Need a little direction... - Road Glide Forums
Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Need a little direction...

Trying to figure out a better solution for bars on a '15, figured you gents could lend a hand. I ran 16k miles with the stockers rotated forward, found them a little low and the wrist angle to be uncomfortable on longer runs. So, after much reading and research, I ordered up a set of Road6 11" standards. Install went well, tried setting them in line with the forks and found that position comfortable for the hand and wrist, but too far away. Adjusted them back to bring them closer, only to find that the wrist angle went to shit and any height difference from stock was now gone.

What I'm looking for is a bar that is ~33" wide that brings my hands just a couple inches lower than my shoulder and keeps them behind my knee. I prefer to keep my elbow relaxed and below my wrist with my wrist below my hand. Pictures of your 'magic bullet' bars from the side with the forks straight and on the stop would be very helpful for visual representation.
r_einan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,789
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_einan View Post
Trying to figure out a better solution for bars on a '15, figured you gents could lend a hand. I ran 16k miles with the stockers rotated forward, found them a little low and the wrist angle to be uncomfortable on longer runs. So, after much reading and research, I ordered up a set of Road6 11" standards. Install went well, tried setting them in line with the forks and found that position comfortable for the hand and wrist, but too far away. Adjusted them back to bring them closer, only to find that the wrist angle went to shit and any height difference from stock was now gone.

What I'm looking for is a bar that is ~33" wide that brings my hands just a couple inches lower than my shoulder and keeps them behind my knee. I prefer to keep my elbow relaxed and below my wrist with my wrist below my hand. Pictures of your 'magic bullet' bars from the side with the forks straight and on the stop would be very helpful for visual representation.
What year bike? None the less sounds like you need to go to some bigger bike events that have different vendors so you can try many different bars. Another option is to hit up some of your riding buddy's that have different bars and see if you can sit on their bike to get an idea.
Jacksprat56 likes this.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Again, it's a '15, and thanks to work, family, and geographical location, 'big' rallies with numerous vendors are difficult to attend. I'm also the only new shark in my group of riding friends. Which is why I thought some other roadglide bretheren could take a moment to share a pic of their choices and their thoughts.

RE
r_einan is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Newbie
 
Bullfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 20
I have a 17 RGU and I went with the Road6 Customs 13" Standard Apes. I really like them and install was very simple but I would like to have about 3" more pullback and another inch or two of rise. I also have them in line with the forks. Once I can decide on which bars to go with, I will probably put these up for sale. I had Wild One 12-1/2" Bagger Bars on my last bike (Electra Glide), and I really liked them. The only reaso that I didn't go with them for the RGU is that my riser is 1-1/4" and the Wild One bars are 1", where they mount to the riser. There are a lot to choose from, good luck.

Bullfrog
Bullfrog is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
I have a 17 RGU and I went with the Road6 Customs 13" Standard Apes. I really like them and install was very simple but I would like to have about 3" more pullback and another inch or two of rise. I also have them in line with the forks. Once I can decide on which bars to go with, I will probably put these up for sale. I had Wild One 12-1/2" Bagger Bars on my last bike (Electra Glide), and I really liked them. The only reaso that I didn't go with them for the RGU is that my riser is 1-1/4" and the Wild One bars are 1", where they mount to the riser. There are a lot to choose from, good luck.

Bullfrog
After some more research, I found Wild1 612 outlawz, 33.5 W x 12 T x 8 pullback. The negative is having to use their clamp system because these bars are necked down to 1" in the center. Might be worth a little more research.

Anyone running these on a '15 and up?

RE
r_einan is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Life Member
 
SteadyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,092
Garage
Had HD 12 inch Tall Boys on my '15 and loved them - Width, Height and Pullback were perfect for me - I am '5'11 with a 34 inseam and ran a CVO seat that sat me back and down an inch in each - Elbows were slightly bent and hands were slightly below the shoulders

Oh and stock cables were fine too

- Just Because I Wander Means Not That I am Lost -
SteadyEddie is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Prospect
 
MisterEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
Had HD 12 inch Tall Boys on my '15 and loved them - Width, Height and Pullback were perfect for me - I am '5'11 with a 34 inseam and ran a CVO seat that sat me back and down an inch in each - Elbows were slightly bent and hands were slightly below the shoulders

Oh and stock cables were fine too

6'1 and ditto above.

Also no pinch in the neck/shoulders.
MisterEd is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,212
Garage
I've had some of the same issues with handlebars, for my 10 I went with Carlini Bag Drags, that solved my problem. But Carlini doesn't make them for 15 up. For the 17 I'm still experimenting, (it's expensive), I have a set of 10" apes on now that give an aggressive stance, but are just a bit wide, (39"). I'm starting to get used to them, but I also have some 14" bars that will be here this week, and....... after talking with Jim at BR Customs he claims he can make a set of bars with the same specs as my Carlinis, so long story short, I'm going to have bars for sale soon. I wish I had listened to Jim when I first talked with him back in January and had him make me a set of custom bars, but that's another story. You might want to go to BR Customs web page then give him a call, that way the bars can be made to your specs.
dbell66253 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
Had HD 12 inch Tall Boys on my '15 and loved them - Width, Height and Pullback were perfect for me - I am '5'11 with a 34 inseam and ran a CVO seat that sat me back and down an inch in each - Elbows were slightly bent and hands were slightly below the shoulders

Oh and stock cables were fine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddie View Post
Had HD 12 inch Tall Boys on my '15 and loved them - Width, Height and Pullback were perfect for me - I am '5'11 with a 34 inseam and ran a CVO seat that sat me back and down an inch in each - Elbows were slightly bent and hands were slightly below the shoulders

Oh and stock cables were fine too

6'1 and ditto above.

Also no pinch in the neck/shoulders.
You gentlemen wouldn't happen to have side profile pics of the tall boy bars, would you?

How was the wrist angle compared to stock?
r_einan is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
r_einan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
I've had some of the same issues with handlebars, for my 10 I went with Carlini Bag Drags, that solved my problem. But Carlini doesn't make them for 15 up. For the 17 I'm still experimenting, (it's expensive), I have a set of 10" apes on now that give an aggressive stance, but are just a bit wide, (39"). I'm starting to get used to them, but I also have some 14" bars that will be here this week, and....... after talking with Jim at BR Customs he claims he can make a set of bars with the same specs as my Carlinis, so long story short, I'm going to have bars for sale soon. I wish I had listened to Jim when I first talked with him back in January and had him make me a set of custom bars, but that's another story. You might want to go to BR Customs web page then give him a call, that way the bars can be made to your specs.
An interesting idea, I hadn't considered having a one-off set made up. How painful is the pricing?
r_einan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready for engine mods, which direction? LM1976 Engine Related 26 05-02-2014 06:23 PM
Painters! Direction needed Venomized Paint & Bodywork Section 1 12-01-2013 08:04 PM
John I need some audio direction Eddie-Diesel J&M 5 02-09-2013 05:59 PM
Harley's new direction - Higher quality or just Higher Profits? Uncle Fuzzy *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 25 04-20-2012 06:29 AM
Thinking of taking my bike in a different direction... TracyB *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 68 05-02-2011 04:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome