scorpion clutch issue - Road Glide Forums
Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
getrdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plant City/Florida USA!
Posts: 207
scorpion clutch issue

My 2012 RGU was slipping in 5th gear. So i had my local bike shop install the barnett scorpion clutch with medium springs. Solved the slipping in 5th but then started to squawk/slip in first gear. Went with heavy duty springs which solved the 1st gear issue but now its slipping in 5th gear again. Its been back to the shop 4 times for the issue. Either its slipping in 5th or 1st. Back and forth with this issue. Any ideas??

Life is good but God is Great!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getrdone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
I remember reading people having issues and the removed the 2 dampening springs and it fixed their problems. Have you called Barnett? Sounds like something isn't installed correctly. My scorpion makes the noise when taking off. If your slipping with the hd spring in you have a problem.
pat123 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,390
What motor in your RGU?

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

'09 SERG 117/DD7 "THE SHORT BUS"
HeatWave is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
getrdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plant City/Florida USA!
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
What motor in your RGU?
103" Heads have been ported/polished, 574 Reaper cam, push rods, Heavy breather, Zippers autotune.

Life is good but God is Great!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getrdone is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Grey beard
 
FrankieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 809
To me it sounds like the adjustment is off on the clutch, especially after you put the heavy springs in it. The adjuster screw could be seated to deep and the plates aren't making full contact.

06 RK
11 RGU
FrankieB is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
getrdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plant City/Florida USA!
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieB View Post
To me it sounds like the adjustment is off on the clutch, especially after you put the heavy springs in it. The adjuster screw could be seated to deep and the plates aren't making full contact.
Thanks! You may be right,

Life is good but God is Great!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getrdone is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone View Post
My 2012 RGU was slipping in 5th gear. So i had my local bike shop install the barnett scorpion clutch with medium springs. Solved the slipping in 5th but then started to squawk/slip in first gear. Went with heavy duty springs which solved the 1st gear issue but now its slipping in 5th gear again. Its been back to the shop 4 times for the issue. Either its slipping in 5th or 1st. Back and forth with this issue. Any ideas??
I've seen this issue with the only 2 Scorpions that I know directly of, no slip (124s) but the 1st gear squawk was terrible; both on the CVO Hydraulic Clutch, I know you have a cable which gives more latitude for adjustment. Both guys went round and round with the Indys involved, with different primary fluids, installation procedures, etc...(not the Indy's fault IMO, Barnett's supplied instructions were lacking). After seeing what these guys went through, IMO the best way to fix (if, after making sure the clutch being properly adjusted doesn't cure ~ I reread and see it's an either / or issue) get your Indy, yourself and Barnett on the phone at the same time, tell them what bike you have, what fluid, the install procedure used and see what Barnett has to say.

After Barnett sent these guys new components, and following Barnett's over the phone installation procedures to a "T", the squawk was reduced significantly but still squawks from time to time...

Or if Barnett can't fix, just installing the SE Heavy Duty Spring ($35.) to your stock clutch (might have to replace the OE plates if they are fried?) is plenty for your motor...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

'09 SERG 117/DD7 "THE SHORT BUS"
HeatWave is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Life Member
 
hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,582
I've been thinking of installing that clutch next winter.

What primary fluid are you using?

2011 RGU
hook is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
getrdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plant City/Florida USA!
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
I've seen this issue with the only 2 Scorpions that I know directly of, no slip (124s) but the 1st gear squawk was terrible; both on the CVO Hydraulic Clutch, I know you have a cable which gives more latitude for adjustment. Both guys went round and round with the Indys involved, with different primary fluids, installation procedures, etc...(not the Indy's fault IMO, Barnett's supplied instructions were lacking). After seeing what these guys went through, IMO the best way to fix (if, after making sure the clutch being properly adjusted doesn't cure ~ I reread and see it's an either / or issue) get your Indy, yourself and Barnett on the phone at the same time, tell them what bike you have, what fluid, the install procedure used and see what Barnett has to say.

After Barnett sent these guys new components, and following Barnett's over the phone installation procedures to a "T", the squawk was reduced significantly but still squawks from time to time...

Or if Barnett can't fix, just installing the SE Heavy Duty Spring ($35.) to your stock clutch (might have to replace the OE plates if they are fried?) is plenty for your motor...
Thanks bro! They have had barnett on the phone a couple of times, Tried different fluids.. ATF and such. Seems like were chasing it back and forth. Either slips in 5th or squawks in 1st. FRUSTRATING!

Life is good but God is Great!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getrdone is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone View Post
Thanks bro! They have had barnett on the phone a couple of times, Tried different fluids.. ATF and such. Seems like were chasing it back and forth. Either slips in 5th or squawks in 1st. FRUSTRATING!
'Bet your Indy is sharing in the Frustration too Spring is here and he's probably getting busy... and you need to ride...

Unless Barnett / your Indy can come up with a timely solution, reinstalling the OE Clutch (I'd put in new OE plates) and the SE Heavy Duty Spring, might be the way to go???

Post here and let us know what you find??

Good luck!!

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

'09 SERG 117/DD7 "THE SHORT BUS"
HeatWave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barnett Scorpion Clutch - Install Question gbourdon Engine Related 0 05-30-2014 10:24 AM
Scorpion Helmet? HarleyArcher Helmets 7 07-08-2012 05:21 AM
Barnett Scorpion Clutch Ruggerbk Tech Area 0 02-24-2012 06:49 PM
scorpion helmets ROBNCIN Helmets 11 11-17-2011 01:42 PM
2 Scorpion EXO 200 3/4 helmets ChromeYellow67 Classifieds Archive (3 months old+) 6 11-17-2011 03:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome