Road Glide banner

Front End Question

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  twrguy 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade front end..Progressive mono tubes, Arlen Ness lowers and boots. My question,..is it necessary to remove the inner fairing to do this??

#3 ·
No need to touch inner or outer fairing , if your just doing Monotubes & Cow bells.

#6 ·
Thanks!!

Once again,, THANKS GUYS!!!!
I will be doing this project on Saturday. I will upload pics as well.

#8 ·
Front End Complete

Finally got all of my parts and completed the install on Saturday. I will be posting pictures and video as soon as I get it edited together. I only ran into one minor snag. The left side bottom Allen bolt stripped when I tried to remove it. I had to go to 3 different places to to get an extension and easy out that would fit in the small hole at the bottom of the fork. I SHOULD HAVE STARTED AT HARBOR FREIGHT!! I could have saved myself 3 hours of driving around. Even the replacement bolts I got from the dealer seem a little shallow so if you are doing this be careful to get a good bite straight on so you don't have the headache I got :) Without that snag this would have been a 3 hour job max!! Everything else was straight forward as posted on other videos. No problems with fairing at all, only instrument cluster needs to be removed. I was able to get the fork cap bolts off with a crescent wrench. My handle bars did not allow for use of the 1 3/8" socket ( I could have moved the bars but the crescent worked fine) I am going to show some of the tools I used and made in the install video. Again thanks to this Forum for reducing the "pucker" factor in tackling these projects!!!

#10 ·
Nice job, looks great. I wonder how those sliders will hold up to nicks & chips from road debris. I was going to go powder black on the sliders and those cow bells but decided not to , due to nicks and chips.

#11 ·
Thanks, I will keep an eye on wear and post results after time. Anything is better than stock though!!!

#14 ·
Standard Version not lowered

I wasn't sure how long it would be before I upgrade to a 21" front tire so I wanted some flexibility. I spoke with Progressive and they said I could just leave out the pre-tension clips and I could achieve nearly an inch of lowering which I did. I did not take any measurements prior to install, but looking at the before and after pictures it does appear to be slightly lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.