OK so a while back we determined that a lot of us had worn motor mounts. And we also realized that it was MoCo parts and aftermarket equivalent, or Glide Pro. And I ordered a set of GP's, then promptly took a time out with a knee issue.
Today I finally got around to doing the motor mounts. It's not a real easy job, not at all like doing them on an FXR.
Having suspected that the problem was mostly with the rears, I did them first. I read the directions about pulling the rear exaust and wheel from the scooter and a bunch of other stuff.
Then I just did it my way.
Jacked it up on my spanking new lift and started pulling it down. Bags and side covers off. I took the rear can hangers loose, pulled the caliper and set it on the bag support. Unclipped the brake line and AL sensor wire from the swing arm and pull the right pivot bolt first. Then unplugged the AL sensor wire and unclipped it from the AL unit. On reassembly, I did have to slip the right can off, it was hitting the axle and preventing the swing arm from lining up on the trans.
Someone had noticed that there was a difference in the pivot bolts the MoCo has used Mine has a hex head spacer and a bolt on each side. No idea as to what the hex head spacer is for, it will not hold the axle to remove the nut.
Then I pulled the left passenger foot peg and motor mount bracket from the frame. I had one jack holding the scooter and another jack to supporting the trans. I really needed them to get it all lined back up. I backed the axle adjuster off and removed the belt. Then pulled the pivot axle out the left side.
Then I moved the swing arm and wheel asm to the rear.
With the swing arm to the rear, I was able to reach in and remove the right mount from the cup in the frame. Just reached in over the front of the swing arm. Slipped the new one in the same way.
Then I push the swing arm back into place and slipped the new GP pivot axle in from the left side. I might be leaving out a bunch of jack adjusting and wheel positioning, hammer swinging and foul language. Seriously to get the trans boss aligned with the swing arm bearings and spacers and right mount is harder than it sounds. And the axle being slathered in anti-seize doesn't help. The spacers being a loose fit was part of the issue. And the right can touching the end of the axle was another. But in the end, and with no loss of blood, it went back in. The axle is a little longer than OEM, and it interferes with the plastic end caps a little. Might not be enough to matter, they are pretty hard to pop off. But I think I'll tape em for the first road test.
At this point I installed the left mount and support bracket and torqued it all down. Then I had a look at the front mount. More or less, right back where it belonged.
The GP rear mounts are made different from the MoCo mounts, and should at first glance be less susceptible to rearward deflection.
End part one