loosing power - Road Glide Forums
Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
gsbuick65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southaven Ms.
Posts: 233
loosing power

My 2011 103 doesn't have the power it should. Most noticeable at about 80. When I get on it it just bogs. Mileage has Dropped about 5 mpg. I've changed plugs and fuel filter. Fuel pump has correct pressure but he didnt check it at 80 cause I have a car tire.
gsbuick65 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Grey beard
 
BlazingSaddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 927
Garage
Any changes to the bike since it developed the problem? Piggyback or aftermarket tuner on it? Coil? Spark plug wires? Bad ground? Air, fuel or spark. Itís either choking or drowning. If youríre losing gas mileage, sounds like running to rich. ECM? Under load only or only at certain RPMs? Checked to see if youíre throwing any codes? How many miles on the clock? Not one of those things you can immediately put a finger on, but more a process of elimination.
BlazingSaddle is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
gsbuick65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southaven Ms.
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle View Post
Any changes to the bike since it developed the problem? Piggyback or aftermarket tuner on it? Coil? Spark plug wires? Bad ground? Air, fuel or spark. Itís either choking or drowning. If youríre losing gas mileage, sounds like running to rich. ECM? Under load only or only at certain RPMs? Checked to see if youíre throwing any codes? How many miles on the clock? Not one of those things you can immediately put a finger on, but more a process of elimination.
nope, put tuner on at 3500 it has 57000 now, well thats when i notice it under load, but i can tell in any gear just worse in 6th guess because of gear ratio. it started doing it about 45000.

Mike Southaven Ms. 2011 RGU merlot, Rinehart true duals, s&s 570 cams, Power Vision stage 1 a/c, Madstad shield, J&M 7 1/4's, Alpine KTP445U amp, CVO lowers.
gsbuick65 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 453
May be it is the case to run a compression check to verify cylinders performances, it is not invasive and it is a good engine health marker.
RGKen likes this.
Beaver is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: St. Paul, Mn.
Posts: 1,395
Garage
The dark side could effect mileage. Car tire has a bigger footprint causing more resistance but it shouldn't effect performance. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

" 4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul"

2015 Road Glide Special "Amber Whiskey"
Buzzy is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,764
Garage
I would run a leakage test, see what kind of shape the top end is in. Use a bore scope to read the piston tops.

Those early 103 ran hot, 11's were really bad. So the rings tend to go away early and the bores are seldom round at tear down.

If it still has a cat on it, it could be stopped up, they don't do well when the rings pass oil. A vacuum gauge will tell the tail on that. If the vacuum falls off with the power, suspect a clogged cat.

Other than that, I would suspect something in the tune, or one of the sensors. Data stored in memory can get buggy. And sensors wear out. You can sit down and test the sensors with a breakout devise, like a twin scan, and with some tuners you can record and read the data to see what was going on when it was acting pissy.
RGKen and eddienelson like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
gsbuick65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southaven Ms.
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
I would run a leakage test, see what kind of shape the top end is in. Use a bore scope to read the piston tops.

Those early 103 ran hot, 11's were really bad. So the rings tend to go away early and the bores are seldom round at tear down.

If it still has a cat on it, it could be stopped up, they don't do well when the rings pass oil. A vacuum gauge will tell the tail on that. If the vacuum falls off with the power, suspect a clogged cat.

Other than that, I would suspect something in the tune, or one of the sensors. Data stored in memory can get buggy. And sensors wear out. You can sit down and test the sensors with a breakout devise, like a twin scan, and with some tuners you can record and read the data to see what was going on when it was acting pissy.
no cat has true duals. I thought maybe it was the tune so I loaded stock tune and took tuner off.
Oh and it don't do it all the time, and I don't notice it unless I accelerate fast,and the Exhaust sounds different

Last edited by gsbuick65; 04-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
gsbuick65 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: St. Paul, Mn.
Posts: 1,395
Garage
Check the throttle body/injector body for a broken butterfly pivot rod.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

" 4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul"

2015 Road Glide Special "Amber Whiskey"
Buzzy is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
gsbuick65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southaven Ms.
Posts: 233
Would injectors cause this?
gsbuick65 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
gsbuick65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southaven Ms.
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Check the throttle body/injector body for a broken butterfly pivot rod.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wouldn't that do it all the time?
gsbuick65 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$799 Power Package Street Outlaw mufflers, Power Vision, FM Stage 1 AC fuelmoto Fuel Moto 7 06-16-2018 02:37 PM
LED's, power commander, power vision, and other items for touring models. Gasitman Parts for Sale 5 08-23-2014 12:29 AM
Iphone and loosing volume rob883 Audio 2 02-05-2014 01:13 PM
Power Command Power Vision problem help! BigDave55 ECM/Fuel Management systems 11 08-06-2011 07:21 AM
Power Commander V and Big Sucker Air Cleaner The Infamous Sharknose Equipment-RG 0 09-18-2009 10:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome