Road Glide banner

Need options for replaceing weatherstripping

11K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  fragmentum 
#1 ·
Hello,
One of the flaws that seems to be common in every "Glide" motorcycle is that the black weatherstipping between the inner and outer snakes right out. I left mine out because it was so out-of-spec and I had no new. Im not sure I want to go back to the OEM style anyway. A friend in my congregation has a Street Glide and this is a problem for him too. What are my options for a higher quality weatherstrip that will stay put? Also I have a Windvest sheild and I do not know if it a factory part but the weatherstripping on the lower edge of this is not impressing me either.

#10 ·
After 8 yrs, say WTF for took it off, used wellnuts (with larger thin neophrems) longer with raised buttons. Still an't figured out what the strip is good foe except to place in parts boxes with $hit like the belt gaurd. No the rain don't get in or(wind whistle @ or if it does who cares you wet on a bike, the dash mainly dry. that was two yr ago, seal the inner Shit..... cosmetic!!!

#11 ·
I also used the door edge guard from Autozone. It's basically the same stuff as the X trim but the cost is WAAAAYYYY less. No adhesive/glue/caulking needed and as others have said it's thicker than the stock stuff and looks much better.
However, Reds brings up a good point. I've seen other bikes that run with no edging and have had no problems. Cough*** Lymey **Cough

#12 ·
I tried the X-Trim and wasn't very happy with it.
I then went to Auto Zone and bought there Edge Guard Trim and can only say wow. What a difference. As was stated by pacfan1967, it is way much less expensive as X-Trim.
But that's just my opinion.
Best of luck on your decision.
Mike U.

#13 ·
I have no trim on...very clean look.

#14 ·
I bought my used RG in 2010 and one of the first mods was to up the quality of the headlights so had to pop off the outer fairing to replace the halogens. I thought the edging looked a little sloppy for fit from the factory but didn't do anything about it at that time. In 2011 I swapped out the air temp gauge for an oil temp gauge and replaced the OEM eddge trim with new OEM trim. I noticed that the OEM trim already had adhesive applied on the inside, and as it was a warm day the new trim was quite pliable. I applied it and noticed it flowed around the corners and fit very well. I decided that when it is applied at the factory that the job was done sloppily and may not have been inspected for quality. Mine has stayed on and in perfect position since then.
Now I am having my inner fairing painted and will replace this edge trim once more. I looked at the Xtrim images online, and I must comment here that it looks way too large around the fairing. It doesn't look too bad on the bottom edge of the windshield, but then a lot of us use a metal trim across that bottom edge anyway.
So, if I can't find an edge material that is better and less obtrusive than the OEM trim, I am going back to it.

#16 ·
More Door Edge Info

Black door edge guard works great. A little thicker as was said.
Just did mine last night. Got a pack of two strips of black from Napa Autoparts. Balkamp # BK7301895 less than $5 out the door.
Manufacturer Cowles their # T3802. Ended up cutting about 1 " off each strip.
Clean off old HD adhesive with 3M Adhesive Remover works fast doesn't damage inner fairing, at least it didn't on mine.

#17 ·
Black door edge guard works great. A little thicker as was said.
Just did mine last night. Got a pack of two strips of black from Napa Autoparts. Balkamp # BK7301895 less than $5 out the door.
Manufacturer Cowles their # T3802. Ended up cutting about 1 " off each strip.
Clean off old HD adhesive with 3M Adhesive Remover works fast doesn't damage inner fairing, at least it didn't on mine.
Worth checking out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.