Just what's Inside those Rinehart Cans - Road Glide Forums
Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tandemgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Near Atlanta, GA
Posts: 41
Garage
Just what's Inside those Rinehart Cans

I installed a set of Rinehart slip-ons before we headed to Daytona back in October and put about 1,100 miles on the bike since then, having been slidelined after getting rear-ended riding my Honda F6B home from work in November.

Finally got around to pulling the end caps / baffles out just "to see what's in the can." Unlike the Screaming Eagle cans that came on my CVO's there was no sound insulation, just the same coating of rust. I was surprised at how little flow is going through the left-hand pipe as evidenced by the lack of any rust on the baffle.




Last edited by tandemgeek; 12-25-2017 at 07:18 PM.
tandemgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:59 AM
Member
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandemgeek View Post
I installed a set of Rinehart slip-ons before we headed to Daytona back in October and put about 1,100 miles on the bike since then, having been slidelined after getting rear-ended riding my Honda F6B home from work in November.

Finally got around to pulling the end caps / baffles out just "to see what's in the can." Unlike the Screaming Eagle cans that came on my CVO's there was no sound insulation, just the same coating of rust. I was surprised at how little flow is going through the left-hand pipe as evidenced by the lack of any rust on the baffle.



They don't install Screaming Eagle Street Cannons on CVOs. CVO mufflers are different than Street Cannon mufflers.
georgec is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Prospect
 
Yellow09SERG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 213
Did you remove the wrapping from the baffle or was it not there?
Yellow09SERG is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Hangaround
 
Bobinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 100
Is that with stock header and cat?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobinator is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tandemgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Near Atlanta, GA
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow09SERG View Post
Did you remove the wrapping from the baffle or was it not there?
No, there's no other sound attenuating material in the Rineharts: just the empty can with a 2.25" baffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
Is that with stock header and cat?
Yes, still sporting the OEM head pipe with cat.
tandemgeek is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Hangaround
 
Bobinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 100
Wow, pulled mine out, same thing. For shits and giggles, I will swap sides next year, maybe.

I too have stock headers but minus the cat. Obviously the crossover does not have equal pressure, flow is a lot greater on right. So, do you try to reduce restriction on left side or does it not really matter that much to performance at that point?

Here in Northern NJ its been real cold, interesting starting bike, easy to see the exhaust.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Bobinator


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobinator is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Grey beard
 
Little Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: oHio!
Posts: 1,268
Garage
looks like somebody else has been in there. i'd recognize that permatex ultra copper sealant anywhere. great for sealing around hi temp locations.

do you do a lot of short range driving?
wonder why it would rust inside like that if you got them hot enough.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

'18 FLTRX '04 BAR HOPPER '94 FLSTC THE BEST BIKE ...is the one you're on!!!
Little Wing is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tandemgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Near Atlanta, GA
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
looks like somebody else has been in there. i'd recognize that permatex ultra copper sealant anywhere. great for sealing around hi temp locations.

do you do a lot of short range driving?
wonder why it would rust inside like that if you got them hot enough.
Nobody else had been in there; that's the red factory sealant and it was a PIA to break the left end cap / baffle free using a strap wrench.

Very little short range riding. These cans were installed new out of the box on 14 October with 800 miles on the bike. On Oct 19, we rode the bike 450 miles to Daytona, put another 300 miles on in Daytona and then rode 450 miles back home. We logged another 200 miles on a pair of 100 mile mountain loop rides before I was rear-ended riding my Honda Gold Wing F6B on 21 November, putting me off all bikes through early January. Photos were taken in mid-December.

Rust happens to bare, untreated metal... draw your own conclusions.
tandemgeek is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
tandemgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Near Atlanta, GA
Posts: 41
Garage
Did a little experiment this morning that has helped me understand why the left pipe looks so different from the right pipe; one pipe blows and the other sucks. I sort of knew this based on other "dual exhaust" systems I've had on other bikes, but it was interesting to see the visual.

https://youtu.be/T4IJHUhFv4c

A couple other vids and comments: https://ridingtwoup.wordpress.com/20...e-other-sucks/
Lord Vader likes this.
tandemgeek is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Lord Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 382
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandemgeek View Post
Did a little experiment this morning that has helped me understand why the left pipe looks so different from the right pipe; one pipe blows and the other sucks. I sort of knew this based on other "dual exhaust" systems I've had on other bikes, but it was interesting to see the visual.

https://youtu.be/T4IJHUhFv4c

A couple other vids and comments: https://ridingtwoup.wordpress.com/20...e-other-sucks/
I've noticed a lot of gases coming out of the right side pipe and very little out the left and it was making me worry something was wrong. I'm glad you posted this. I have a Khromewerks 2-1-2 full exhaust and it still does this. I'm going to check for a vacuum or if it's neutral now on the left side next time I start it up. I'm guessing there's some flow because I did see some gases puffing out the left side. The exhaust does sound much better off idle at higher revs. I have the SE Torque cam installed.
Lord Vader is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fork cans tonka9532 Suspensions 5 07-06-2012 08:01 AM
4" CVO Cans bsauer Intake and Exhaust 2 02-29-2012 12:39 AM
Boom Cans info needed BigLew Intake and Exhaust 2 10-13-2011 06:42 PM
Front Sliders and cans off an '09 johnltex Classifieds Archive (3 months old+) 0 02-25-2011 11:57 AM
bub boom cans digga25 Intake and Exhaust 2 02-02-2011 08:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome