DOOF - requesting info & prayers - Road Glide Forums
Healthy Living Encourage, support and participate with others looking to live a healthier lifestyle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
DOOFUS's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dulles, VA
Posts: 1,122
DOOF - requesting info & prayers

Crew -- please know up front I'm not whining or claiming "special treatment" needs. Last week my cardiac tests revealed Congestive Heart Failure -- my heart is working at less than 50% and I'm in AFIB all the time. This WED I go in for the shock treatment to get me out of AFIB. In about 3 weeks I'll then get the catheter/camera into my heart to find blockages & place stents. // I was always confident in my Navy & LE days -- never afraid - concerned but never afraid. Now I'm afraid so I' asking for 2 things:

1. Your prayers please
2. If anyone on here is also in combat with this piece of shit cowardly disease then reach out please.

Ya'll are the best and I'm committed to be here to keep you safe & bust your chops.

Love, DOOF

IBA# 22419
120,000k+ HD Miles
Retired Civil Servant, Navy Vet, MC Addict
DOOFUS is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM
T-Bone 6937's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 95
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'll be praying for sure. I don't have it, but work with people who do quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DOOFUS likes this.
T-Bone 6937 is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Life Member
08Zinc's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,080
I hate hearing this and know someone else that went through this. Will keep you in our prayers, brother Doof.
DOOFUS likes this.

Blessings, Zinc -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But when I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." Rich Mullins
08Zinc is offline  
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM
calgaryglide's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,765
Couple fixes for this;

"The Shock", business owner next to me had this done, same pre-existing conditions as you. Afib all the time. Doctors gave him the following info; 98% chance it will work, 1% chance will cause a stroke, 1% chance you will die.
Had procedure done, complete recovery, heart rate is better than it has ever been. The "Shock" reset his heart back to normal. Now has a clean bill of health and lost over 70lbs of fluid that was collecting in his legs because his afib heart function affected his kidneys ability to function properly. New man so to speak. Same age as me, 52.

Pacemaker and or Pacemaker Defibrillator. This is what happened to my father. Several heart attacks over the years of differing severity and 1 stroke. Lower left ventricle functions at 60% at best in the fittest of us, his was functioning at 10%, every time he bent over to pick something up, blood flow to the brain cutoff, passes out, wakes up on the ground doesn't know why. Cardiologist determines he is not a good candidate for the "Shock" and neither for "open heart" surgery. Several test's determine this. He does have a stent in his chest from several years ago to open up one blocked artery

Surgeons install a 3 wire pacemaker/defibrillator developed at the St Jude Children's hospital in Memphis Tennessee. Long operation to have it installed, 3rd wire into the lower left ventrical was a bitch to do, 2 male surgeons tried, 3rd femaie surgeon got it on the 3rd try. Results, life back to normal, square dances with his partner on Monday mornings, Legion dance on Tuesday evenings, Thursday evenings and Saturday evenings. walking about 1km a day every other day. He is 79 by the way. Has had two incidents where the defibrillator kicked in and restarted his heart, both occasions when he was out for a walk. Now he may not dance every dance like he used to 30-40 years ago but at 79 he keeps a pace that would definitely cripple a few younger people. This unit placed in his upper left chest is monitored by bluetooth connection in his home and sends a regular report thru his home wifi setup to the cardiology nurse practitioner who reports to the cardiologist. He is in for regular "tune up" of the device every 6 months or so. Last time they "added" a beat or two to his heart for when he is dancing. Really amazing technology that my family is so thankful for.

He is on some regular medication for his heart and his kidneys and he is a diabetic like me. All those conditions aside the "device" has helped him maintain a quality of life that is important to him.

Some benefits of either treatment that you should notice right away after completion, warmer hands and feet, better circulation, faster recovery from bruising or aches and pains, better circulation, some initial weight loss reduction of water retention in your legs from better kidney function.

No I'm not a doctor, don't have the brains to be one and i can't stand the sight of blood. I do attend most of his checkups with him as a second set of ears and have learned to ask questions of all his health care providers because they do process through their daily patient list fairly fast, remember in most cases it is not "new" to them and becomes routine for them in their industry. I find that they will explain stuff down into my "laymans" terms and when they do that it helps me to understand the process. Often I may ask a question that my Dad didn't think of at the time but is thankful after that i did.

So don't sweat it, listen to the medial team, research and make some informed choices, make a list of questions to ask about all the options offered.

In conclusion, good luck, keep your stick on the ice and yes a prayer or two shall be sent up to put in a good word or two for you.

DOOFUS and Jacksprat56 like this.
calgaryglide is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Life Member
ironmark's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,528
50% ain't nothing, hell I was down to 10% when they cracked my chest open and did a 5 way bypass. Don't worry about it they'll get you heart in rhythm and then go in and do a stent or 2 . Getting a stent is nothing you'll be in and out of the hospital in the same day and then you just take it easy for another day or 2 and then you're good as new. Your lucky they caught in time and they just need to put in a stent because open heart surgery sucks. Good luck and chin up it's not going to be that bad.
DOOFUS, RGKen and T-Bone 6937 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 FLTR candy red sunglo,with 2015 103 HO, V&H Dresser Duals with Monster Rounds, Power Vision tuner, Willy Shiny Wheels and Forks and a bunch of other stuff.
ironmark is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:46 PM
JacktheBagger's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bama
Posts: 9,582
not had it , but will definitely put you on our prayer list at church ..
DOOFUS and Jacksprat56 like this.

So Many Highways So Little Time
2011 Ultra
JacktheBagger is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Grey beard
BlazingSaddle's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 927
Praying for you Doof. May you have a a quick, painless, and successful procedure.
DOOFUS likes this.
BlazingSaddle is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Life Member
mastergunnera8's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,665
Prayers to you Sir...get well and back to the ride soon!!!

If you love your freedom, thank a Vet!!
2016 RGU Superior Blue...with a bunch of stuff..
mastergunnera8 is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Life Member
Mike U's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 6,363
Best of Luck Bro!
You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Mike U.

USMC 1975-1977
Semper Fi!
Nothing else matters!
Mike U is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Grey beard
Dragon Dude's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Perdido Beach, Al.
Posts: 830
Prayers sent, God bless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Road Glide vivid black, 14" JSR apes, Andrews 57h cams, S&S adjustable pushrods, Woods directional lifters
Dragon Dude is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update on DOOF 08Zinc Healthy Living 15 10-10-2017 11:39 PM
DOOF Heart Update DOOFUS General Off-Topic Discussions 16 07-29-2017 06:08 AM
Requesting Drago sound pipe clips and videos Taccone Intake and Exhaust 13 05-05-2015 01:56 AM
DOOF SHARK - likely going for sale DOOFUS *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 4 09-01-2013 06:27 PM
requesting a Sticky Eagle Forum Help Desk (Post Forum Issues Here) 1 06-08-2012 11:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome