Buky Assault bars and engine guard install
OK, first off I am no Harley guru but I have several riding buddies and we all get together and work on our bikes. We have done probably done 10 or so sets of bars. My 2013 RGC is the first fly by wire bike we have done and we wanted to learn and learn we did.
I installed four major componenets. I want to list them next and go through each one. I want to tell everyone my real world experience on these parts with MY experience because it seems to differ from many. Not just the install but the whole experience of buying and using these parts. I am not "ragging" on anyone here, I just want to document my experience for anyone looking to do this type of install. Then I will get to the install. Pictures might have to follow later.
1. Buky 16 inch assault bars
2. Buky engine guard
3. Magnum Black Pearl cables
4. M3 Metalworks Ghost brackets
1. I had a hard time even contacting Buky. I called them many, many times and very rarely got to actually speak to anyone. I left messages and never once had them call me back. I loved their bars after seeing them on Vic's Myroadglide.com and had to have them. When I finally talked with them I had many questions and was directed to ask Vic or go on his blog. ????? The lady on the phone wasn't much help. I ordered the bars and wiring extension. The lady messed up my order and didn't put the extension order in. Yes you guessed it, several unanswered calls later I got that straightened out. They charged me a fortune for shipping. I don't know why. I expected to wait on the bars and I did. The arrived and one bar end was sticking out of the box about 4 inches. I was mad but no damage occured. The bars ended up looking Beautiful! Powder coat was like glass (remember this for later) and welds were slick. Very Happy with them. They forgot the wiring extensions! Yes, several calls later I informed them they neglected to send the wires. They sent them a few days later, no big deal.
2. The engine guards were ordered after the bars. I didn't understand how they worked. The lady I talked to at Buky didn't understand how they worked. She told me to go online and ask how they worked. Really? I asked Vic what held the blinkers and lower fairing and he told me he used M3 Metalwork ghost fairing brackets. OK. So I ordered the engine guard from Buky. They arrived and like the bars were a fortune in shipping. However, they are also beautiful. Workmanship is awesome. Seriously, dealing with Buky was not the best experience but their products are awesome.
3. I ordered black pearl cables from Magnum Shielding and a lady I talked to on the phone had no advice what so ever for me on lengths. So, after asking on this forum I went +6 clutch and brake cables and ordered the lower twin disc brake lines as per punching in my year and bike in their website. I received them and was pleased with the looks and quality. The lower Non ABS line I got is the one the website told me to get but the box said '08-'09. It was different than my original but after some work we got it to fit.
4. The M3 Metalworks brackets took quite a while to order. The owner said they were moving so it might be a while. No big deal. Life gets in the way, I understand. They moved and he told me to wait while he found a new powder coater and when he found one that did the work to his satisfaction he would send me the brackets. OK. I was sent the brackets and the powder coat job was the worst I have ever seen. The brackets looked to me like they were cut and shaped and then sent to PC. The edges were sharp and jagged and the PC was all "bubbly". Do I want to wait another long time or keep them so I can see the new engine guard? I kept them. I am going to send a lot of stuff to powder coat so i figured I could file the edges and re PC them. Turns out they are very well designed and fit perfectly, the fit and finish is HORRIBLE on them. I ended up putting some car door edge trim on the edges for now so they won't chew up my cables.
Next the install.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2013 Candy Orange RGC, just starting on it!