Driver backrest 90deg only? - Road Glide Forums
Seating: seats, backrests SEATING: seats, backrests for Road Glides

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Garage
Driver backrest 90deg only?

So I've been shoppin around for a driver's backrest, checked out the HD store as well as others, and scoured this section of the forum...

It seems like none of these backrests can lean back beyond 90 degrees. Hopefully, I'm mistaken, but the reviews for the Harley backrests that fit my ride (2017 FLTRX) complain about the seat being unable to bend any further back than 90 degrees straight up, and none of the product pages for other seats state that they DO actually have the ability to adjust backwards like any other normal adjustable seat in the world lol..

Was wondering if that's true, cuz that shit would suck.

Any light that can be shed on this would be mucho appreciated, thanks fellas.

2017 FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Vivid Black - 14" Chizeled apes, lighted hand controls, Hammock 2-up seat, King Tourpak, Bassani DNT slip-ons.. so far..
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ --- With Your Shield Or On It
RJGlide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Grey beard
 
UT_Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Valley City, Utah
Posts: 927
Garage
For the HD rider backrest it requires a mounting bracket, separate purchase. There are two different mounts. Fixed & adjustable. The fixed can be adjusted when installed. I have no personal experience with either type.
UT_Larry is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Garage
Thanks Larry, was hoping to get some insight into whether the backrests can lean back beyond the straight up 90 degree position. do you know if any of them do? or are we just left with the option of some DIY metal bending to get a backwards angle, like some people posted on here?

2017 FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Vivid Black - 14" Chizeled apes, lighted hand controls, Hammock 2-up seat, King Tourpak, Bassani DNT slip-ons.. so far..
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ --- With Your Shield Or On It
RJGlide is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Grey beard
 
BlazingSaddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlide View Post
was hoping to get some insight into whether the backrests can lean back beyond the straight up 90 degree position. do you know if any of them do?
RJ, can't speak for the "chicken neck" backrest, but I've got the adjustable backrest, and it leans back farther than you would probably need it to, so yes it leans back past the 90 degree upright position. The backrest itself is on a swivel so tilts to conform to your back. Very comfortable and very adjustable. Only disadvantage to the adjustable compared to the "chicken neck" is it doesn't flop forward and stay down so you can swing your leg over it. You can however push it down (it's spring loaded) and hold it down as you swing your leg over.
BlazingSaddle is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 931
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle View Post
RJ, can't speak for the "chicken neck" backrest, but I've got the adjustable backrest, and it leans back farther than you would probably need it to, so yes it leans back past the 90 degree upright position. The backrest itself is on a swivel so tilts to conform to your back. Very comfortable and very adjustable. Only disadvantage to the adjustable compared to the "chicken neck" is it doesn't flop forward and stay down so you can swing your leg over it. You can however push it down (it's spring loaded) and hold it down as you swing your leg over.
Agree with BlazingSaddle about the HD Adjustable Backrest. It goes back quite a bit and you pretty much feel like you are in a recliner. But with the flick of the switch is pops right back forward and is SUPER nice on long rides. As for the seat not staying down for getting on the bike, it's not a big deal for me. You can always flick the switch and let the backrest go all the way back before entering, which gives you more leg clearance. An old rider with bad hips taught me to enter the bike from the right side and "poke" my leg between the backrest and tank vs. "swinging" my leg over the backrest. Get off the same way. Takes a little practice.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 FLTRXS - V&H Power Duals w/ Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons - Arlen Ness Big Sucker - BT4180.14 w/Arc Moto 602v2 and Polk MM652 - Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs - Advan Lowers - Freedom Shield 15"
macabra11 is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nebraska
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by macabra11 View Post
Agree with BlazingSaddle about the HD Adjustable Backrest. It goes back quite a bit and you pretty much feel like you are in a recliner. But with the flick of the switch is pops right back forward and is SUPER nice on long rides. As for the seat not staying down for getting on the bike, it's not a big deal for me. You can always flick the switch and let the backrest go all the way back before entering, which gives you more leg clearance. An old rider with bad hips taught me to enter the bike from the right side and "poke" my leg between the backrest and tank vs. "swinging" my leg over the backrest. Get off the same way. Takes a little practice.
Agree with "poking" your leg between tank and backrest. My HD adjustable backrest didn't adjust low enough to be comfortable for me, so I cut a 1in. piece out of the support bar. At the weld shop today. I wouldn't recommend trying to bend anything, very hard steel.
railer60 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Hangaround
 
RealCowboyMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 82
Garage
This is what I use.. from KURYAKYN. The pad can flip for a further back pad. Yes I have to do the "Poke" method to get on/off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backrest.jpg (185.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg backrest1.jpg (108.6 KB, 46 views)
RealCowboyMD is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Garage
Awesome, thanks for the input fellas. looks like an adjustable backrest is in my future... then miles upon miles of knuckles in the wind

2017 FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Vivid Black - 14" Chizeled apes, lighted hand controls, Hammock 2-up seat, King Tourpak, Bassani DNT slip-ons.. so far..
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ --- With Your Shield Or On It
RJGlide is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Member
 
IdahoHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 523
Garage
Don't know if the models have changed over the years, but I just bought the nicer adjustable rider's backrest last summer. It adjusts between 90 degrees straight up, down to laying flat on the rider's seat. The adjustment is useless. It doesn't really adjust at all. It just keeps your spine straight up.

Talking to the service manager, who agrees that it's a crap design. He took the metal upright off the bike and bent it a little bit in the shop press. No charge. Now it goes ever so slightly back of vertical, so it's fine.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 FLTRXS, SE Ventilator A/C, V&H Pro Pipe, S&S/Crane Chris Rivas Rocket 574 cams, Chris Rivas V-Twin dyno tune: 103 hp, 108 tq.
IdahoHacker is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RJGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 33
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker View Post
Don't know if the models have changed over the years, but I just bought the nicer adjustable rider's backrest last summer. It adjusts between 90 degrees straight up, down to laying flat on the rider's seat. The adjustment is useless. It doesn't really adjust at all. It just keeps your spine straight up.

Talking to the service manager, who agrees that it's a crap design. He took the metal upright off the bike and bent it a little bit in the shop press. No charge. Now it goes ever so slightly back of vertical, so it's fine.
doesn't sound much nicer.. so i need to look for the ghetto version of the adjustable backrest, i guess? hope they'll fit the 2017 models.. and i'm also getting a hammock 2up seat with the tourpak for passenger (and rider, I hope) comfort. Hope the backrest doesn't conflict with that

2017 FLTRX Road Glide Custom, Vivid Black - 14" Chizeled apes, lighted hand controls, Hammock 2-up seat, King Tourpak, Bassani DNT slip-ons.. so far..
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ --- With Your Shield Or On It
RJGlide is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics only....is it possible to only keep pics in this post?! LOL! Chicago Harley Boy *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 132 06-17-2013 10:18 AM
Seat/Driver backrest/Rider backrest FS GLYDDN11 Parts for Sale 13 03-07-2013 03:05 PM
90deg intakes NakedSnowman *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 4 09-28-2011 01:32 PM
Anyone running a Mustang Super Touring One-Piece Vintage Seat with Driver Backrest ? Q-Dog Seating: seats, backrests 13 05-11-2011 03:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome