Road Glide banner

Having a weird issue with radio/air ride/controls ???

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GrafixxMan 
#1 ·
Ok, so the bike just got finished and I went for the first ride (after completing it this go-round) yesterday and have some weird issue now.

We put an all new sound system in it:

Alpine 149bt
Hertz 6.5's up front
Biketronics 6x9's in back
Sounstream 520 amp
Biketronics handle bar controls

The bike has always had air ride front and rear and has always utilized the same (CVO lock) switches to make it work.

We also added:

Misfit Da Bomb air tank
Big compressor for the tank (instead of the two small compressors it originally had)

Here is the issue....When I'm riding down the road listening to some tunes, if I hit either of the air ride switches (up or down), the radio cuts off while I hit the switches and stays off for a couple of seconds after I let off, then comes right back on where it left off.

With the stock radio and these same switches, nothing weird ever happened. Anyone have this happen and/or have any good ideas about where to go from here?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hook up a digital voltmeter to your battery, watch the voltmeter and see if it takes a dip when you hit the air ride switches. Some relay and solenoid coils can draw a butt load of current, which will drop the voltage in the entire electrical system momentarily when you actuate them.
Car stereos can be sensitive to voltage drops.
Years ago had a buddy who's radio lost all of it's presets every time he powered up the amp. The main power to the amp was hooked to the same wires as the full time 12v "keep alive" circuit to his head unit. When the amp powered up it dropped the memory voltage to the head unit and lost all the presets.

#3 ·
I could understand the compressor pulling a lot of power when you inflate the system, but there should be very little power consumption when dumping air. Are you using a relay in this equation and does it pull power directly from the battery or is it spliced into another power source in the fairing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.