Road Glide banner

Painted inner fairing

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Kevin0032 
#1 ·
I've decided to have my inner fairing painted to match. However, I am not doing the Harley painted inner because of the cost and didn't need an extra inner fairing laying around, so I'm just having mine painted from the dealer paint company. They send it out to a painter they work with. Charge $400 vs. $1000+ for the HD. That doesn't include labor to remove and re-install. Any cons going with a painter vs. HD inner fairing? I would think a painter will do just as good of a job, or the HD dealer wouldn't offer it. Hope it looks as good,

#2 ·
The inner fairing removal/installation is a easy DYI so give it a try.
Check out http://www.fatbaggers.com for a painted fairing.
Fat Baggers sells painted inner fairings for $500 with a core exchange. You order the inner painted in your color than when you get the inner you swap out the inner and send your inner back to them. The big advantage is you get a factory paint job with no flaws and you only have around 5 to 6 hours of down time.

#3 ·
I would save the money vs buying a painter inner from HD. I had mine done at an independent painter. They charged me $300 and did the removal and install. They did have to paint it twice. Claimed blistering on the 1st try lol. Wanting to know what foreign material was on it. So they ended up having it a few extra days. I really like the suggestion from ironmark and would highly consider that option. I had the outer off just before painting the inner. I think even I can have success removing the inner. Good luck with your decision and you'll love the new look.

#5 ·
I don't think the shipping cost would be that much!
Fat Baggers will figure the return shipping in the cost and provide the return shipping label and since companies pay a lot less in shipping then a individual the cost is not too bad.
When you do buy a product you will either have to pay sales tax or shipping and in most cases the cost between the two would be pretty close.
Having the fairing done by a local painter you would only have to pay sales tax on the product and not the labor in most cases.
The biggest problem with having a local painter doing the job is turn around time along with the quality of the paint job. If you are not riding because you are waiting for spring then the turnaround time is not an issue.

#7 · (Edited)
If any of you are in Florida I'm sure Paul is in Daytona, he does an AMAZING job. He did mine, and it was more expensive because of shipping. My Midnight Pearl inner looks tremendous and no signs of quality problems whatsoever.

https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings.

Shipping cost can eat you alive on Road Glide fairings.

#8 · (Edited)
+1 on Paul ^^^^

If you plan to come down for Bikeweek he will hook you up. Just message him on FB and work out the details. I also know that a lot of guys in different parts of the country use him because they still saved money having him ship the inner. It's another option to look into and he takes your old fairing off your hands. :D

#10 ·
+1 om Paul ^^^^

If you plan to come down for Bikeweek he will hook you up. Just message him on FB and work out the details. I also know that a lot of guys in different parts of the country use him because they still saved money having him ship the inner. It's another option to look into and he takes your old fairing off your hands. :D
A friend an I installed mine locally, again Paul's work was *killer* on my Midnight Pearl, however, I'm told that watching him replace these is amazing, I guess he can knock out a bat wing in 45 minutes, probably a bit more on a fugly.

#9 ·
Since your bike is black, the local painter should do just fine with your inner. If you had any of the pearls or candy paints you'd want to see evidence of his previous work with those paints to check color match. Make sure you've never sprayed the inner with any cleaner/shine agent that had silcone in it. It's nearly impossible to get all the silicone out and your new paint job will likely not hold up well. I'm not a painter, just collective knowledge learned on this site over the years.

#11 ·
A lot of Harley dealers are working with local auto body shops to have their local riders inner fairings painted. Check with your local HD service department for recommendations on what local body shops are painting these. Take your own inner fairing, speedo/tack bezel, accessory doors & instrument housings in to them to paint for you. You can get your paint codes from several places on the Internet to give your painter. Color match your paint or just plain black and many will paint flat or gloss for you. You can save a ton of $$ this way and get just as good a paint as the new parts from Harley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.