BDL compensator - Road Glide Forums
Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,107
BDL compensator

After opening up the primary for an oil leak I noticed, like others recently that the SE comp I installed a few years ago to replace my stock comp needs replacing again. There's been talk about the Vulcanworks solid sprocket being the last one anyone needs to buy and those who are using it seem to like. I personally don't think that's the one for me because my motor is a stock 96" with 35k miles on it. There's also been talk about the BDL compensator. The BDL has my interest because it seems that it puts itself somewhere between the Vulcan and the updated SE comp from the MoCo sorta speak. Does anyone here use the BDL and have some good milage in it to give a decent review of it? I email their tech dept to get info. Here's what they replied in case anyone maybe wondering the same as I am. --------"Hey Rob, Our CS-34A is a steel compensator that has (2) Nylatron washers, There is (1) larger washer that is recessed into the sprocket face on the inner side, and a smaller washer recessed into the outer face of the sprocket, the sprocket and sprocket carrier body are both threaded, the sprocket can rotate either clockwise or counter clockwise 1-2 teeth, this absorbs the shock of the hard downshifting and starting kickbacks, the sprocket will stay up against the stator rotor until it needs to counter rotate to absorb any shock. The CS-34A consists of (1) sprocket, (1) sprocket carrier body, (1) outer flange, (1) large Nylatron washer and (1) small Nylatron washer. Thank You for your interest, Scott"------- if anyone has first hand experience with the BDL compensator please shed some light for us. Thanks

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Life Member
 
tdkkart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 3,026
Garage
There's also one supposedly coming from DarkHorse crank works that works much like the cush-drive in our rear pulleys, but it's been long delayed in arrival.
It's such a seemingly simply application and concept, I really don't know why the MoCo can't come up with a better solution??

2015 RGU CVO........under continuous change......
tdkkart is offline  
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
There's also one supposedly coming from DarkHorse crank works that works much like the cush-drive in our rear pulleys, but it's been long delayed in arrival.
It's such a seemingly simply application and concept, I really don't know why the MoCo can't come up with a better solution??
The cush drive thing may be something of interest. Is there any info on that or maybe a link possibly?

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
 
post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Life Member
 
mitchdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Theodore, AL
Posts: 1,687
I am running the vulcanworks and so are a few of my friends that ride 40+k per year. I don't see a downfall, if you are not downshifting hard and not constantly lugging or doing rabbit starts (preload in fun mode) the crank should be fine. I think the BDL is a great product but cannot attest to the durability since I have not run one. I would agree that the BDL would be a better option than the HD Comp. Good Luck

~Road Glide The only way to Fly ~
mitchdm is offline  
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Member
 
CNMTurner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Millersville, MD
Posts: 671
I'm running the BDL in my 113". So far, so good.. I've only been able to put about 2k miles on it this summer due to some health problems.. But I like the design and it seems to function properly. The installation instructions call for White Assembly Lube.. I couldn't find any locally and gave BDL a call.. Very good customer service and helpful over the phone.. They have changed there stance on the Assembly lube and recommended... Anti-Siege Lube.. (like you put on head bolts and muffler bolts.) The silver stuff that gets all over everything.. Coat it good,,, that stuff stays put..
All in all.. I'm happy so far.. We'll see how it hold up over the long haul. The way I look at it.. the worst case is that it freezes up.. Then it will be like running a solid sprocket.

2010 FLTRX - Stage 4 SE 113 - MVA Heads, 10.5:1, SE266E cams, 58mm TB, 5.3 gr/s injectors, Polished and plated motor and trans and a few chrome extras. Fullsac DX Header and Freedom Performance Classic 4" Slip-ons. Titan II 6.5 speakers with RF PBR300x2, Monroe Airshocks
1996 Tail dragin' Fatboy
CNMTurner is offline  
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Hangaround
 
thedrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North of Reno, NV
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNMTurner View Post
I'm running the BDL in my 113". So far, so good.. I've only been able to put about 2k miles on it this summer due to some health problems.. But I like the design and it seems to function properly. The installation instructions call for White Assembly Lube.. I couldn't find any locally and gave BDL a call.. Very good customer service and helpful over the phone.. They have changed there stance on the Assembly lube and recommended... Anti-Siege Lube.. (like you put on head bolts and muffler bolts.) The silver stuff that gets all over everything.. Coat it good,,, that stuff stays put..
All in all.. I'm happy so far.. We'll see how it hold up over the long haul. The way I look at it.. the worst case is that it freezes up.. Then it will be like running a solid sprocket.
What about noise did it quiet the primary clickyness?
gplatt58 likes this.

2012 Road Glide Ultra, 1978 Honda XL125, 1992 Suzuki DR350
thedrill is offline  
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,107
Heres another email i got from BDL regarding their compensator. Still trying to research alternative compensators other than HD equipment. Hopefull this will help others
" Rob, The CS-34A Compensator has been out since 2009, The only issues that I know about have been in the installation, There are (2) Nylatron washers that must be seated into their recess pockets, This is a very simple task. We have received less than 1% back* and from our inspection of these parts it has been limited to the Nylatron washers being pinched during installation and no application of proper Loctite applied to the mounting bolt. We do make running changes over time to adapt to different stator rotors as H-D makes their changes. I do recommend that if you decide to go with our CS-34A that you also change the H-D auto primary chain tensioner. I just do not like the way that it works with any compensator. I hope this helps you out. Thank You, Scott"

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Life Member
 
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
Heres another email i got from BDL regarding their compensator. Still trying to research alternative compensators other than HD equipment. Hopefull this will help others
" Rob, The CS-34A Compensator has been out since 2009, The only issues that I know about have been in the installation, There are (2) Nylatron washers that must be seated into their recess pockets, This is a very simple task. We have received less than 1% back* and from our inspection of these parts it has been limited to the Nylatron washers being pinched during installation and no application of proper Loctite applied to the mounting bolt. We do make running changes over time to adapt to different stator rotors as H-D makes their changes. I do recommend that if you decide to go with our CS-34A that you also change the H-D auto primary chain tensioner. I just do not like the way that it works with any compensator. I hope this helps you out. Thank You, Scott"
Hayden Tensioner?

They should send one to Tracy for the Shark Week IV Raffle. Might get a lot of tickets for that one. Can you send your contacts info to Tracy?
OldNerdGuy is offline  
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
Hayden Tensioner?

They should send one to Tracy for the Shark Week IV Raffle. Might get a lot of tickets for that one. Can you send your contacts info to Tracy?
The guys name is Scott who I've been talking to. I'm simply emailing BDL's tech support with my questions

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair

Last edited by rlaf75; 07-29-2014 at 11:06 AM.
rlaf75 is offline  
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Life Member
 
tdkkart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 3,026
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
Hayden Tensioner?

They should send one to Tracy for the Shark Week IV Raffle. Might get a lot of tickets for that one. Can you send your contacts info to Tracy?

Pretty sure Hayden has already sent Tracy a tensioner for the auction, unless she already culled out the parts she's keeping??
I won't be putting any tickets in, cuz I've already got one. Been using them for my last 3 bikes and have installed a couple in friends bikes.

2015 RGU CVO........under continuous change......
tdkkart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BDL compensator Jlegters 86 Engine Related 9 07-29-2018 08:38 PM
New Compensator or Compensator eliminator mrmoto95 Engine Related 11 03-28-2018 07:10 PM
BDL enclosed primary installation issue hawk06Glide Engine Related 7 04-10-2017 12:13 PM
BDL Compensator Sprocket Kit For Harley Big Twin 2006-2011 SMOKENJOE Parts for Sale 2 09-22-2015 11:41 AM
BDL Belt Drive SlowGuy Engine Related 8 01-18-2014 11:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome