Madstad settings help - Road Glide Forums
Windshields Windshields for Road Glides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Katy
Posts: 19
Madstad settings help

I'm having trouble finding a sweet spot. How far out is the bottom of your shield from the fairing? (Shield depth). I've tried many angles and don't think that's my issue. I'm also wondering if my bracket is set up correctly. I'm trying to attach a pic showing what hole settings I'm using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.2 KB, 108 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Katy, TX -
texasridr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
Mine is set up on the 2nd hole like yours is and I'm @ a 57-59 degree angle. My shield is at chin level.
pat123 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Grey beard
 
Bull_Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 941
Chin level. Parallel to metal base plate. About 2" distant from base plate. 13" MadStad. 6' w 32" inseam.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bull_Duck is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Prospect
 
2stangs8689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lockport, NY
Posts: 257
I am having trouble getting more than 60 deg angle on mine.
2stangs8689 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Life Member
 
ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Levy County, Florida
Posts: 1,651
Garage
texasridr: Check the previous posts on Madstad. There has been many in the past.
I put the Robo bracket on the base the way is came out of the box.
Looking over the top of the shield around nose height. I don't go by the opening at the bottom but the degree tilt of the shield. I set my shield looking over the top and tilt at 58 degrees. If you have a smart phone down load the Protractor 360 App. When you riding the air runs up both sides of the shield and also under the fairing. Buy the $30 HD engine guard air defectors. I also added the Sancho Wings. Every deflector did their job and made the sweet spot better. Ride and add two degrees to the shield each time. I got to 64 and back it down to 60 and worked back to 56 two degrees at every ride. Then i left the robo knobs just tight enough that I could tilt either way at a stop sign or traffic signal. When I found the sweet spot I measured with my I phone and it read 59... I would use the 59 for the next day and move the shield during the around town and high speed ride. The testing always come out between 60 and 57 degrees I split the difference and went with 58. Several Madstad owners have 58 degrees as the sweet spot. Mark at Madstad Engineering told me the shield is designed to raise and lower the shield but keep the tilt consistent once you find the sweet spot. My passenger sits higher then me so I need to have the shield defect the air over her helmet! I need to raise the shield so I am just below eye level. At high speed I raise my hand up checking the height of the air feeling if it rides up over my passengers helmet. High speed interstate 64 degree tilt is what we lock in. If its raining I could raise the shield to its highest point and close the gap to 70 degrees and hide behind it . I personally have not had many long rides in the pouring rain since buying the Madstad.
ichiban is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Katy
Posts: 19
I've been using the protractor 360 app and angling at about 58 degree. the height is at near nose level ( which is higher than my liking). At this point, the bottom of the shield is about 1-5/8" away from the fairing. I wonder how much gap is needed here to create the optimal draft. The wind hits my forehead. I guess ill call Madstad, but I thought I'd check with y'all first since there's been so much good feedback.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Katy, TX -

Last edited by texasridr; 04-12-2014 at 08:11 PM.
texasridr is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,111
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
texasridr: Check the previous posts on Madstad. There has been many in the past.
I put the Robo bracket on the base the way is came out of the box.
Looking over the top of the shield around nose height. I don't go by the opening at the bottom but the degree tilt of the shield. I set my shield looking over the top and tilt at 58 degrees. If you have a smart phone down load the Protractor 360 App. When you riding the air runs up both sides of the shield and also under the fairing. Buy the $30 HD engine guard air defectors. I also added the Sancho Wings. Every deflector did their job and made the sweet spot better. Ride and add two degrees to the shield each time. I got to 64 and back it down to 60 and worked back to 56 two degrees at every ride. Then i left the robo knobs just tight enough that I could tilt either way at a stop sign or traffic signal. When I found the sweet spot I measured with my I phone and it read 59... I would use the 59 for the next day and move the shield during the around town and high speed ride. The testing always come out between 60 and 57 degrees I split the difference and went with 58. Several Madstad owners have 58 degrees as the sweet spot. Mark at Madstad Engineering told me the shield is designed to raise and lower the shield but keep the tilt consistent once you find the sweet spot. My passenger sits higher then me so I need to have the shield defect the air over her helmet! I need to raise the shield so I am just below eye level. At high speed I raise my hand up checking the height of the air feeling if it rides up over my passengers helmet. High speed interstate 64 degree tilt is what we lock in. If its raining I could raise the shield to its highest point and close the gap to 70 degrees and hide behind it . I personally have not had many long rides in the pouring rain since buying the Madstad.
Plus one on the other wind baffles. I have the same , plus the dog dish. The wind shield by it self is not enough.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Life Member
 
ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Levy County, Florida
Posts: 1,651
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasridr View Post
I've been using the protractor 360 app and angling at about 58 degree. the height is at near nose level ( which is higher than my liking). At this point, the bottom of the shield is about 1-5/8" away from the fairing. I wonder how much gap is needed here to create the optimal draft. The wind hits my forehead. I guess ill call Madstad, but I thought I'd check with y'all first since there's been so much good feedback.
Set the shield where you like it. (between chin and eye level( If the wind is hitting your forehead then the angle needs to be changed to 60+ and feel if the air is raising higher. Do you have the new Style Robo bracket? 70 Degree max?
We have several here on our forum that have ran the Madstad for years and thousands of miles that can answer your question. Give it some time
ichiban is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Grey beard
 
Bull_Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post

.... Buy the $30 HD engine guard air defectors. I also added the Sancho Wings. Every deflector did their job and made the sweet spot better. ...
.
I too have the dish and Sancho's. Very comfortable for touring. Considering the Harley-Davidson part #57000063. All the parts work together well. But when is too much? If I want wind in the face, breeze on the knees, I ride the Deuce.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bull_Duck is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Katy
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
Mine is set up on the 2nd hole like yours is and I'm @ a 57-59 degree angle. My shield is at chin level.
The 2nd hole for both bolts, right? The one nearest to the rider actually has two holes that are together, giving sort of an a/b option. The nut covers up both of them.

My bracket was not shipped to me with the correct setting originally and I spoke to someone at Madstad who assisted in figuring that out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Katy, TX -
texasridr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with Thundermax autotuner AFR settings Tofast4u ECM/Fuel Management systems 3 06-06-2013 03:40 PM
Tell us your Madstad settings?? 1BadGlide Windshields 9 06-05-2013 07:08 AM
Amp settings outlawjessejames Audio 8 04-04-2013 10:39 AM
Optimal Music Settings gkgold90 Audio 5 05-12-2012 07:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome