Infotainment GPS woes - Page 12 - Road Glide Forums
 55Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Texas
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSpark View Post
Have you tried Furkot?
www.furkot.com
I thought I had seen most all of the route planning tools, but hadn't come across this one before. Looks pretty good. How long have you been using?

Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
RoadTrip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Life Member
 
ChromeSpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 2,421
Garage
About a month, things to still figure out. Two day trip, imported, worked fine but could have used some tweaking. The tweaking might have been the GPS intervening. IDK


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's a motorcycle, itīs not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then."
ChromeSpark is offline  
post #113 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Spearfish, SD USA
Posts: 24
My first year with the Infotainment system I cussed it a lot. I have since mastered it. At present I do not import a multiple day ride but start each morning with uploading the route for the day.

If I could have a wish I would like to be able to import an entire trip (multi-days) and not have the route broken into a bunch of smaller routes. Has anyone found an answer to that issue?

I did find the infotainment videos sold by Law Abiding Biker to be a great tool.
Cdan19 likes this.
BlackHillsRider is offline  
 
post #114 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHillsRider View Post
My first year with the Infotainment system I cussed it a lot. I have since mastered it. At present I do not import a multiple day ride but start each morning with uploading the route for the day.

If I could have a wish I would like to be able to import an entire trip (multi-days) and not have the route broken into a bunch of smaller routes. Has anyone found an answer to that issue?

I did find the infotainment videos sold by Law Abiding Biker to be a great tool.
When we went to Sturgis from California in 2016, I had set up two multi-day trips in Garmin Basecamp, one to Sturgis, and one back (we came back a different route). Each trip had the entire one-way route for multiple days. I used Basecamp to create the two routes/gpx files, imported both gpx files, and kicked off the Home to Sturgis route. Every morning, the infortainment would pick up right where we left off the previous night, and we continued on to the next destination/stop.

For our trip back from Sturgis, I simply selected the Sturgis to Home trip I had already imported, and kicked it off, and it worked just as well going home. The key is to add enough waypoints to accurately force the infotainment system to follow your desired route and stops.

I still use Basecamp for all long rides for our group, and it always works great; except one time, when I didn't select a major street as a waypoint, and it took us through residential neighborhoods because the route was "shorter", but that was my fault for assuming it would route through that major street without adding it as a waypoint.

Basecamp is a little hard to get the hang of initially, but once you have it down, it works awesome with the infotainment system. There are free online Basecamp videos which are very helpful.

2015 Road Glide Special

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caberto; 02-05-2018 at 10:03 AM.
caberto is offline  
post #115 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Spearfish, SD USA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberto View Post
When we went to Sturgis from California in 2016, I had set up two multi-day trips in Garmin Basecamp, one to Sturgis, and one back (we came back a different route). Each trip had the entire one-way route for multiple days. I used Basecamp to create the two routes/gpx files, imported both gpx files, and kicked off the Home to Sturgis route. Every morning, the infortainment would pick up right where we left off the previous night, and we continued on to the next destination/stop.

For our trip back from Sturgis, I simply selected the Sturgis to Home trip I had already imported, and kicked it off, and it worked just as well going home. The key is to add enough waypoints to accurately force the infotainment system to follow your desired route and stops.

I still use Basecamp for all long rides for our group, and it always works great; except one time, when I didn't select a major street as a waypoint, and it took us through residential neighborhoods because the route was "shorter", but that was my fault for assuming it would route through that major street without adding it as a waypoint.

Basecamp is a little hard to get the hang of initially, but once you have it down, it works awesome with the infotainment system. There are free online Basecamp videos which are very helpful.
I am not sure why my infotainment will not do the long routes. If I import a long route, using Harley Planner, it breaks it up into segments. So it might take me across part of Wyoming and then it just ends, usually in unhandy locations. Then I have to go back into saved routes and choose segment two. For example, I save a route imported as CalAdventure. After importing when I go into the GPS saved routes it will list CalAdventure 1, CalAdventure2, etc. So CalAdventure1 takes me for a portion of the route, then ends in the middle of no where. Maybe I need to explore Basecamp?
BlackHillsRider is offline  
post #116 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHillsRider View Post
I am not sure why my infotainment will not do the long routes. If I import a long route, using Harley Planner, it breaks it up into segments. So it might take me across part of Wyoming and then it just ends, usually in unhandy locations. Then I have to go back into saved routes and choose segment two. For example, I save a route imported as CalAdventure. After importing when I go into the GPS saved routes it will list CalAdventure 1, CalAdventure2, etc. So CalAdventure1 takes me for a portion of the route, then ends in the middle of no where. Maybe I need to explore Basecamp?
I have found that if you make a long continous route in ride planner by adding destinations along the way it will break it up into multiple routes when you try to load it into the bikes system.
So... when you're done with your route in the planner if you go back and make your destinations way points (by right clicking on them) just leaving your start and end as destinations it will load as one route. When loading it into the bike select "all" and you should have one route for your ride. At least this is what works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
bkgabby is offline  
post #117 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Newbie
 
kw35763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 34
2 Things:

1. You must enter in waypoints into the HD Ride Planner to force it to select the route you want to use. Select your start and stop locations and then enter waypoints and move the track. Otherwise, the Infotainment System GPS will select the route it thinks is the most efficient and best way to go. I do that and it works fine. That is also what I had to do when I was using my ZUMO GPS on my Ultra before I went to a RGU. Keep in mind that each model of GPS has a different algorithm that is designed to do the same thing...............get you from point A to point B. It is up to you to tell it how to do it.

2. Update the S/W on your Infotainment System.............available from the HD website for free. Just make sure that you are using a completely blank thumb drive to do it. The update solves several issues that I had been having.............i.e........... making me turn-around if the waypoint was not in the middle of the r/h lane and starting over when I shut the bike off.

Good Luck & Ride On!
kw35763 is offline  
post #118 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Newbie
 
actfitwil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Sorry to bust in on your thread but anyone having this issue: My infotainment system has been jumping from my thumb drive to the radio spontaneously with me touching anything while driving. totally sucks...

Actfitwil
.The greatest Prison people live in Is the Fear of what other peole think..
actfitwil is offline  
post #119 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Hangaround
 
outlawrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 69
Garage
After delving into the .gpx file I think I finally understand how these things transfer routes. The only thing that transfers when uploading route into the nav, whether Boom! Box or otherwise the only thing you get are the waypoints, or destinations. Each time you drag the route around those points are not transferred, they must be made into waypoints or destinations. From there it is up to the individual unit to connect the dots, so in order to get the same route on two different devises the settings (avoid highways, prefer scenic routes, etc) must be identical. Or, as others have previously stated with enough waypoints on a map the two devices would have no choice but the mirror the routes.
RoadTrip likes this.
outlawrench is offline  
post #120 of 129 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 48
No GPS?

I'm sorry if this was answered before and I missed it...

Do some RGs come without a GPS?
Doc Sauce is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody using a regular GPS in their bike? Not a motorcycle specific GPS twincam103b Do-IT-Yourself 21 06-07-2018 04:22 PM
Normal GPS vs Motorcycle GPS dinggus GPS 23 06-07-2017 01:39 PM
InfoTainment GPS upgrades anyone?? K1600FLHX *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 26 05-04-2016 05:47 PM
InfoTainment GPS upgrades anyone?/ K1600FLHX GPS 44 11-09-2015 07:43 PM
speedometer woes GliderAbe Troubleshooting for Road Glides 6 04-19-2012 09:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome