Would like to ask for any advise some experienced hot weather riders could offer me on the following.
I'm originally from Michigan so if any of this seems like a dumb question please forgive!
Moved to Phoenix AZ area 4 weeks now. Weather has been 105+ since my arrival.
So In Michigan, I rarely ever experienced the engine control system shut down the rear cylinder due to heat, now in AZ it's an every stop light occurrence, so has me wondering if there is more heat related items I should be concerned with.
In AZ Heat...
1. Do you keep the Engine Control function enabled all the time?
2. Should I consider different weight oil? I currently use AMSOil Full Syn VTwin oil (Don't recall the Viscosity) but same as HD stock.
3. Should I consider oil/filter changes more frequent? Currently change at 6k or what was one Michigan summer season for me.
4. Rider Gear, I see people bundled up like riding a snowmobile! Is more really less? Sometimes my hands feel like I'm sticking them in an oven at 350 degrees while riding mid day!
5. Saddlebag, On way hoe from work (8 mile drive) I put my laptop in my saddlebag (Vivid Black) and by the time I'm home it's as hot as fire! Not even turned on! Any Thoughts?
6. Anything else I should be thinking about?
Thanks in advance!
Yea it's hot in Phoenix. I do not run the EITMS in the summer. I tried it but it didn't seem to make a difference. However, when Trump was here I had to take surface streets home and I thought my legs were well done after sitting on the bike in stop and go traffic for 2 hours. It might have done some good for that ride.
As far as Oil, I think if you follow the HD guidelines of every 5000 miles you should be good. I have never had anyone or a dealer tell me differently. You can ride all year round here so you might want to change at 5K instead of 6K. No differences here on the the weight.
As far as riding gear, I have a a HD Circular pad on my seat. https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...yABEgJSM_D_BwE
It helps keep my butt cool since its not right on the leather seat. I also have an HD jacket for summer riding that is made with a mesh like material that gives a cooling effect when you sweat and the air flows through it. You can also get a cool vest. I also wear gloves when riding. I usually wear a skid lid in the summer and a full face helmet in the winter.
As far as your laptop in the saddle bag and heat, I don't know if those are hotter due to the engine heat and the air flowing around it. I would probably put it in a backpack unless you have some type of padding in the bag. If it's not on, you should be fine if you leave it in the saddlebag.
Just watch out for the crazy drivers here. The highways are like speedways and cars are always flying in and out of traffic. Watch out for those who change lanes and accelerate as fast as they can to the next car.
You didn't say what part of the valley you live in but the Scottsdale HD dealer is the largest in the country. It's a pretty big place and all the profit from the dealership goes to Phoenix Children's Hospital and other charities.
Ride safe and be cool out there. You'll love the weather here, we just have to get through about 4 months of heat in the summer.