Road Glide banner

Woodside Harley

6K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  calgaryglide 
#1 ·
Have some of the real wood fitting just about complete. Needs a few more coats of clear marine epoxy. Here are some teasers for this winters project.

See less See more
#4 ·
I can't take full credit. I was able to get the pieces close but needed the help of a neighbor that is a hobby woodworker to fit the pieces and finish them.

I have great ideas, but mediocre talent.

Calgaryglide

#9 ·
Calgary what color bike are they going on?

Right now leaning toward the White Pearl Tricoat from GM/ Caddilac or maybe Lincoln. To my eye they are the same color, an ivory/cream color, not a true white.

If there is a difference I can't see it.

I have a set of white tins from a 2000 Road King police that i will put the saddle bag latches on to show some contrast.

Working on the "HarleyDavidson" badges to go no the side of the tank. This is proving difficult because of the compound curvature of the tank. I may have to buy a set of the tank badges off of one of the newer bikes to pattern the blank.

A few other things planned as well that I will show later in the winter.

Calgaryglide

#8 ·
Those look good ... can't wait to see them on the bike. I'm also interested in the bikes color.

#12 ·
Wenge? it is very dark to begin with, sort of like a very dark walnut. I originally wanted maple but it was too light in color and is hard like a rock.

My dad's neighbor had some leftover teak from a deck project. He gave me some to play with and I have made a set of teak saddlebag latch blanks but tooling it is tough as hell. The difficulty is in tooling out the relief on the back side of the latches where the hinge mechanism is covered. I managed to router out the finger groove for lifting the latches but that was difficult. My router skills are rudimentary at best and downright dangerous to myself usually.

I really need a CNC machine for wood. Not that I would be able to run it but I know that is how many intricate metal parts are produced.

Calgaryglide

#15 ·
Wenge? it is very dark to begin with, sort of like a very dark walnut. I originally wanted maple but it was too light in color and is hard like a rock.

My dad's neighbor had some leftover teak from a deck project. He gave me some to play with and I have made a set of teak saddlebag latch blanks but tooling it is tough as hell. The difficulty is in tooling out the relief on the back side of the latches where the hinge mechanism is covered. I managed to router out the finger groove for lifting the latches but that was difficult. My router skills are rudimentary at best and downright dangerous to myself usually.

I really need a CNC machine for wood. Not that I would be able to run it but I know that is how many intricate metal parts are produced.

Calgaryglide

Actually, Wenge is harder than all of the Oak varieties, according to the Janka scale which rates woods. If you look, you will find scales that differ in the woods shown, but in each case, you will see that wenge is harder. I play drums and have a maple kit but also have a black Cherry snare drum. You should see drums made out of wenge...amazing. Check out the Janka scale below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Sunc2lAqRi_strPxzYFP5A&bvm=bv.53537100,d.dmg

#16 ·
I never new there was a hardness scale for wood. I've heard of moh's hardness, Barcol Hardness, Rockewll, and the one for Rock but didn't have a clue they existed for wood.

I am going to experiment with some oak, walnut, maple and some cherry. I know these mostly from furniture. I have a set of templates for the pieces, the only one I need to still do is one for an Ultra tank dash.

The saddle bag latch covers, the ignition cover and brake reservoir cover are all from Precision Billet. I ordered them as chromed blanks.

I have an idea now on how to do the tank badges out of wood. I will be looking for some older style tank badges with HD logos from the 50's to replicate in blasted wood profile.

Calgaryglide

#17 ·
All the puzzle pieces amassed

Here is a photo of all the body parts collected/acquired for the woodside project.

saddlebag bottoms, 2008 crimson red sunglow
saddlebag lids, 2011 vivid black
front fender, 2007 mirage orange
fuel tank, 2009 vivid black
rear fender, 2005 vivid black (never seen the road)
chopped tour pack, 2000? dark blue and silver
front outer fairing, 2008 105th anniversary copper and black
side panels, 1 black 2005, 1 blue 2006

inner fairing will stay vivid black, black goes with everything

The new color will be gm (cadillac) pearl white tri-coat to contrast with the wood trim. Hopefully headed to the paint shop real soon.

Calgaryglide

#21 ·
Looking forward to seeing it all together and painted. Its also good to know I'm not the only one who gathered all the body parts from different bikes to have painted so I can keep the originals.........

Sent from my SPH-L710

#23 ·
I thought of veneer for the saddlebags, fairing and the tank but I wanted something a little more substantial. There will be less wood than originally planned but it will compliment the bike better I think.

Calgaryglide

#24 ·
Bending Wood

Some pictures of bending an oak name plate. Took 4 kettles of steam this morning to get the sucker to even soften enough to start. I think it will take 1-2 more steam sessions to get it where it does not have too much springback. This wood piece is a little thicker, about 3/16 of an inch. Gives me a little more meat for final sanding. Going to paint the inside of the lettering black and then clear the whole thing.

#26 ·
Thanks Faststan! That is so cool. Inspirational to keep going. I am blown away by the fork tubes pieces. That would take a wood lathe, not in my repetoire of tools. I wonder how the saddle bags open and seal for weather?

My woodside will definitely not be as elaborate as this one.

Calgaryglide

#29 ·
List of changes from stock:

Madstad windshield 13" dark
Daymaker headlights and upgraded mount and bezel
Coastal Moto Titan wheels, 21" front with chrome matching discs, 16" rear
Hogg Chopps front lowers
Arlen Ness Big Sucker II intake with Retro style cover
Dragos Dragula 2:1 chrome exhaust
Dragos 510 touring cam for 96" motors
Cyclesmith chrome billet 2 into 1 bag extensions
HD tri-light brake light and chrome fender extension
Klockwerks saddlebag filler strips
HD antenna relocation kit x 2, adapted for CB antenna on the ride side
HD detachable chopped tourpak, old style bracket
Progressive 412 or 430 rear suspension (can't remember which series I went with)
Custom upholstered HD hammock seat, rider backrest and chopped tourpak backrest
Precision Billet chrome blank insert saddlebag latches, ignition cover and front brake reservoir cover. All blanks filled with African Wenge wood with several coats of clear marine finish
HD 09+ tank dash with African Wenge wood trim same finish
Glide Pro Rear Bushing and front engine mount upgrade
HD chrome passenger board covers
HD chrome belt cover
Kurakyn "Longhorm" multi adjustable highway pegs
HD CB with overlay harness and J&M hidden antennas as well as cable antennas to the rear
HD 7 pin rider intercom/cb/stereo connection
J&M Rokker XT speakers
J&M 250 watt amp
Heritage style handlebars
Smoked lenses for signal lights front and rear
B.A.L. rear tailight/brakelight
Michelin Commander II tires front and rear
New Way shifter from J.D. Ross Inc
Metal Concepts chromed billet aluminum luggage rack

and probably more stuff that I am forgetting.

Calgaryglide

#30 ·
Looking great, Troy!

Would you mind posting a picture from directly behind? I'll be going with a Dragula sometime this fall/winter and I was planning to go with a ghost pipe on the left. For about the same price I could get the bag extensions instead. So I'm interested in how that 2-1 setup looks.

#32 ·
Here is the picture from the rear showing the two into 1. I need to get a new exhaust tip from Frank, the one on the bike is "blistering" the chrome.

Troy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.