies are riding to Sturgis the end of June this year to see sites we have not been able to while attending the rallies and being swarmed all over with thousands of bikers! We've had enough of that rally so we're doing it different this year. Headed up from southern Arizona to the Rapid City area, ride around for a few days then we'll head west to Yellowstone and then on back south to cactus country. Looking forward to the ride on my 2017 RG that I bought new in April 2017. Never have done a cross country on a glide but I expect it to be a good one.
Jacksprat56 likes this.
bigtex1946 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,121
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex1946 View Post
Me and a couple of my buddies are riding to Sturgis the end of June this year to see sites we have not been able to while attending the rallies and being swarmed all over with thousands of bikers! We've had enough of that rally so we're doing it different this year. Headed up from southern Arizona to the Rapid City area, ride around for a few days then we'll head west to Yellowstone and then on back south to cactus country. Looking forward to the ride on my 2017 RG that I bought new in April 2017. Never have done a cross country on a glide but I expect it to be a good one.
It's going to be an awesome ride. I did it early September last year. I refuse to go near them rally's. Hate them. I like to ride and see things. Nothing against them. For you guys that go more power to ya.

Here's my trip.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-tr...ower-bust.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Grey beard
 
lil chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 958
Garage
I recommend staying in one of the smaller towns like Sturgis, Keystone, etc. Rapid City is kinda expensive when it comes to hotels, plus you have to deal with the morning & evening traffic in Rapid. (although it's not bad).

Lil Chief
thedude, Jacksprat56 and RFG7680 like this.

Famous Last Words: "Watch Me!"

2015 Denim Black RG, FM ss ceramic coated 2-1-2 pipe, White Bros Original E Series Mufflers, FM ac, PV Tuner
lil chief is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Grey beard
 
thedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Neponset IL
Posts: 892
Lilchief is on to something there. I stayed in Spearfish last year and started every day off with a ride down Spearfish Canyon. Put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.
Jacksprat56 and Buzzy like this.
thedude is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Grey beard
 
lil chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 958
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
Lilchief is on to something there. I stayed in Spearfish last year and started every day off with a ride down Spearfish Canyon. Put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.
My thoughts exactly. Wake up in the hills, grab some coffee and breakfast, and take off. Puts ya alot closer to all the scenic riding if ya stay somewhere in the hills, or even Sturgis. Vannocker Canyon is right there out of Sturgis, or one can take the back highway to Deadwood, then thru the hills. Remember, Rapid is the biggest city, with a military base close by, so regular folks are still gonna be going to work every morning. I dont see the point in spending 30-45 minutes in morning traffic to get to the scenic rides.
Lil Chief
Jacksprat56 likes this.

Famous Last Words: "Watch Me!"

2015 Denim Black RG, FM ss ceramic coated 2-1-2 pipe, White Bros Original E Series Mufflers, FM ac, PV Tuner
lil chief is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,121
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil chief View Post
I recommend staying in one of the smaller towns like Sturgis, Keystone, etc. Rapid City is kinda expensive when it comes to hotels, plus you have to deal with the morning & evening traffic in Rapid. (although it's not bad).

Lil Chief
We stayed 3 miles out of Deadwood. While it was off season. It was still quiet and nice to be out of town.
Jacksprat56 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Hangaround
 
z73421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 141
If you stay in Cody while visiting Yellowstone take a day to ride up to Red Rock, MT and then cross Beartooth Pass into the Northern entrance of Yellowstone. If that isn't one of the best rides you ever take than there is something wrong with you.
z73421 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Member
 
fatfatboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 313
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFG7680 View Post
It's going to be an awesome ride. I did it early September last year. I refuse to go near them rally's. Hate them. I like to ride and see things. Nothing against them. For you guys that go more power to ya.

Here's my trip.

https://www.roadglide.org/10-road-tr...ower-bust.html
I'm right there with you. Give me the open road and no line when I gotta pee. I've been to the Black Hills and the area a couple times. Never during the rally.
Did Daytona once. Not had the desire to go back.
Jacksprat56 and RFG7680 like this.

There once was a biker named Double-Fat. Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze, His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011
fatfatboy is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Hangaround
 
Prolific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 141
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z73421 View Post
If you stay in Cody while visiting Yellowstone take a day to ride up to Red Rock, MT and then cross Beartooth Pass into the Northern entrance of Yellowstone. If that isn't one of the best rides you ever take than there is something wrong with you.
I think you meant Red Lodge. But I agree. Beartooth Pass is absolutely one of the best rides in the country!

Prolific
2019 Road Glide Special - Ultra-ized
Scorched Orange & Denim Black
Prolific is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Hangaround
 
z73421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 141
Yes, Red Lodge. The memory is the first to go. But I do remember the ride.
z73421 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Agenda for Shark Week VI in Canada JRMAC ARCHIVES-SWVI Canmore, Canada EH! 26 08-01-2016 01:02 AM
Rolling Thunder Freedom Ride (Ride to the Wall) XXVI Ranger75 Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 8 05-18-2013 10:05 AM
My Shark Week III Day Ride Plans OldNerdGuy ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT 32 04-08-2013 06:59 PM
Sunny day for a ride Wildman *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 4 04-30-2012 09:38 AM
Sturgis tally so far... BLKNCr6 General Off-Topic Discussions 4 08-15-2011 07:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome