I dont know if I am up for this. - Road Glide Forums
Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 42
I dont know if I am up for this.

I have a set of 14" Gangster Apes sitting in the box at my house waiting to be installed. I am out of town for work and I am doing some research for my install. I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_rXjTnnvjY and now I am second guessing my ability to pull this off seems like alot of work especially the clutch and brake lines they pulled the seat and gas tank. Does anybody know of any shops in the salt lake city to ogden area? I have called a few dealerships and they want between 500-700 to install bars...Ouch seems kinda high for professionals with all the know how and tools.
Zoomin31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,212
Garage
What year bike do you have? If it's 08-13 pulling the tank and seat are too simple, still pretty easy on the older models also. The hardest part to changing bars IMO is getting the wiring through the bars, the rest is pretty easy. Do you have a service manual? The manual will help with this and many other projects, if you have a little patience and any kind of skill you can do the bar swap, unless you have money to throw away it's not worth the kind of $$$ some shops want for the install.

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
What year bike do you have? If it's 08-13 pulling the tank and seat are too simple, still pretty easy on the older models also. The hardest part to changing bars IMO is getting the wiring through the bars, the rest is pretty easy. Do you have a service manual? The manual will help with this and many other projects, if you have a little patience and any kind of skill you can do the bar swap, unless you have money to throw away it's not worth the kind of $$$ some shops want for the install.

I have a 2013 and I bought the 1.5" gangsters I figured the wires would slide through pretty easy.
Zoomin31 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,212
Garage
The wires will go through easy except where there are sharp angles or curves. When I wire bars I usually pull them through with a steel wire, and some kind of lubricant, the lubricant makes the job so much easier. Also sometimes you may have to make the opening slightly larger on th handle bars, it goes on a case by case basis.

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Grey beard
 
RedneckMedic66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 836
It took me all of ten minutes to slide the wires through on my gangsters. I have 16" and did not extend the wiring. The clutch and brake lines are easy. Get a mightyvac to bleed the brakes. The hardest part about the clutch is the monster snap ring for the ball ramp assembly and then threading the new cable into the clutch cover just because it wants to be a whore.

You can do it. It took me and my buddy a day to do it and we really had no clue. Just take your time label if you need to and if you get stuck pm me and I'll give you my number and you can call if you get stuck.

I hate seeing people spend that much money to get something bolted on. The dealer quoted my buddy 400 to install his harley heated grips. We had them installed in 30 minutes. Always check this forum somebody has usually done the mod already and has had trouble at some point so the answers are hear.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLIDE OR DIE!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RedneckMedic66 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMedic66 View Post
It took me all of ten minutes to slide the wires through on my gangsters. I have 16" and did not extend the wiring. The clutch and brake lines are easy. Get a mightyvac to bleed the brakes. The hardest part about the clutch is the monster snap ring for the ball ramp assembly and then threading the new cable into the clutch cover just because it wants to be a whore.

You can do it. It took me and my buddy a day to do it and we really had no clue. Just take your time label if you need to and if you get stuck pm me and I'll give you my number and you can call if you get stuck.

I hate seeing people spend that much money to get something bolted on. The dealer quoted my buddy 400 to install his harley heated grips. We had them installed in 30 minutes. Always check this forum somebody has usually done the mod already and has had trouble at some point so the answers are hear.
Your electrical wires were long enough with 16"? Where did you get your cable kit? I saw the one from La choppers made for 12-14" apes is this a good kit? What about your 1.5" riser where did you get yours? I appreciate your offer to help maybe I can tackle this.

Last edited by Zoomin31; 04-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Zoomin31 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Grey beard
 
RedneckMedic66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 836
I got the cables and risers from la choppers. The wires are long enough they just arent attached to the clips in the fairing anymore. The riser from la choppers was very nice but i believe carlini offers one as well.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLIDE OR DIE!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RedneckMedic66 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Member
 
spokanebagfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane Washington
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin31 View Post
Your electrical wires were long enough with 16"? Where did you get your cable kit? I saw the one from La choppers made for 12-14" apes is this a good kit? What about your 1.5" riser where did you get yours? I appreciate your offer to help maybe I can tackle this.


Zoom alot of people have said you don't need wiring extensions for these apes. Also you can get the riser from La Choppers for around a 100 bucks there is one rfor a road king and on for the Road glide the road king one has been reported to work fine, and is 20 dollars cheaper.
spokanebagfan is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Grey beard
 
RedneckMedic66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 836
I used the goad glide one. It is shaped so that it fits around the ignition switch.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLIDE OR DIE!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RedneckMedic66 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMedic66 View Post
I got the cables and risers from la choppers. The wires are long enough they just arent attached to the clips in the fairing anymore. The riser from la choppers was very nice but i believe carlini offers one as well.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Your TBW was long enough also?
Zoomin31 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You Guys Already Know I am Crazy....So SteadyEddie General Off-Topic Discussions 90 05-16-2017 08:21 AM
i know i know i know but....... maddmoe *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 2 09-02-2014 07:51 AM
Sorry I am not getting PM'S dont know why. DragoBikeWorks *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 1 01-27-2012 10:10 AM
Bout $620.00 Bucs? + Shipping? I Dont Know Neano62 Audio 9 12-15-2011 11:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome