I have a 17RGS and am installing Fuel Moto's stainless ceramic head pipe and did not know until now that it has a Tunable Collector Insert within it - just to the rear of the crossover pipe. It removes easily - easier now than after I install the mufflers - but was wondering if anyone here has any info about it. It looks like it restricts flow (smaller diameter pipe within a pipe) and/or redirects more flow to the left side muffler. Does anyone know what it does? Louder without it? TIA.
Guess I'll leave it there for now - if Fuel Moto thinks it is a good idea I'll give it a try, really want to finish this project.
So the install is pretty straight forward - I'm no professional wrench and found this to be easy enough, sort of like the 14" Factory 47 ape hanger install.
Started by removing both mufflers. Pull the left side cover and unplug both O2 sensors. Had to cut 3 zip ties to free them up then one more specialty type zip tie in the front.
Removed driver footboard then all 3 heat shields.
Remove the crossover pipe - It's clamped to the head pipe and has 1 bracket on the rear of the lower frame. Give it about a 45 degree turn/twist and then worked the pipe back and forth a little and it came off without issue. No gasket on the crossover - it is clamped on just like the mufflers.
Unbolted front and rear exhaust flanges **NOTE - there is a sticky on here about checking these bolts and for good reason - 3 out of the 4 on my scoot were not very tight. Not about to fall off but they took very little effort to back them off**.
Last item is the P style mounting bracket on the lower engine case between the cam closet and transmission. Boom - off comes the stock header.
You will reuse all the hardware from the old header (and mufflers). Getting the retaining clips off was a little tricky and putting them on the new header seem to require a small blood donation - again, not a professional & I guess I don't have the right tool for that.
Need to remove the old exhaust port gaskets - the Fuel Moto header comes with new ones and they are flat instead of the concave style originals.
*At this point you normally would re install the O2 sensors but I am also putting on Fuel Moto's intake and will be tuning everything with a Power Commander V and Dyno Jet (PCV) calls for just closing the O2 bungs. The Fuel Moto head pipe came with the parts needed to do that (nice). You could also put the heat shields on at this point but I chose to wait until the end.
The new header didn't have an issue getting past any fins - the brake pedal does limit its movement a little but it also is what will hold it in place when you get tired of moving it around trying to get it to fit just right. This is the most trying part of the install and will take some patience. I believe the front flange must be put in place before the rear. It was difficult to get that flange to line up with both studs - it took me several attempts and walking away from it for a minute before it finally fell into place. Get the nuts started (just a couple threads on) then put the rear in on those studs. That took pulling a little on the head pipe to get around one of the studs but nothing major. Start the nuts on those studs - leave loose.
Install the P-style bracket on the lower engine case - a little tricky and the more movement the head pipe has the easier this will go. Leave it loosely attached. This bracket seems to take a lot of the guesswork out of lining everything up later - I like it.
Re install the crossover in the reverse process of taking it off. Start it on the header at about a 45 degree angle and twist it onto the header. It also took a little back and forth wiggling but went on pretty easily. Attach the bracket that bolts onto the rear frame.
Tighten the exhaust flange bolts - 99 inch pounds. Re check this after/before each ride for awhile. Check to make sure you aren't pinching any wires or rubbing against anything as there is still some movement at this step. I went back and forth, tightened the front a little then the rears, etc.
Tighten the P-style clamp - this holds the head pipe solidly in place.
I put the right side muffler on then the left. The left was a little difficult because I had not yet tightened the crossover pipe - wanted that loose to ensure proper alignment of the muffler. Once I had the muffler bolted at the rear bag support I tightened up everything else - keeping the right sight line on the muffler. Mufflers = FM Jackpot High Rollers. I put them on for a ride before this starting this mod - love that throaty sound.
Re install the heat shields - a little pia but not bad, get all of them on loosely then align and tighten. Good time to switch to stainless hose clamps instead of those stock el-cheapo's.
Reinstall the drivers floor board - exhaust is done.
Unfortunately my Power Commander didn't come with a pre loaded map (bought from FM) and you can't reach anybody on the weekend (nothing on their website using FM setups and I'm not comfortable with a guess). Will have to finish this during the week but, I did pick a good weekend to be down, it's been a very wet couple of days.
Oh yeah, did all of this with my bike on the new J&S jack that took 2 months to arrive. The jack appears to be everything its reputation says it is.