Initial Sputtering on Start Up After Auto Tuning w PV - Road Glide Forums
ECM/Fuel Management systems ECM/Fuel Management systems For Road Glides

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
JDisMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 183
Garage
Initial Sputtering on Start Up After Auto Tuning w PV

So I've been running a map that I got from Fuel Moto and I finally got around to auto tuning and before I even started riding, when I started the bike (I put the PV in auto tune before starting the bike), here was some kind of flashing over the auto tune cells saying "warm up" or something. I noticed right away that if I gave it some throttle, it would sputter and want to die. After like a minute, it was fine...

Rode 10-15 minutes and installed the auto tune corrections, then rode another 10-20 minutes and installed that one.

My bike feels like it is running a lot smoother and has better response. It felt like it was still running pretty hot but it definitely was running better.

So the next day, I unplug my PV and it still does this sputtering for like the first minute after initial start up. It never did that before my auto tuning began.

I'm wondering if I should re load the original tune and not start the tuning process until the bike is running already.

It never sputtered before and my buddy said he saw smoke coming out of the pipes at start up. So I'm thinking it's running rich at start up for some reason instead of lean.

Anyone had this issue with the auto tune basic?

Appreciate any insight here. I have a long trip coming up and don't want to screw anything up.

P.S. Forgot to add my set up: Drago's H Pipe w Dragula's, FM AC and PV.

--2019 RGS--
--2012 Road Glide Custom--Gone But Not Forotten

Last edited by JDisMe; 06-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.
JDisMe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Shelbyville il
Posts: 791
I have not used auto tune basic. Like you I am running a fuel moto map and the bike runs great. Still runs hot though. I was told the only way to cool them down is change the cams. Something about the stock cams valves opening and closing makes it run hot. My thought is if you run auto with stock O2 sensors your running the afr at 14.7 on auto tune. That's not gonna make it run cooler. Maybe I am wrong. Hopefully someone smarter than me will reply.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Road Glide Ultra Superior Blue
freedom1974 is online now  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Conneaut, OH
Posts: 209
Are you sure it is not still in auto tune?
conn-e-rot is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 845
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn-e-rot View Post
Are you sure it is not still in auto tune?
That is what it sounds like to me too. I don't have a PV, but I do use an FP3 and when it is in auto-tune mode it runs like like midget on marbles. Unless you close the auto-tune session and apply the tune, it will perpetually stay in that mode forever. Once again, I am just relating my experience with my tuner, so the PV might work differently.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 FLTRXS - V&H Power Duals w/ Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons - Arlen Ness Big Sucker - BT4180.14 w/Arc Moto 602v2 and Polk MM652 - Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs - Advan Lowers - Freedom Shield 15"
macabra11 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Conneaut, OH
Posts: 209
with PV you have to export learned from auto tune screen
disable auto tune
load tune

If you didn't disable it you are still running in auto tune

watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-x9NcQ5TWc
conn-e-rot is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
JDisMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 183
Garage
It's not still in auto tune. I had it off the bike and completely disconnected and it still did the sputtering for the first minute of start up.
I was thinking the same thing at first. I figured once I took the PV out, it would go back to normal, but nope.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

--2019 RGS--
--2012 Road Glide Custom--Gone But Not Forotten
JDisMe is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Conneaut, OH
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDisMe View Post
It's not still in auto tune. I had it off the bike and completely disconnected and it still did the sputtering for the first minute of start up.
I was thinking the same thing at first. I figured once I took the PV out, it would go back to normal, but nope.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Unplugging it does not turn the settings back on that the auto tune disables this is a flash tuner not a piggy back
JDisMe and macabra11 like this.
conn-e-rot is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 845
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn-e-rot View Post
Unplugging it does not turn the settings back on that the auto tune disables this is a flash tuner not a piggy back
^^^^This.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 FLTRXS - V&H Power Duals w/ Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons - Arlen Ness Big Sucker - BT4180.14 w/Arc Moto 602v2 and Polk MM652 - Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs - Advan Lowers - Freedom Shield 15"
macabra11 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Rock Va.
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDisMe View Post
So I've been running a map that I got from Fuel Moto and I finally got around to auto tuning and before I even started riding, when I started the bike (I put the PV in auto tune before starting the bike), here was some kind of flashing over the auto tune cells saying "warm up" or something. I noticed right away that if I gave it some throttle, it would sputter and want to die. After like a minute, it was fine...

Rode 10-15 minutes and installed the auto tune corrections, then rode another 10-20 minutes and installed that one.

My bike feels like it is running a lot smoother and has better response. It felt like it was still running pretty hot but it definitely was running better.

So the next day, I unplug my PV and it still does this sputtering for like the first minute after initial start up. It never did that before my auto tuning began.

I'm wondering if I should re load the original tune and not start the tuning process until the bike is running already.

It never sputtered before and my buddy said he saw smoke coming out of the pipes at start up. So I'm thinking it's running rich at start up for some reason instead of lean.

Anyone had this issue with the auto tune basic?

Appreciate any insight here. I have a long trip coming up and don't want to screw anything up.

P.S. Forgot to add my set up: Drago's H Pipe w Dragula's, FM AC and PV.
Contact Jamie at Fuel moto send him your tune and he can look at what is going on with it and he will adjust and send the tune back to you.He will work with you till it's right i know i been through this.
JDisMe likes this.
steve2100 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
JDisMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 183
Garage
Great info guys.

I originally watched the older Dynojet auto tuning video on YouTube and I watched it again and he never mentions disabling auto tune, so maybe that's what I did. Ugh.

I'll check when I get home after work and see if I was a dope!
JDisMe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screamin' Eagle Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuning Module newfie ECM/Fuel Management systems 16 03-31-2019 08:30 PM
Engine noisy at initial startup after cam install warbird458 Engine Related 6 07-12-2016 10:50 AM
PV Auto tune not naming files sequentially Cash_ ECM/Fuel Management systems 1 06-07-2013 06:04 PM
PV auto tune Deadstroke ECM/Fuel Management systems 0 04-23-2013 09:06 AM
2010 FLTRX sputtering after exhaust removal kmokarry Troubleshooting for Road Glides 7 06-09-2012 02:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome